How Loud are Super Chargers

Ithnu

Established Member
Just wondering what a basic model, like the 5psi Vortech, makes for noise. Is the high pitch whine really noticeable?

Also, can that low boost model be just bolted onto a 1993 Cobra with no other changes? Wasn't sure about modding my Cobra but am thinking about it so I figured I weigh the pos/neg.

'93blownCOBRA

Established Member
My SN-92 Paxton only whistles at the top of each gear when the revs get over 2,500. One of the quietest on the market (along with the Powerdyne), that is why I chose it. You can only find them used now, the SN-92 is out of production.

wahoo's 03

Established Member
My coupe has a vortech V3 Kit on it and you would never know it unless you opened the hood. It's that quiet!

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
V1's are loud and can be heard at idle..
V2's are silent and cannot be heard at all.. You hear a slight woosh at full throttle if you are in front of the car, but otherwise, no one will know it's there

Ithnu

Established Member
That's good to hear. I've watched a few youtube videos with blow 93's and they whine like crazy. That obnoxious noise isn't worth the HP gain in my book.

Ithnu

Established Member
I've also been reading about the fuel/air system requirements. It seems like the GTs are border line for a 5 psi blower. But is the opened up engine (MAF, throttle body, CAM, etc) on the Cobra enough to handle the low psi blower as a bolt on?

I like the idea that the V3 is self cooled and doesn't need an oil line run from the engine. Seems like a true bolt on. And a bolt on super chargers seems bad ass.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
You can run 10 psi on your stock engine for years without issue.

I've ran mine at 10-12 psi for the last 9 years without a single part breaking on me..

Ithnu

Established Member
I guess each their own I freaking love the whine of a centri supercharger

Yeah definitely personal preference. I talked to a friend about it and they love the noise. I like the natural rumble of a v8.

You can run 10 psi on your stock engine for years without issue.

I've ran mine at 10-12 psi for the last 9 years without a single part breaking on me..

Good to know. That 5psi Vortech V3 has just made my wish list.

Last edited:

amgbobby

Established Member
V-2's are not that quiet i own one with a built motor cam etc at start up its loud and u can hear it clear as day at idle. blowers should be heard thats part of the fun id rather have a V-1 if u ask me. cheers

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
V-2's are not that quiet i own one with a built motor cam etc at start up its loud and u can hear it clear as day at idle. blowers should be heard thats part of the fun id rather have a V-1 if u ask me. cheers

My v2 is DEAD silent. Man I need to rebuild my V1

boost4me

Banned
I have a great condition Eaton with 43K from and 03/04 Cobra. It whines nicely, especially when you put a 2.76 pulley on it...

roots blowers are much more fun to drive on the street as they make more power down low, where as centrifies don't make power until you get up there in RPMs

Users who are viewing this thread