How hard is it to pass Smog? (AZ)

MFE

Established Member
Like I said, if it's an OBD-II car, they check for fault codes. No codes? On your way. If earlier than OBD-II, they strap the car down, put tubes with gas sniffers on the exhaust pipes, and run the car through a simulated drive cycle on a roller dyno. And they pressure-test the fuel system.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
1996 to 2000 you are allowed 2 monitors to be not ready, but no codes set or pending. 2001+ you can have 1 monitor not complete ready and no codes pending or set.

1996-current is literally an OBD 2 check. No visual.

67+ means it has to pass for the year emissions it has. I bvn had a 1970 big BLOCK chevelle when I lived in Tucson years ago. No cats, just Pcv. Did a cap check, check for PCV and ran on the rollers. Brought back a pass slip after a 15 min spin on the rollers.

ALSO there is NO EMISSIONS TESTING OUTSIDE OF PHOENIX AND TUCSON METRO AREAS. So Northern Az address? No emissions check. Central AZ between Phx and Tus? No check. Eastern and western AZ? No check.

Your welcome. :D

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Forgot to add, MY2000+ pickups or vehicles like an Excursion over 8,000lb gvwr over go on the rollers, all diesels get tested, but it's an exhaust opacity idle snap test. Basically, it's a test to make sure you arent on of those mouthbreathers rolling coal.

Again, Phoenix and Tucson Metro only.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Forgot to add, MY2000+ pickups or vehicles like an Excursion over 8,000lb gvwr over go on the rollers, all diesels get tested, but it's an exhaust opacity idle snap test. Basically, it's a test to make sure you arent on of those mouthbreathers rolling coal.

Again, Phoenix and Tucson Metro only.
Wait, thee are people living outside of the Phoenix and Tucson metro areas?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Wait, thee are people living outside of the Phoenix and Tucson metro areas?
Haha, yes. Mostly in Prescott and Flagstaff, but there are all plenty of people that love the rural seclusion of places like eastern AZ. Western AZ is great if you like river boating because of Lake Havasu and Laughlin, Nevada.

For the record, Northen Arizona is ****ing beautiful. Want to retire up there.

Jefe

Established Member
If its not your daily driver I can set you up with collector insurance which waives emissions. Doesn't need to be garaged and they offer monthly billing. Let me know!

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I have collector car insurance on my GT500 through Grundy. I'm limited to 3k a year and it can't be used as a daily driver. No emissions bullshit and I have the car valued at 60k and pay $700 a year. I'm happy.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I have collector car insurance on my GT500 through Grundy. I'm limited to 3k a year and it can't be used as a daily driver. No emissions bullshit and I have the car valued at 60k and pay $700 a year. I'm happy.
Honestly, I need to do this. With my daughter here now, there hasnt been much time for the Shelby. Hell, there hasnt been much time since my wife and I found out last year and I switched careers in January. I dont think Ive even put 500 miles on it since last year this time.

No emissions would really make it easy to own an mod this car...

@Jefe , you got a PM coming your way soon.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Honestly, I need to do this. With my daughter here now, there hasnt been much time for the Shelby. Hell, there hasnt been much time since my wife and I found out last year and I switched careers in January. I dont think Ive even put 500 miles on it since last year this time.

No emissions would really make it easy to own an mod this car...

@Jefe , you got a PM coming your way soon.
It's worth it man, I drive mine maybe 1,500 miles a year and thats mostly because I run E85 lol.

Users who are viewing this thread