How good is a Mustang as a family car?

by9468840

Established Member
current family vehicles are a 11 GT with Roush TVS and a small Ford Fiesta. My wife used to own a 11 V6 Mustang which we had to sell and now she is craving for a 13 candy red GT automatic.

we recently got married and ofcourse we are planning to enlarge our family soon. I am just curious how would it be to have two pony cars as family vehicles? anyone with real world experience? I know it all depends on the lifestyle and stuff but i have a feeling it should be managable.. ?

kk_kalina

Established Member
if u have no kids and u plan on it there is no way a rear facing car seat will fit trust me I had an 08 (in 08) and had to get rid of it and traded it in on an 03 evo now that since my oldest is in a booster seat and youngest in a front facing seat my mustang seems just fine we have a 2013 fusion and my 14 gt and my kids would WAY much rather ride in my car over hers haha they used to even cry when we wouldn't take mine lol but yah if u have or plan on having kids a rear facing car seat WILL NOT fit

ghostrider7953

Established Member
71' Mach 1 was great for wife and 2 baby seats. If you're stopping at 2 then you're good; more than 2 you have a problem.

Monster Mach

Established Member
My 04 fits 2 rear seats perfect. It's all about buying the right seat (I don't have kids but have karted around a few). 2 mustangs? Ehh prob best to buy a cheap SUV later on

kk_kalina

Established Member
well hell idk what kinda "special" rear facing car seats yall are using but im a little ass guy (5'6 and 115lbs) and there was no way a rear facing car seat was fitting behind me I tried and tried, it wasn't happening lol

Monster Mach

Established Member
well hell idk what kinda "special" rear facing car seats yall are using but im a little ass guy (5'6 and 115lbs) and there was no way a rear facing car seat was fitting behind me I tried and tried, it wasn't happening lol

I'm 6'3 and got my exs child behind me perfectly lol the seat was more straight up and inserted by a local police department (I went to a baby seat class lol)

TRDon

Established Member
I have a 13 boss. I bought it as a family fun car. I have a 3 yo and a 11mo. One is in a rear facing (generic grayco) seatbelt strapped with no base behind the passenger seat(wife is 5'2") and my oldest is a full forward facing behind me driving(im 6'0"). Not a problem. Obviously people who say it cant be done in the 05+ cars never tried. It didnt work in my 95 but the 13 has a lot of room. As a daily with kids, i think you would need to have your head examined. Its no big deal for a weekend drive, but i cant imagine that hassle 2 times a day.

N20D5OH

Established Member
There is no way a rear facing infant seat will fit. I had one in my '03 Mach 1 and it fit but my ex wife had to sit with her face in the windshield. Once we had our second I unloaded the Mach and got an SUV. Now that I have my kids and no wife, I'm back to a Mustang. :-D

Zemedici

Established Member
Great family car for me!

Of course I dont have any kids....or a wife......

Whole family fits in the car easy! Hell, one seat even!

:(

:D

Too40gawlf

Banned
There is no way a rear facing infant seat will fit. I had one in my '03 Mach 1 and it fit but my ex wife had to sit with her face in the windshield. Once we had our second I unloaded the Mach and got an SUV. Now that I have my kids and no wife, I'm back to a Mustang. :-D

Damn,

I dont know what you did with your 'mods' dude, but 21.73? What did you do, snap the harness to 4 of the coil packs? :-D:p:-D

125oh

Established Member
My car is our third car . But my daughter loves riding in it .no way that car seat will fit rear facing , and we shopped around for a smaller one . .

natedog_1959

Established Member
I have my daughter's forward facing child seat behind the passenger seat and my wife can ride like that on long road trips. We are trying for #2 so by the time #2 gets here, my daughter will be in a booster seat (much more room than a forward facing car seat) and the rearward facing seat will go behind the passenger seat.

I guess the moral of the story is that I'm not getting rid of my 6 month old Mustang just because we have another child (knocks on wood).

Nate

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Just strap your kid in the back and wrap him or her with bubble wrap.

I'm sure the kid will be fine

juniormedic

Established Member
:lol:
I have a 2012 GT and 2 kids that are both in forward-facing seats as well and it works great and they LOVE it. But my youngest was still in a rear-facing carrier when I bought the car and when installed properly you could not put anyone in the passenger seat. I say talk her into an EcoBoost Flex until they get a little bigger!

nonliberal

Established Member
It would be a huge PITA to try and make the Mustang a family car. Your better to get a 4 door for the family car and a Mustang for a play car.

Not to say it can't be done, but it's way more hassle than I would want with a baby.

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
no kids but my gf and I where watching our friends 4 year old daughter and took the mustang around cause she loves it. Unfortunately with a booster seat her feet kept hitting my gf's seat. Not as in kicking, as in she was squished. My gf is 5'0 so the seat was fairly close up. Not practicle, but if it were my kid....my girl and the kid would have to live with it :D haha. I was perfectly fine and comfy :D

Chaney5.0

If you buy the correct seats you can fit them back there easy... If you aren't an idiot...

A car is a car, to me there is no such thing as an "un family" friendly vehicle. Maybe a single cab truck, but that is about it.

That's why I garage the trailer queen and DD the QC dodge around (; Plenty of car seats can fit in there. So the one with tits can shut her mouth.

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
no kids but my gf and I where watching our friends 4 year old daughter and took the mustang around cause she loves it. Unfortunately with a booster seat her feet kept hitting my gf's seat. Not as in kicking, as in she was squished. My gf is 5'0 so the seat was fairly close up. Not practicle, but if it were my kid....my girl and the kid would have to live with it :D haha. I was perfectly fine and comfy :D

This says to me the kid shouldn't have been in a booster seat, or it was too big for her pushing her legs out. My almost 4 year old son just started riding in a booster behind me with his legs crossed with no problem. If his legs were straight out then yes, the front seat would need to be pretty far forward.

My daughter is still in a rear facing car seat, and the goes on the passenger side with my 5'7 wife up front. It's a little tight for her because the rear facing seats take up a ton of room, but my son has been sitting behind her with no issues for the last three years.

The Graco Nautilus is a great seat for the mustang. It looks pretty good, is not super wide, and has the right adjustments to work nicely.

Booster (converted nautilus) behind drivers seat. I'm 5'11-6'. Plenty of room.
a4u2e7a9.jpg

Last edited:

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
rear facing car seat WILL NOT fit

This is not even remotely true.

My sons Eddie Bauer rear facing seat fit fine, as does my daughters Chico fits even better. Graco and no name brands a MUCH larger than the more premium brands. Chico is an Italian brand and safer to boot due to the stricter eu car seat regs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread