How fast is a 1200 Bandit

orange2004cobra

Established Member
My old 02 bandit 1200 went 11.4xxx at around 118 or so, with me weighing in @ 242..
I couldnt launch that bike worth a $hit..

Yorad

Terminator Shopping
Established Member
Exactly... Those bikes are good all around street bikes with decent torque from 3-7K rpm making them easy to launch, but top end is weak. That 10.98 posted at 121.9 is truly amazing for this bike and sounds like a pro rider that achieved a stellar 60' time. Average riders won't come close.

I'd guess a 45-50mph roll in 2nd and you got him.

You are correct! That was quoted directly from a motorcycle magazine. I think it was motorcycleonline.com or something like that (I can't remember and I don't care enough to go back and look), so yes it was definitely a pro rider. Also to whoever said the average rider is typically not very good... I couldn't agree more!

97 slowbra

Banned
Bandit is 1200cc's.. is a V Twin...should be a good race from a highway roll...i think u will pull him up top

P.S- SV 1000 is faster than socom688 :) haha

Last edited by a moderator:

Yorad

Terminator Shopping
Established Member
you are right not a v twin..thought they were:shrug:

anyways its actually a inline six...
http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/suzuki_bandit_1200_n_2004.php

Ok lets stop the madness!!!! It's an air/oil cooled INLINE 4 based on the old GSX-R 1100 motor!!! All the misinformation is getting crazy.

To the poster quoted above, I see how you made the mistake because that link does say inline six, but www.bikez.com are bunch of idiots. If you don't believe me? Count the number of exhaust headers on the front of the engine in the picture on that link. 1-2-3-4! Not 6 or 2. You'll also notice they mis-spelled "carburetor".

Here, I'll just post the picture from THEIR site so you can count it and ALSO see the oil cooler mounted just above the 4 headers.

Bandit1200-2004.gif

I hope that clears all this up! :-D

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Established Member
the bandit is an air/oil cooled inline 4 cylinder engine. it does not have alot of power; but if you port the head, put in high compression pistons with bigger cams; that bike will run low 10's with a header/pipe and bigger carbs. hook up a 50 shot of nitrous, lower the bike and put an extended swing arm out back with a widened rear wheel and sticky tire and you are in the 9's. all of these mods + a used bike can be had for 10K if you play your cards right. its the ultimate poor mans sleeper bike. since it was castrated by the factory a few steroid like changes and this bike will come alive.

Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Established Member
I think you can take him. They are old tec. inline 4's and the new 600's will walk them.

this is true, but if his buddys bandit has modz he will loose. 1200 cc's have way more potential than 600 cc's. see my post above here ^ on how to walk the new 600's with an old tec 1200 cc bandit

JWC

Established Member
Totally agree Fast Freddy but his friends bike is bone stock and the guy weighs in @ 240 lbs. SVT to Darkside wrong again bud they are in line 4's as noted above.

Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Established Member
Totally agree Fast Freddy but his friends bike is bone stock and the guy weighs in @ 240 lbs. SVT to Darkside wrong anain bud they are in line 4's as noted above.

that dude is gonna get blown away :loser: its a damn shame too cuz if that was me; i would cut the weight, mod my bike and kick some ass......

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Man there's some guys that get worked up easy in here. I clearly stated his bike is stock, no tune up, he's 6'1" 200lbs(not 240) and I'll have a Whipple. So it seems by a few constructive posts that I will win. With the Whipple I should be able to at least rip-off 11.50 and him on his bike sounds like high 11's or low 12's.

thanks,
Brian

sled

Established Member
Man there's some guys that get worked up easy in here. I clearly stated his bike is stock, no tune up, he's 6'1" 200lbs(not 240) and I'll have a Whipple. So it seems by a few constructive posts that I will win. With the Whipple I should be able to at least rip-off 11.50 and him on his bike sounds like high 11's or low 12's.

thanks,
Brian

I race bikes and cars and ill tell you right now your gonna beat pretty good if you can drive. bandits are high 11s/ low 12s depending on the rider. their way out dated, a new 600/750 would smoke it. My 07 GSXR 750 ran a 10.29 at 139 on a 1.7 60ft outta the crate. that just shows how out dated bandits are. i say talk some shit, race, and never let him leave it down!

Last edited:

Yorad

Terminator Shopping
Established Member
WERE...WERE....

the bandit is now water cooled.

That is correct.
They are also now 6 speed instead of 5, and are now 1255 CCs, but he's talking about a 2004 so it doesn't make much difference for his race.

Speaking of which... did this ever happen or was benchracing good enough?

Users who are viewing this thread