How do you handle stupid sales calls

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Don't know the number then don't answer. Simple. If its important they will leave a message.

Zemedici

Established Member
I just dont answer the phone if I dont recognize the number.

If it matters they'll leave a message.....

Black2010

Established Member
no

I am gonna call bullshit. THEY called me, unsolicited and unwanted. That is my phone put there for my convenience not theirs. Don't think it woul fly with a DA or a jury.

Going to have to agree here as well. It's on a phone. If it makes you feel uncomfortable then you have the ability to hang up. If you continue with the conversation then it is no longer an unwanted communication.

If their truly are laws about that then I'll just say, "You can't fix stupid". Where harassment would come into play is if you are calling them and cont to call after being told no.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
We don't have a landline and I don't answer a call if I don't have your number saved as a contact. Problem solved
Not having a land line is the best and only real way of eliminating the sales/marketing calls. Use your cell phone for all calls. Being nasty to a sales rep won't discourage future calls. They'll just keep coming. Placing telemarketing calls to wireless phones is - and always has been - illegal in most cases, as stated by the FCC.

We used to get about a dozen calls after getting home from work. Many more during the day while we were at work. The do-not-call list is a freaking joke and there was no easy way to block the calls. So I terminated the land line and 99.5% of the calls are GONE. Legally telemarketers can't call cell phones. And if I get an occasional call (maybe one a month), I simply block the number on my iPhone. So simple! Evenings are no SO much more relaxing because the land line never rings. We love it!

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
no

I am gonna call bullshit. THEY called me, unsolicited and unwanted. That is my phone put there for my convenience not theirs. Don't think it woul fly with a DA or a jury.

Just saying it's possible, not that it's likely or will ever happen. Sexual harassment laws protect employees of a company against third parties such as customers (I realize you aren't a "customer" in the normal sense of the word, but it still applies) as well though.

Beavis281

Established Member
I have not picked up a land line in 10yrs.

The ONLY reason we have a land line at home is for the home security system.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can set up your home security to your cell phone now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I just dont answer the phone if I dont recognize the number.

If it matters they'll leave a message.....

Yup. I have a landline too, had to due to alarm system. Only people who know the # are close family. And I keep it on the lowest ring volume so it doesn't bother me if some spammer is calling.

Cellphones are easy. Ignore call, lookup number and if there are complaints about spam I just block it.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
I used to answer with, City Morgue
Now I answer with, Truth Verification Incorporated how may I direct your call? In a robot like voice.

Machdup1

Established Member
no

You could also just answer the phone and go on with whatever you are doing while they listen. Some of those call centers have a policy that they cannot hang up first.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
I just answer in Spanish.....or answer as Sal's Pizza can I take you order. Either way it throws them off and they just hang up with a thank you. If it's someone I know they know the gag.

I usually just don't answer but the pizza thing seems like a good idea. A little too generic but gives me a good idea. I can do a pretty good Chinese accent.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
If I'm not doing anything at that moment I like to try and keep them on the phone for as long as possible. By asking them to repeat that or ask them to start over...etc. It makes them really upset as I assume the more calls they make the better chance they have of landing a sucker

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Like a few others I attempt to keep them on the line as long as possible. Usually ends up with them telling me to **** myself and they hang up.

If I'm busy I just ask if they will suck me off. They normally hang up quickly.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

nxhappy

Established Member
we have a system. they will ask for "who is in charge of XX" and we make a code name like Joe Smith. So next time they call and ask for Joe, we know it's a sales call. I like to **** with them sometimes.

2000gt4.6

Established Member

"Examples of reasonable employer responses include warning the customer or other third party, orally or in writing, that repeated misconduct will result in a ban or refusal to do business, following through with a ban on the customer, or allowing the employee to avoid any interactions with the offender. If the employee is agreeable, you could reassign her to another job or area of the workplace so she can avoid interacting with the customer."

It is NOT illegal to talk to someone this way. The problem is the Employers, even in the case of a customer, not the customer. Unless you are violating a stalking law etc.

The employer must prevent the employee from being harassed, but it is not illegal to harass someone. For instance, an employee could make constant rude/sexual remarks to another, even after the offended employee asks them to stop. The employee could be fired, and in rare cases perhaps have a restraining order put in place (if they didn't stop after getting fired etc) but they are not charged with a crime.

The only possible law infraction would be the employer not stopping the harassment by dumping the customer/employee. The law requires the employer stop the harassment.

So good news...The worst case scenario is they drop you as a "customer"....WIN.

oldmodman

Established Member
I send all incoming calls into a little gadget I made. If it doesn't hear a passcode from the caller (and all my friend's have one) my phone never even rings. The unwanted caller just hears the line ring and ring.

Users who are viewing this thread