How good are the stock clutchs?

0103SVT

Established Member
I just bought an 03 Cobra vert and want to do CAI, pulley, chip, and exhaust but I'm wondering how long the clutch will last. It will go to the track maybe once a month and driven 5 out of 7 days a week.

etfhb

Established Member
ford put a decent clutch in these cars, do a search, opinions will vary

KENZILLA

Well ya, Its fast!
Established Member
mine went 12500 total mile. 10500 of those miles have had the kenny bell on it which pushes over 550 hp to the rear. So there not to bad. I am actually putting in the new clutch next weekend. Its a spec stage 3f and also going to a 26 spline liberty input shaft. :banana:

MTI LS1

The stock clutch is strong, but really heavy. Put an aftermarket one in, it makes a world of difference and the pedal is much much lighter.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
It seems that sticky tires (ET Streets or better) tend to kill the clutch. It can handle a nice amount of power when running Nittos.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
mine is at 18k and seems ok. right around 15k i started racing a lot with slicks. pulled 1.6 60' on it...seems fine for a stock clutch

Big_Torch

Banned
unit213 said:
I'm well over that and have had no clutch issues. <knocks on wood>

not talking from experience, but other threads have mentioned the 450~ mark for a safe average. Then again every car is different, you could blow it out when your completly stock and you could make 500+ and have it last for years.

HawkMech

Wildhorses Rule!!!
Established Member
I've got over 21,000 miles on my car so far, and not one problem with the clutch. Nevertheless, I am still looking into a replacement, just in case.

Z O SICK

Established Member
I have almost 20K on mine with no problems. Been down the strip 9 times. Not a lot of abuse at the track but i beat the hell out of it on the street.

StngStr

Mustang-less
Established Member
I've made 95 passes in my car since I bought it in September 2004. 9 of those passes have been on 16 in ET Streets with best 60 ft of 1.80. Street tire 60 fts are generally 1.9-2.1. I only smelled my stock clutch one day when I was running ET streets. I tried a 2nd gear burnout without getting enough water on them and smoked the clutch pretty bad. But, I let it cool down for about 2 hrs and it was good as new after that.

Stock clutch = pretty dang tough

If I had to guess, I'm probably not making more than 400 rwhp (3700 lbs, 115 trap speeds).

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Mine was still going strong after 9K miles. The new owner has not yet replaced it. So I would say it is definitely a decent clutch. Of course the more time you spend on the track the quicker it's going to need to be replaced with something a bit more heavy duty.

Users who are viewing this thread