How do you pass smog?

Termi8441

Established Member
Hi Guy,

I use to have an 03 zinc yellow Cobra that I had to sell due to my financial situation at the time. Now that I'm back on my feet I'm hoping to find another one soon. I was just wondering how you guys with mods are able to pass smog in California with all of the strict emissions standards. When I had my termi I never made any major mods to it due to the fact that I didn't think I could pass smog. Do you guys put back to stock for the test and mod it again? Or are some smog stations more lenient than others? I've never really understood

Thanks,

Andy

02blownGT

Established Member
Most smog techs don't know what should be their vs what shouldn't.(i was a tech and met alot of techs that weren't very knowledgeable).It really depends on what mods were talking about here.we talking a bigger blower and exhaust?or are we talking turbos and cams?Most techs would either not want to touch it or not pay any attention since it came factory supercharged,exhaust just throw on a mid pipe with GOOD cats(preferably the stock one).Turbo and cams get ready to pay. If you got any specific questions throw me a pm and ill do the best i can to answer them.

Termi8441

Established Member
Ya I was thinking along the lines of an aftermarket supercharger, exhaust, intake and maybe a few other supporting mods. So are you saying that when I do go to get smoged I should just bs the guy and tell him that everything is stock and hope he buys it?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Unless you did crazy stuff it should not be a problem. Come to knotts and talk to some members and you'll know exactly what will pass smog and what won't

dmark101

dmark101
Established Member
i have some mild mods on my 01 cobra, as we as a tune, and i never have a problem passing smog.

of course, i have to swap out the x-pipe for the stock h-pipe, but that's no big deal. :)

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
Register in a county in CA that doesn't require smog testing.:read: Or pay someone. lol

stangfreak03GT

Established Member
As long as you swap back to the stock H pipe there isn't a problem. Plenty of shops around that charge a little extra to turn their heads.

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
You wanna fail my car and **** with me? Okay. You wanna play rough? Okay. Say hello to my little friend!

Pass
:coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread