How far would you drive to save $$$$$?

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
I've bought all kinds of things - cars, car parts etc online and once i flew from Myrtle Beach to Houston to save about $3,500 on a new car.

How far would you drive to save money and for how much?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Flew from Los Angeles to Seattle with my dad to save about 4k on a truck. So 4k minus two one way plane tickets and gas to get home. We didn't stop to stay in a hotel.

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
Never had to do it but I probably would. As long as I came out on top

Famine

Established Member
Mine weren't to save money, but rather to find something niche. I wanted a 2007 white s2000 with black/red interior, with all the goodies and flew from south Dakota to buffalo ny for it. Did the same thing when I wanted an immaculate low mileage hardtop mr2spyder manual in silver; went to Detroit for that one. There are many others, but those are the longest trips for a car.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Mine weren't to save money, but rather to find something niche. I wanted a 2007 white s2000 with black/red interior, with all the goodies and flew from south Dakota to buffalo ny for it. Did the same thing when I wanted an immaculate low mileage hardtop mr2spyder manual in silver; went to Detroit for that one. There are many others, but those are the longest trips for a car.
Same here, I have traveled for specific cars, but that's about it.

Did go with a buddy who saved almost $10k buying his new Super Duty out of state few years back.

04MysticCobra

Established Member
Longest I have ever driven for a deal on a car or truck was 4 hours to save $3000. It was well worth it.

nxhappy

Established Member
my record was just recently to get this damn Cobra. 1300 miles total driving LOL...although it was fun and I'd do it again in a heart beat!

Sn95Snake

Established Member
Fortunately I have never had to travel over 100 miles to get a vehicle, but if it would save me a couple thousand I would do it in a heartbeat!

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Depends on if the time is worth it. Too many people will waste massive amounts of time to save meaningless amounts of money. Makes no sense to me - you can always make more money, but your time is all you have.

blubyu87gt

Established Member
I popped the motor in an old Fox while the T45 in my Cobra was going out. Rather then spending a bunch of money and time rebuilding a buddy and I drove from SLC Utah to Columbia SC for another Fox I had. Put it on a dolly and drove back. It had a fresh 306 and TKO in it. Cannibalized it to save the other two. Was like 650 for fuel, food, and the dolly.

We managed to get the trip done in 4.5 days. The friend just bought a brand new 1500 and had never been on a road trip. So was a pretty good time.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Depends on if the time is worth it. Too many people will waste massive amounts of time to save meaningless amounts of money. Makes no sense to me - you can always make more money, but your time is all you have.

Econ 101 - opportunity cost

All about weighing the time it would take you to work for that extra money that you would save. That's how I would define "worth it." Then again some would see it as an opportunity to take a fun trip, maybe even use some of the PTO from work so that has to be accounted for too.

How do you guys go about buying cars that are X miles away? I'm assuming you've done as much research on the item you're purchasing from afar, but that's not "kicking the tires." Do you guys have a third party look over the vehicle in its location before going? There's obviously a level of certainty that you would have to reach before pulling the trigger on the trip; so I'm wondering, how does one get to that point?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Econ 101 - opportunity cost

All about weighing the time it would take you to work for that extra money that you would save. That's how I would define "worth it." Then again some would see it as an opportunity to take a fun trip, maybe even use some of the PTO from work so that has to be accounted for too.

How do you guys go about buying cars that are X miles away? I'm assuming you've done as much research on the item you're purchasing from afar, but that's not "kicking the tires." Do you guys have a third party look over the vehicle in its location before going? There's obviously a level of certainty that you would have to reach before pulling the trigger on the trip; so I'm wondering, how does one get to that point?

For my dad, he was looking for a low mileage 1999 or newer f250/350 7.3 diesel, crew cab, long bed, 4x4 in good shape. XLT trim or higher. All the ones down here sold before he could even go look at them.

One day he found this truck on a dealership website in Washington. Lariat trim, mint condition interior. Paint looked great. He called and they said they had 3 people make appointments for the next day and they had just received the truck. Told us if we showed up first, we could have first dibs since no one else was showing up till later in the day.

He bought two one way tickets for the next morning and we got in a cab and told them to book it. Which doesn't happen near Seattle lol. bought the truck while it was on the rack getting ball joints replaced. Well under the condition that on a test drive nothing apparent was wrong with it.

The rest is history. They told us they didn't expect there to be so much demand for the truck, and if we didn't buy it they were upping the price a couple thousand. We told them they go for even more than that in la lol.

We could have found one closer, but my dad wanted stock, and immaculate. He didn't want to go cheap only to have to replace everything because no one took care of it. Waited a long time to find one he was able to get an offer in on that wasn't way overpriced.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Not vehicle related, but we have friends who will drive to multiple stores to save 10 cents on toilet paper, meat, etc. They spend more in gas than they save.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
I've driven 12+ hours to pick up my Mach back in the day. Actually did it twice. First one I went to look at it was a joke and guy had hid a bunch of damage in the pics so I neglected to buy it. 2nd trip a few weeks later worked out much much better though. Even the last few vehicles we've bought, I prefer to buy from bigger dealers where the discount is much higher. Granted they are only hour to an hour and half away it's worth more of drive in my opinion to save 3-4k....

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I'd go anywhere if it was the right deal. Shipping cars is always a good option. It's cheaper than people think. Paid $1500 to have my car shipped from cali to mass in an enclosed trailer. Would have payed close to that for a couple of plane tickets/hotel/food/ etc.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Flew to Virginia to buy a 11 shelby for 38,500 with 3k miles on it, back in 2014.

Comparables in S. Florida were in the mid to high 40's with that mileage.

Driving for me isn't an issue, I would go farther if the price/car was right

CV355

_
Established Member
I bribe people who can tow.

You'd be surprised how many miles you can get for a sausage biscuit.

hemdog

Established Member
Buying my Cobra. 1000 mile round trip. Saved $2000 by driving there and paying cash for the car.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Not vehicle related, but we have friends who will drive to multiple stores to save 10 cents on toilet paper, meat, etc. They spend more in gas than they save.

That's my inlaws. Drives me insane.

Zemedici

Established Member
Bought my cobra in Kentucky for 2-3k cheaper than it would have been in Atlanta. Bought my first cobra 250 miles away, in Alabama.

Users who are viewing this thread