How Many 1993 Cobras Still Exist?

Only running cars and cars that still have a VIN maybe waiting restoration or update.

• 0-1000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1001-2000

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • 2001-3000

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • 3001-4000

Votes: 27 47.4%
  • 4001-5000

Votes: 6 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jspalmer01

Established Member
How many total 1993 cobras do you think still exist? ....driven daily, driven occasionally, in pieces waiting to be restored. I say 2500. If you have any insurance data or other source of info please share. Thanks

It's just for fun.......

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
I voted between 4001-5000. There are several popping up out of the wood work with low miles and there are a few that have popped up that have less than 100 miles on them

992 is alot of car to be gone in any way.

jspalmer01

Established Member
Really? After 13 years you think most are still around?

I will share what information I have (and don't take this as anything scientific)...In the late 1990's a friend of mine in an SVT type club (who had an insurance company contact) did a national database filtered search by VIN. At that time, which was at least 6 years ago, the VIN search pulled up a little over 3000 cars.

Any insurance guys out there who can run a search?

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
Stolen cars are recovered and I bet half of them make it to the crusher.

Alot of them are weekend cars and some garage queens.

If people dont have insurance on them then you would not know about them being alive or dead.

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
3001 to 4000 has my vote. I don't know how many people see my car and say "I had one just like that but I totalled it".

kcp203

Established Member
I really think that at least half have either been totalled or beat on so badly and have high miles that their main value will be for obsolete Cobra parts.

I know of several that were totalled, including 2 from the dealer I bought my car from in '93 that were totalled within a month of delivery. I have to believe that there were many others.

As for the low mile cars showing up right now, I think it is mainly because the value has gone up quite a bit over the past year and some owners are cashing out. The current prices have me thinking about testing the market for my car.

CO9B3RA

Established Member
'93 Teal #629

When I finally bought most of 2 years ago, an insurance friend at the time said conservatively over 30% of the street Cobras were totaled. For me that meant it would be a sound investment because of the dwindling #'s left.

Luckily my classic insurance co. had "exotic" ins so it doesn't cost an "arm and a leg" to insure it for a stated value. And since then, even tho
I've put only 2.5k miles on it, I've had a blast driving it to my SAMC outings, car shows and cruises. I'm having the best of both: an investment and a kick-ass, sporty car to drive!

I would conservatively say back then there were less than 3,500 that hadn't
been totaled.....now we may be knocking on the door of less than 3,000. :shrug:
:coolman:

Last edited:

jspalmer01

Established Member
CO9B3RA said:
When I finally bought most of 2 years ago, an insurance friend at the time said conservatively over 30% of the street Cobras were totaled. For me that meant it would be a sound investment because of the dwindling #'s left.I would conservatively say back then there were less than 3,500 that hadn't been totaled.....now we may be knocking on the door of less than 3,000. :shrug:
:coolman:

Your insurance information has a close correlation to what I have heard.

Last edited:

93KingCobra

Established Member
I say 3001-4000

I know I had 1 of those stolen out of my driveway about 7 years ago :(
and it was never found....

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
I say 2-3K remain. I've heard TONS of stories about totaled cars in the last 10 years since I've had mine. These cars have been on the road for 13 years now.

Value wise I think that as time goes on the pristine examples will continue to sell for very high prices. I think they will eventually be selling at the levels of that the old Boss's sell for nowadays. The Fox body is the one that brought the Mustang back to prominence and is a main ingredient in the rise of performance cars over the last 15 years. The ripple effect from the musclecar wars of the 90s has spread through the entire automotive industry. Hell, even Dodge is bringing back a musclecar. The Mustang's power levels always had a responsive effect from GM. With the two companies trying to outdo each other GM's top of the line product, the Corvette, was pushed to higher performance levels. You know that as of late when these Ferraris and Lambos have gotten their asses handed to them by a Vette that it sends their engineers back to the drawing boards for more power. Now it's the Ford GT and Z06 (especially) handing the exotics their asses for less than half the cost. GM muscle has always been pushed harder by the competition with Ford and Ford's only true performance car until 2005 was the Mustang.

I think given the above reasons the '93 Cobra will be one of the most valuable Mustangs. Up there with the Bosses, Machs, and Shelbys of old. Not because it's the fastest or greatest Mustang ever, but for what it represents. The epitome of the bodystyle of Mustang that will go down as the '57 Chevy of our time. EVERYONE knows what a 5.0 is. The words 'five-point-oh' will go down in history as one of the monikers of the 90s. A way to identify with the time period.

The chassis wasn't all that great. You have to upgrade the hell out of it to get it to really perform well but that's the whole point. That's why the car is so endearing to us gearheads. During the late 80s and early 90s a bolt-on 5.0 would hand a Camaro it's ass nearly every time. It was the king of the streets.

I think these Cobras will be worth a mint in the decades to come. Mark my words...

scootro

Established Member
93 347 Cobra said:
The words 'five-point-oh' will go down in history as one of the monikers of the 90s. A way to identify with the time period. ...
Nice!! I’ve enjoyed reading your stuff. Very coherent and knowledgeable. :beer:

John and Renae

Established Member
Although I don't own a Cobra, I would have to agree that the 2001-3000 range is likely correct. There is a possibility it is higher if there are a lot of cars that were just stored away, but I somehow doubt that. Given what I have seen in the salvage yards over the past 10 years or so I think it is safe to say that @ half or slightly over are still around.

I think 93347cobra hit the nail on the head. If ever I am allowed to expand my collection (meaning purchase a 3rd mustang) I would certainly like to get my hands on one...

jspalmer01

Established Member
John and Renae said:
Although I don't own a Cobra, I would have to agree that the 2001-3000 range is likely correct. There is a possibility it is higher if there are a lot of cars that were just stored away, but I somehow doubt that. Given what I have seen in the salvage yards over the past 10 years or so I think it is safe to say that @ half or slightly over are still around.

I think 93347cobra hit the nail on the head. If ever I am allowed to expand my collection (meaning purchase a 3rd mustang) I would certainly like to get my hands on one...

And I would be glad to help you Mr. B.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
kcp203 said:
I really think that at least half have either been totalled or beat on so badly and have high miles that their main value will be for obsolete Cobra parts.

So since my car has high miles its only good for a parts car. :bash: Appreciate it.

I agree my car will never be worth what a 20k-50k mile car is worth but I believe it will be surprising what a high mileage cobra (150k+) in good shape will bring in the future to come.

I have enjoyed driving and tinkering with my 'parts car' waaaay more then it could be valued at if it had no mileage on it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread