How hard is it to get used to 4.10 gear?

hades_1

Established Member
I am quite set on getting 4.10 gear (found a local shop charging $250 for labor) but I was wondering how easy it is to get used to the 4.10?
Is it annoying to drive in the city or in heavy traffic (more so than stock gear)?
Did that change your ability to do hill starts (I live next to San Francisco :) )?

This is my DD and my car will probably never see a race track.

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
No problems driving it in L.A. traffic whatsoever. First gear isn't obnoxiously short and still very usable.

cobra_80

MOTORBOATER
Established Member
I have them in my 03 and gas milage stinks. You also will lose top end and go through the gears much quicker. I had 3.73 in my 97 Gt and those felt good.

hades_1

Established Member
I have them in my 03 and gas milage stinks. You also will lose top end and go through the gears much quicker. I had 3.73 in my 97 Gt and those felt good.

How much of a mpg difference before/ after 4.10?
Gas mileage is not a huge concern as long as I don't need to visit the pump every other day.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
the general consensus is that you _MIGHT_ lose around 1-2 mpg at highways speeds, above 70mph. in city you most likely will not see any loss at all. most people report a slight gain in mpg because you get in 5th gear a little faster and you get a little better pull vs. lugging 5th gear at 35mph with 3.27s.

i would expect you to have bad mpg for about a month or 2 until you get used to the gears. theyll be a lot of fun, makes the car feel so much better.

Kiohtee

Established Member
I have 4.10s with an O/R H, Flowmaster dumps and custom cams; I don't see what the big deal is lol.

4valved

Banned
If your running tail pipes and everything on your car is smooth as butter you'll hardly notice at freeway speeds

hades_1

Established Member
Thx for the replies :)
One more question though, how hard is it to do 'precision' maneuvers like parallel parking; 3 points turn, etc...? Is it somewhat harder since the car revs faster than with stock gear?

tt54l32v

Established Member
OMG, this section sure has changed. Dont even waste time with 4.10s and get some 4.30s. Do not fear the gear. I wish I had 4.56s

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Doing parallel parking, city driving, traffic, reversing, doing wheelies, or saving the world will all be either the same or easier with 4.10s. I have no complaints with mine except that I probably should just done 4.30s.

NVRL8TE

Death or Glory
Established Member
For a 5 speed car, AT LEAST 4.30's. Trust me. I run 4.56's, no problem for anything. It is NOT too much gear, unless you have a high HP power adder car.

Users who are viewing this thread