How does do lightnings compare to 6.0 ss trucks

NOTASTOCKDOHC

Established Member
Just wondering, I know this is a ford web site but try to be honest. I am talking about drag racing and handling. I am wanting a 2001/up lightning my bro has a 6.0 silverado ss awd truck and he told me It would own a lightning? He has cold air pipe. I told him I don't think he us right. I told him even the srt10 viper truck can't dead even with a lightning. But I want to hear what you guys think. Let's just say stock 04 lightning vs 04 ss 6.0 silverado. Just curious can let my lil bro beat me lol.

4a7191a

Established Member
ive raped one with exhaust real bad one time. all i had was a 4# lower , coldair, catback and a crappy canned tune.

Dusten

Established Member
Like any 6.0 motor, the SS truck has lots of options. So they can be modified to run with us, but in stock form I wouldn't expect to see them anywhere but my rearview. Plus a lightning can throw a 4 or 6lb lower, some stick tires, good tune, MAF and traction bars, and run in the 12's. the SS is also considerably heavier.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
I've never met one that had as much horsepower as the driver had ego. There was a local one which had the tag MRSS2U, and some trucknuts.
How did it fair against my '04 Lightning.
Let's just say it got castrated.
I haven't seen it since.
The LS motors can be made to be very mean and are nothing to laugh at, especailly after a cam swap. But in near stock form the SS is heavier than a Lightning, and thanks to the AWD the SS has more paracitic drivetrain power loss (about 25% from the crank to the wheels versus roughtly 15% on a Lightning).
But you will honestly have an easiser time finding a heavily modified SS, Osama Bin Laden, or even Bigfoot, than a stock Lightning.

4a7191a

Established Member
a buddy of mine thats lightning lays down 638hp did get whipped by one, but it had a cammed built LS7 and a turbo kit. it white smoked the 22's going into second.

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
All the above posts are correct. I humiliated one when I was bone stock in three back to back runs. Sure they can run well when modded but so does a L. Stock vs. stock they aren't even close.

NOTASTOCKDOHC

Established Member
That's what I was thinking guys. Lightning has the power and less weight. I did however see some mean ass ss on you tube beating the crap out of lightnings. But I am sure there are more mean lightnings floating around than the ss silverado.

fishin-nole

Bone idle and work shy!
Established Member
I ran one at the track and it was not even close. My 12.7 to his 15.2, this was back in 05 or 06. He was all stock and I have intake, exhaust and tune.

mick03

Established Member
My buddy has an SS and it runs really good. He has put alot in it to get it to runs 12's. alot more mods to get it comparable to the lightning.

Users who are viewing this thread