how does the 2 step work

jugsreturn

Established Member
I found this on another forum (http://forum.mazda6tech.com/about84.html)...
You can spool a turbo a the line, but it's a little tougher with a manual transmission. Because turbos build boost largely dependant on load simply reving up at the line will produce little to no boost. A two-step rev limiter is sometimes used to help spool the turbo from a stop. Basically you activate a lower RPM limit that is acheived my cutting spark to alternating cylinders. This ends up blowing unburned fuel into the exhaust stream where it burns in the turbine. Obviously this release of energy spins up the turbo and has it ready for action come the green light. Cars with really big turbos can build a few psi of boost this way before leaving the line and this obviously help the 60 ft time (given traction). This same type of strategy is used in many turboed rally cars. In this case, fuel is actually injected into the turbine when the driver lifts off the gas. This keeps the turbo up to speed, so when the driver puts his foot back on the gas the progression of power is much more linear. While both methods work well, neither is suitable in a daily driven, catalyst equipped car. The incredible heat would toast the emissions parts in a hurry.

Back to drag racing for a second. Really the best option for turbo drag race cars is an automatic. You can load the motor and turbo against the torque convertor and leave the line at full boost. Also, all shifts are inherently made at WOT, so nothing is lost during shifts either. Of course you will lose a little more power to the tranny, but automatics are much more consistent.

This kinda helped me out cause I didn't know squat about it.

--
JugsReturn

TRBO VNM

SCT 2-step works the opposite than you want it to. it removes fuel instead of timing. you want timing removed so that there is more fuel in the system to ignite and it will spool the turbo. the only person I know of that builds good boost with the sct is Josh(smashedheadcat)

CHINI

Do Work
Established Member
God i am trying to get someone to hook mine up as we speak. Jason do you know if msd came out with plug n play kit yet?

TRBO VNM

my understanding is the plug/play kit is available. I need to call my contact about it and find out.

CHINI

Do Work
Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
my understanding is the plug/play kit is available. I need to call my contact about it and find out.
you should call your contact for me too. That would be nice of you :lol1:

lol If you get a deal on them, well then pm me and i will get one from you. Do you like cash???

TRBO VNM

C H I N I said:
you should call your contact for me too. That would be nice of you :lol1:

lol If you get a deal on them, well then pm me and i will get one from you. Do you like cash???

:lol: cash, credit, paypal it is all the same. :-D

TRBO VNM

C H I N I said:
i think you should write me back in my pm, so we can get the ball rolling. lol

yeah yeah, I did.

BTW, these harnesses probably won't be available for another few weeks. They are in production and MSD is filling dealer and customer backorders and should have that taken care of by next week and assembly is happening as well. I would hope within 3 weeks they will be shipping to dealers.

CHINI

Do Work
Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
yeah yeah, I did.

BTW, these harnesses probably won't be available for another few weeks. They are in production and MSD is filling dealer and customer backorders and should have that taken care of by next week and assembly is happening as well. I would hope within 3 weeks they will be shipping to dealers.
:bowdown:

TRBO VNM

jugsreturn said:
Hey guys, is this hard on the turbo? Would this be another advantage of having ball bearing turbos?

yes, it is harder on the turbo, but how often are you really doing it? at the track and when that pesky little import is revving at you...lol

I did that once to an eclipse..should have seen their jaws drop.

TRBO VNM

CobraStang161 said:
So TRBO VNM is this basically a DIY turbo install without having to pay thousands for a shop to tune it?

what do you mean? are you talking about the hellion kit install or MSD install? I assume hellion because you asked about turbo install, but the thread is about the MSD 2-step.

the hellion is a DIY install and I think all of them out there are. You can do the hellion install with typical hand tools, floor jack and jack stands. it isn't hard if done properly. Like everything, you need to follow the directions. If you don't, it will seem like a pain in the a$$.

I would never pay thousands for tuning and hope people aren't paying that. Jon Lund has tuned quite a few of these hellion cars and other turbo cars has one himself. he could probably get pretty close on a mail order, but you would need to get some datalogs back to him for tweaks if needed.

$399 for an xcal2 and a couple of tunes usually from him. if you had him custom tune it, $150 for that plus dyno time. so if you already have the xcal2 you are ahead of the game. those are current prices, so don't hold him to it. best bet is to give him a call.

Needcobra

Established Member
i think it cost me about $200 dyno time them $150 with Jon Lund tunning on the dyno

Plus i had to pay $399 for xcal

Im still looking at the 2step to see if it would really help me. It will depend how much track time i see this year.

CHINI

Do Work
Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
yes, it is harder on the turbo, but how often are you really doing it? at the track and when that pesky little import is revving at you...lol

I did that once to an eclipse..should have seen their jaws drop.
I dont think 2 twins winding up would sound as cool as a big single! But damn i am going to do it all the time! lol

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
what do you mean? are you talking about the hellion kit install or MSD install? I assume hellion because you asked about turbo install, but the thread is about the MSD 2-step.

the hellion is a DIY install and I think all of them out there are. You can do the hellion install with typical hand tools, floor jack and jack stands. it isn't hard if done properly. Like everything, you need to follow the directions. If you don't, it will seem like a pain in the a$$.

I would never pay thousands for tuning and hope people aren't paying that. Jon Lund has tuned quite a few of these hellion cars and other turbo cars has one himself. he could probably get pretty close on a mail order, but you would need to get some datalogs back to him for tweaks if needed.

$399 for an xcal2 and a couple of tunes usually from him. if you had him custom tune it, $150 for that plus dyno time. so if you already have the xcal2 you are ahead of the game. those are current prices, so don't hold him to it. best bet is to give him a call.
So how much is a hellion exactly? My friend has a GT that he wants to make it faster and he isnt what you call wealthy lol.

Users who are viewing this thread