How hard is it to pass Smog? (AZ)

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Looks like AZ is testing everything from +1967. So how hard is it to pass?

Is a carb swapped 383 '92 OBS Chevy guaranteed to fail?

How about a KB powered 600HP Terminator?

snakedoctor

Established Member
I have been in Arizona 2 years and haven’t been able to get my terminator To pass yet. They keep telling me to drive it more. Keeps getting an error of “not ready”.im starting to think I need a new tune. We didn’t have emissions testing in Arkansas and I think my tuner did something because of that

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I have been in Arizona 2 years and haven’t been able to get my terminator To pass yet. They keep telling me to drive it more. Keeps getting an error of “not ready”.im starting to think I need a new tune. We didn’t have emissions testing in Arkansas and I think my tuner did something because of that

that’s definitely your tune...tuner probably turned off the rear 02s.. if it’s just a bolt on, pullied car and you still have cats...then I’d reload the stock tune, naturally stay out of boost and have it retested after 50-100 miles on stock tune.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Wow, 1967 +? if that is true then it is stricter rules then Cali! CA requires smog check for 1975 +. Is it for all of AZ? or just Phoenix area?
https://www.emissions.org/loc/arizona-emissions-testing/

Screenshot_20200709-092433__01.jpeg
Screenshot_20200709-092438__01.jpeg

MFE

Established Member
Depends on the county, but Maricopa County (Phoenix area) if your car is OBD-II, all they do is check readiness and codes. If it's ready and no emissions-related codes, you're good to go. If it's not OBD-II, it's given an exhaust sniffer and run on a drive-simulating dyno roller, and they also test the fuel tank/system for pressure integrity. I put little Magnaflow spun metallic cats on my E-303/GT40Y combo and it passes with flying colors as long as the cats are healthy. Your 393 should have no problem IF you have cats on it. The Cobra should be fine if it's "ready" and code free. The ready thing is, you can't just clear codes and then go get tested, the OBD-II will rat you out and declare "not ready" until enough drive cycle has taken place.

Last edited:

nxhappy

Established Member
arizona is like a god compared to kali. No CEL and monitors "ready" you can pass. You can have twin turbos, a blower, cams, long tubes, no cats, basically whatever you want. Just no CEL.

Blown 89

Established Member
Go see Rob Wetzle at forced induction tuning. [email protected]. You can thank me later

LightningLou

Established Member
arizona is like a god compared to kali. No CEL and monitors "ready" you can pass. You can have twin turbos, a blower, cams, long tubes, no cats, basically whatever you want. Just no CEL.

This! ^^

My Lightning and S4 both needed emissions after I moved to AZ, both have no cats, and are both fully built... Literally was in and out of the emissions station in 5 mins with a nice big PASS on the paper both times. The key is just a proper tune with no CEL of any kind and monitors ready for OBD2 in you’ll be fine. It’s not nearly as strict as CA emissions.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
How many monitors have to be ready? In my county in NC if the car is 2000 and newer you can only have one monitor not set. If it’s 1996-2000 you can have two not ready and still pass.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Might want to look into getting collector plates. Here in Ohio you can get collector plates if your qualifies and don't have to worry about emissions.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

LightningLou

Established Member
How many monitors have to be ready? In my county in NC if the car is 2000 and newer you can only have one monitor not set. If it’s 1996-2000 you can have two not ready and still pass.

I believe it’s two as well well, since I do have two soft codes in my PCM for my evap canister being removed on my Lightning. I could never figure out how to get those codes out of there even after turning it off in the tune, but still passed no issues.

MFE

Established Member
Might want to look into getting collector plates. Here in Ohio you can get collector plates if your qualifies and don't have to worry about emissions.

Once you register a car as Collector in AZ, you're agreeing to severely restrict its usage, and you can never go back to regular plates on that vehicle.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Once you register a car as Collector in AZ, you're agreeing to severely restrict its usage, and you can never go back to regular plates on that vehicle.
People still daily these cars?

Anyway collector plates are an option for people that can't reasonable return the car to stock. Better than not having it registered at all and / or having to sell the car. Only problem is most states you have to pass first then you can get the collector plates. You would need to get a second car as a daily as well.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Why would a 67 need smog tests? Noone DD anything older than 90s car right now and the smog on a 60s car you should be able to pass easy bc I imagine they allow for very high emissions numbers.

nxhappy

Established Member
monitors wont be an issue because the tuner can turn off the 02s etc

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
monitors wont be an issue because the tuner can turn off the 02s etc

If it is turned off, you will not pass ODB2 check bc all that does it check that all emissions systems are "ready" You can pass these with aftermarket tunes as long as emission systems are turned on.

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
How exactly are they testing smog?

Here in Sweden they check CO2 on older cars.
I recently had my last ever tech inspection on my '63 Austin A40 and the CO2 was off the scale. No matter how much I leaned the carb out I couldn't get it right.
So I had to do the old style, ethanol. Ran like crab but almost zero on the CO2 scale.
My '71 Ranchero was great on CO2 on the first try.

For example on my Viper they check CO2 at idle & 2500rpm, lambda and NOx.

Users who are viewing this thread