How fast is a 1200 Bandit

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
A guy here at my work has a 2003 Suzuki 1200 Bandit and says/thinks it's fast as shit! Right now my car has a ported blower and makes 496/555 and he says it still wouldn't even be a race. Now it's getting a Whipple and he still thinks it probably wouldn't be a race. I think with the Whipple I would walk him pretty bad but I'm not sure. I need some educated opinions on both combo's because I know nothing about bikes. I won't ever race him but I'm curious of what the outcome would be.(he works for me and my luck I would race him he would crash and die:lol:)

F8tlByte

colorchngnSVT
Established Member
If its a bike that 1200.... I think he would still take you. Your car will be badass with a Whipple, but not that bad.. ive heard of TT 800rwhp cars taking bikes like that from a roll. But I don no about a Whipple..... I don understand, Why does everyone on a bike want to race something that has over 3000lb weight disadvantage? but then have nothing to say when a REALLY badass car whoops them??

speedfreak440

Gear Jammer
Established Member
Race him from a roll & you will win, I don't even think it would be all that close from a 40ish roll. From a dig he will probably beat you unless you have good drag radials & can drive. Those bikes leave hard but play out pretty quick on the big end.

He's right though, Your car with the whipple upgrade would'nt even be a race:burnout:

BAFRAID

VERY AFRAID
Established Member
Bandits are pretty fast, but not that fast. I used to smoke the shit outta those things on my GSXR 750 with nothing but a K&N and a pipe. Bandits are set up a little more for cruising and not so much haulin the mail. If you had a Whipple making around 600/600, I bet you could take him. Might be close, but I bet you'd win. I have a KB making that power and I've WALKED 600s and 750s. I've even beat an R1, but I think it was because that guy didn't really know how to ride.... LOL!!! Good luck and let us know how it turns out!!!!

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Thanks guys I think the tables are turning and I am getting drag radials. I won't race him I'm just curious as to what should happen. The guy works for me and my luck(as stated inthe 1st post) we would race he would lose it and die. I would hate to leave him in the ditch to keep from getting caught.:lol: Then I would have to find another employee.:nonono:

Dusten

Established Member
bandits, depending on year are good for high 10's to low 11's. with a a bad rider, low 12's

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
What kind of an engine does the Bandit have? I know the Suzuki SV1000 has a V twin and it only runs the 1/4 in low 11's. If it is a V twin, it could be close, but if it has an R1 style motor you are screwed.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Established Member
A guy here at my work has a 2003 Suzuki 1200 Bandit and says/thinks it's fast as shit! Right now my car has a ported blower and makes 496/555 and he says it still wouldn't even be a race. Now it's getting a Whipple and he still thinks it probably wouldn't be a race. I think with the Whipple I would walk him pretty bad but I'm not sure. I need some educated opinions on both combo's because I know nothing about bikes. I won't ever race him but I'm curious of what the outcome would be.(he works for me and my luck I would race him he would crash and die:lol:)

a stock 1200 bandit can run low 11's in the 1/4 at sea level with a good lightweight rider.

with 496 rwhp in a dig race i think you will get beat but if you race him from a 50 roll to 150 mph i think you can hang with him though.

with the whipple and 600 rwhp you might be able to hang with him from a dig in a 1/4 race though. it all comes down to how much the rider weighs and how good he is at racing his bike......

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
He's about 6' and 200lbs. Plus the bike hasn't been tuned since it was new and it's all stock. I'm thinking espescially with the Whipple that he's going to lose and lose bad.

Biggieman

03-04 parts for sale
Established Member
What kind of an engine does the Bandit have? I know the Suzuki SV1000 has a V twin and it only runs the 1/4 in low 11's. If it is a V twin, it could be close, but if it has an R1 style motor you are screwed.

air/oil cooled inline 4

edit: see below :)

Last edited:

Tunnelvision

Established Member
The bandits are roughly 530 lbs with ~100 Crank HP. From a roll you'll need about ~475rwhp to pull him......and the Whipple will crush him. They top out under 150mph stock. It's no Busa.

Yorad

Terminator Shopping
Established Member
Bandit 1200 ('01)
HP: 101.8 @ 8500
TQ: 70.0 @ 4250
Quarter mile: 10.98 @ 121.9
Weight 530 lbs

The rider will make a huge difference. It's hard beat any decent bike off the line, but you can eventually make up ground from a roll even if he gets a jump. It's the old GSX-R engine in there reconfigured for torque/rideability. He's going to have to stay in the powerband. Hopefully he's one of those guys that thinks you actually need to use the clutch to upshift on a motorcycle:bash:. That would help you as well. If you see him clutching, don't bother to correct him until afterward.:-D Define bofore the race how fast you're going to run to. The higher the better for you!

It's going to be all about the race you pick, assuming equal driving skills. If you start it and keep it at lower speeds you'll lose to a good rider. Starting at a higher speed and holding onto it longer gives you the edge. Just hope he doesn't know that! Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Yorad

Terminator Shopping
Established Member
I think you can take him. They are old tec. inline 4's and the new 600's will walk them.

Most all of the modern sportbikes are inline 4s, including the new ones. Triumph has a triple, some sportbikes are twins like the TL1000, RC51, and some Italian bikes. There were some old sporbikes in the 80s that ran V-4s, at least I know Honda did because I rode one. Point is, while it's BASED on an older engine design, that's a lot of torque and decent horsepower that add up to a 10 second bike so it should be taken seriously!

Newer 600s, including mine are not THAT much faster.

JWC

Established Member
I have seen a few Bandits run at the track and they run high 11's with average riders. The time you posted IMO is not realistic for this bike. A friend had one for a while and I raced him a few time on my sons old ZX6 and wipped him every time. They just don't wind up very quick. I ride a Aprillia RSV Factory 1000 cc V twin and it will take out the Bandit with ease. Also I think you will find "most" guy's that ride bikes really shouldn't race them. I put away quite a few bikes in my 03 KB Cobra that if they could ride I shouldn't have.

Tunnelvision

Established Member
I have seen a few Bandits run at the track and they run high 11's with average riders. The time you posted IMO is not realistic for this bike. A friend had one for a while and I raced him a few time on my sons old ZX6 and wipped him every time. They just don't wind up very quick. I ride a Aprillia RSV Factory 1000 cc V twin and it will take out the Bandit with ease. Also I think you will find "most" guy's that ride bikes really shouldn't race them. I put away quite a few bikes in my 03 KB Cobra that if they could ride I shouldn't have.

Exactly... Those bikes are good all around street bikes with decent torque from 3-7K rpm making them easy to launch, but top end is weak. That 10.98 posted at 121.9 is truly amazing for this bike and sounds like a pro rider that achieved a stellar 60' time. Average riders won't come close.

I'd guess a 45-50mph roll in 2nd and you got him.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Thanks guys I think the tide has just turned! I'll probably show him this Monday.:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread