How Loud are Super Chargers

'93blownCOBRA

Established Member
I don't like it either. I'm not exactly going to the drag strip every weekend any more. Just some late night weekend romping once in a while. Each to their own really.

johnh

Established Member
Simplest way to make big power, hands down

I would disagree. An 8 turbo kit can be had for less then $3K. An 8 second blower starts at $3k and spirals quickly with exhaust, braces, two keyed balancers etc. Plus your using power just to spin it, I had to justify an extra 100 hp of fuel when I ran my YSI set up.

No thank you, I'll take free turbo power any day.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
I would disagree. An 8 turbo kit can be had for less then $3K. An 8 second blower starts at $3k and spirals quickly with exhaust, braces, two keyed balancers etc. Plus your using power just to spin it, I had to justify an extra 100 hp of fuel when I ran my YSI set up.

No thank you, I'll take free turbo power any day.

LMAO.. WHAT are you smoking?

I would LOVE to see your $3000 8 second turbo setup.. C'mon man, don't hold out on us :rollseyes

A blower is easiest to install, easiest to tune, and far more common than bolting on a turbo.. I would have preferred my car to be turbo when I bought it, but it had a Vortech, and I love how simple it is.. I can have the blower off in 10 minutes... Easy to tune.. Quiet.. No under hood heat issues.. and still makes alot of power...

Especially on 5.0's, you can bolt any blower on you want and make enough power to split the stock block.. Why spend thousands more and have an underhood jungle just to be limited at the same power level..

Sure, if you want 1000rwhp +, there is no other way than to go turbo..

But you aren't getting there with a $3,000 KIT.. :idea:

johnh

Established Member
So the only experience you have is with a supercharger on a car that you bought?

You must have stayed at a Holiday Inn last night then.

Do your research.

World's Fastest True Stick Shift Mustang; 8.58@165, 93 88mm Turbo Synchronized T56 Coupe Record Pass - YouTube

LMAO.. WHAT are you smoking?

I would LOVE to see your $3000 8 second turbo setup.. C'mon man, don't hold out on us :rollseyes

A blower is easiest to install, easiest to tune, and far more common than bolting on a turbo.. I would have preferred my car to be turbo when I bought it, but it had a Vortech, and I love how simple it is.. I can have the blower off in 10 minutes... Easy to tune.. Quiet.. No under hood heat issues.. and still makes alot of power...

Especially on 5.0's, you can bolt any blower on you want and make enough power to split the stock block.. Why spend thousands more and have an underhood jungle just to be limited at the same power level..

Sure, if you want 1000rwhp +, there is no other way than to go turbo..

But you aren't getting there with a $3,000 KIT.. :idea:

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
So the only experience you have is with a supercharger on a car that you bought?

You must have stayed at a Holiday Inn last night then.

Do your research.

World's Fastest True Stick Shift Mustang; 8.58@165, 93 88mm Turbo Synchronized T56 Coupe Record Pass - YouTube

You come into a thread titled.. "How loud are superchargers" and you're like. "Hiiiiiiiiii. My name is John.. And I have a turbooooooo

:thumbsup:

First of all, no one was talking about turbos in the first place..

Second.. Congrats on posting a world record vid of a fox with a turbo. That has zero relevance to this thread or my post that you quoted me in.

A blower IS and ALWAYS will be the SIMPLEST way to make power, especially on a 5.0. There is a reason you easily see 10:1 Vortech to turbo 5.0's. Really, what's the point of going thru all hassle of a turbo kit on a stock block? You can easily split a factory roller with an S trim, for alot cheaper, and with less problems.

Does that mean World Records are going to be broken with them?? Um No.
That's why I said if you want to make 4 digit power, turbo is the only way to go, but, that's going to be a very small crowd.

And that's a purrrty hot side you posted.. I'm sure it, the coldside, and intercooler cost close to $3k, let alone a GOOD turbo.. You're looking at 2k just for a nice headunit alone that can get you into the 8's. On top of a tubular K, and all of the other bullshit involved.

johnh

Established Member
The content of your post shows your lack of experience, the length of the post shows you think you know it all.

Hi my name is John, I have a YSI and it's loud as f@ck so I prefer a turbo.

I post in the Fox body forums because I have one. I also have less than $2500 in my eight turbo set up but I'm sure you already knew that.

You come into a thread titled.. "How loud are superchargers" and you're like. "Hiiiiiiiiii. My name is John.. And I have a turbooooooo

:thumbsup:

First of all, no one was talking about turbos in the first place..

Second.. Congrats on posting a world record vid of a fox with a turbo. That has zero relevance to this thread or my post that you quoted me in.

A blower IS and ALWAYS will be the SIMPLEST way to make power, especially on a 5.0. There is a reason you easily see 10:1 Vortech to turbo 5.0's. Really, what's the point of going thru all hassle of a turbo kit on a stock block? You can easily split a factory roller with an S trim, for alot cheaper, and with less problems.

Does that mean World Records are going to be broken with them?? Um No.
That's why I said if you want to make 4 digit power, turbo is the only way to go, but, that's going to be a very small crowd.

And that's a purrrty hot side you posted.. I'm sure it, the coldside, and intercooler cost close to $3k, let alone a GOOD turbo.. You're looking at 2k just for a nice headunit alone that can get you into the 8's. On top of a tubular K, and all of the other bullshit involved.

Ithnu

Established Member
Wow this thread got derailed. I was just asking about a supercharger. I like the idea of a quiet one that literally just bolts on like the Vortech.

I don't want a thousand HP or an 8 second car. I'm think more of mid 300 HP and low 13s/high 12s. :)

Gravik

Established Member
If it isn't making any noise, then what is the fun in that? if you want a quiet car, get a Prius or a stock Civic.

Ithnu

Established Member
I also wanted to say thanks to all the folks who chimed in on this thread. Answered a lot of questions for me. When I have the $$ I am going to put a Vortech v3 on my car.

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
I'll have to agree. You only hear mine when the hammer is down...just like I like it.

Others may not, that's fine too.

Are you running any kind of external fluid cooler for the Paxton to keep oil temps in check? I've heard the old school ball drive (self-contained) units are pretty reliable as long as they are kept cool.

'93blownCOBRA

Established Member
Not at all. I use some Water Wetter and that's about it. Never had an issue. Even after many passes the temp only rises slightly and I live in a pretty hot climate.

I run a 160 degree thermostat and I ALWAYS keep my eye on things. I am not trotting up and down the 1/4 mile every weekend like I used to and my goal has always been to keep my car as stock looking as possible (it's what I like). The laws in my area and the nastier cops have changed things a bit since the early 90's when I bought the car (new) and it's also a good drive to get to a nice 1/4 strip to run legally. Most of the guys that do run there now a days have bad assed high dollar race cars, not causal late night street machines like mine. Beside, most of my ole running buddies are now married with kids. A lot of that crowd drives SUV's and their street cars are long gone.

It's nice to know it's there when I DO need it and it has been there for me an awful long time trouble free so I'm good with that.

My Cobra has drug around many an old cigar shaped Camaro and 6 speed Trans Am like a boat anchor back in the day (sweet memories). An occasional Grand National here and there. But that was all local late night street racing out on the back roads. The way we used to do it. Having a quiet power adder back then was an advantage sometimes also, kinda like the NOS boyz had.

If I was building a high dollar gas gulping quarter mile terror like some folks have in here (more power to them) I would step up but the Paxton SN-92 fits my needs nicely for what I want and what I do with my VERY stock looking Cobra. It drives and sounds like stock too until I push it...that's always cool to me.

Last edited:

'93blownCOBRA

Established Member
Sounds about right.

I would say that there are a few categories that the '93 Cobra fan/owner (or any other car enthusiast I guess) can be spilt into. All of them are acceptable and cool.

1.) Bone stockers. Maybe a car show enthusiast or Ford pure bread. Loves to wax his/her car and shine up the tires. Hates to see even one stinking bug on his headlight or any doughnut drums on the driver's seat.

2.) The lightly modified crowd. Gears, pipes and mufflers. Maybe different wheels. A drop in ride height here and there. Usually the hot rod cruising crowd and red light racer. Likes their ride to be loud. Folks that don't want the same thing that everyone else has. Maybe runs a few local track races from time to time. Kinda the way it was for most of my hot rod crowd in the early 90's.

3.) The sneaky stock crowd. Stock appearing car that may have internal and drive train mods (that's me). Maybe some better rubber, shifter mod, electronic upgrade. Bigger injectors and throttle body too. K&N filter, fat pump and fuel regulator. Wants a step up or two from stock. Late night dragster or red light to red light hammer dropper. Wants to be seen as stock but also likes to HAUL ASS. A trip or two to the local 1320 now and again.

4.) The badass street racer. This would included hot engine setups. Heads, cams, stroker kits. Big power adders such as big blowers and turbos, NOS. Chassis mods such as stiffening kits. Bigger brakes and tires among other mods. This is when is starts getting a wee bit expensive.

5.) The all out drag strip terror or slalom driver. I don't have to identify these folks. Truly hard core and willing to spend the money to do what it takes. Money to them seems (to me) to be no object. They just want to win. Gotts friggin' love that! I think most of would like to have the purse and the courage to enter this category or at least give it a try just once. These folks become true hot rod experts. A lot of it learned from trial and error. :rockon:

I applaud all of these folks. Having an interest in hot rods is awesome and gives you something satisfying to do that gives you pride.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread