How hard is it to install a clutch quadrant?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I did it in my driveway lol.. It's a bit of a pain but you're probably not as big as me.. I debated taking my seat out to help with the extra room but I made do with out doing that.

BigTang

Breakin' Stuff
Established Member
here's a quick how to:
1. remove all loose items from your pockets
2. scoot seat all the way back
3. put feet on headrest and head on pedals
4. remove quadrant and replace w/ aftermarket one.

I did the steeda kit w/ the adj. cable and fire wall adjuster w/ the dual pick up quadrant so had to jack the car up and release the cable at the trans, a pry bar helps here to move the clutch fork. remove the PITA to get to screw by the oil filter(take the filter off it makes it easier) and the rest is cake. you need a 4 or 5mm socket for the stock cable at the firewall but other than that everything is pretty common.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
here's a quick how to:
1. remove all loose items from your pockets
2. scoot seat all the way back
3. put feet on headrest and head on pedals
4. remove quadrant and replace w/ aftermarket one.

I did the steeda kit w/ the adj. cable and fire wall adjuster w/ the dual pick up quadrant so had to jack the car up and release the cable at the trans, a pry bar helps here to move the clutch fork. remove the PITA to get to screw by the oil filter(take the filter off it makes it easier) and the rest is cake. you need a 4 or 5mm socket for the stock cable at the firewall but other than that everything is pretty common.

That's actually a good recommendation. Of course, the smaller you are/thinner you are the easier it is to maneuver in that small space. Anyone with a big frame is going to be cursing quite a bit doing the install. That said, it is not a difficult mod installation.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
What about the firewall adjuster? My car came with it but I got got my dad a quadrant and adjuster for his Cobra and I'll be the one installing everything.

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
In hindsight, taking out the seat would've likely made it easier and far less painful to install everything. Seat-in, you'll be performing all sorts of seemingly unnatural contortions to get under the dash.

I'd suggest grabbing one of these, too: Petzl Tikka2 LED Headlamp

The firewall adjuster's pretty easy to install. Depending on which one you get (I got the UPR Extreme adjuster) you may have to drill a hole for a second screw used to secure the adjuster base to the firewall. If I remember right, I had to *slightly* grind the hole in the firewall for the adjuster to fit through. Other than that, you'll just have to trim the plastic sheath on the clutch cable to fit in the adjuster...pretty simple, really.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread