How do YOU avoid the in-laws during the holidays -

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
One of the most important life lessons I've learned is that people only want things for you if there is a benefit to them.
When it comes to having kids I think people envy those with the freedom of not having any. They try and convince you to have them so you can be dragged down to thier level of misery.
I joke, I'm sure kids are great

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
When it comes to having kids I think people envy those with the freedom of not having any. They try and convince you to have them so you can be dragged down to thier level of misery.

If you're not ready or don't want kids, then you will be miserable. If you can and DO want kids, it's without a doubt the best thing you could ever experience.

CV355

_
Established Member
If you're not ready or don't want kids, then you will be miserable. If you can and DO want kids, it's without a doubt the best thing you could ever experience.

What if I like the idea of kids, but think the world is too disgusting/dangerous of a place to bring someone into?

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Okay, so one down, one to go. I just got out of one of the holiday events. One of my sons is stuck on the coast for Thanksgiving and will be by himself, so I'm driving to the beach Thanksgiving day to have dinner with him.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I dont have any problems with mine. If they start to annoy me, i leave or go out side. I am very honest with my wife and if something really bothers me about them, i tell her. I dont understand how people deal with crap like that and make yourself suffer.

I pretty much remain silent and dont participate in conversation. It's worked well for over a decade. I even tell them i like my me time.

08mojo

Established Member

:D I think we'd get along great.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member

There are times when the freedom is enviable, but they are few and far between. I honestly can't even remember what I used to do with my free time before kids, so it must not have been all that great.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Avoid them?!

Hell, what fun is that?

Annoying them is my pleasure.

You see, the key is knowing what buttons to push to set them off and sit back and watch the show while eating pumpkin pie.

Damn. I'm getting hard thinking about it.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Since I posted this thread, I guess I should say that while the in-laws and the out laws annoy me in general and one of them makes me think evil thoughts, I do love my MIL who has been better to me and my kids than my own mother.

I took this pic yesterday when I left her nursing home after feeding her lunch yesterday. I go there twice a week to do that when my wife can't. She's there every morning and afternoon.

Now, back to vigorous in-law bashing.

fullsizeoutput_843.jpeg

Sirhc7897

Established Member
There's no avoiding the remaining half of my in-laws as we moved them in with us several years ago...House had plenty of room (and a whole second floor we weren't using that they took over)...

They were/are wonderful people. We don't necessarily approach or view life in the same way but we all respect each other's differences and try to force our views or opinions on each other. They essentially turned into our live-in child care for our two young children (girl 7, boy 4) and it was wonderful; kept them engaged and feeling young and kept our kids away from daycares while allowing my wife and I to easily balance work/home...

However, as with all good things, my mother in-law was taken away unexpectedly just before Christmas last year (aortic tear caught too late to repair and her recover). Needless to say Christmas was extremely difficult (did our best to still try and make it special for the kids). This will be our first Thanksgiving without her and, while she had the ability to absolutely drive you nuts (always from a good place), I'd give just about anything to know she was going to be around to this Thursday driving everyone crazy simply because she was trying too hard to make everything perfect...

So let them drive you crazy and say inappropriate things that you likely don't agree with....There are far worse alternatives...

Users who are viewing this thread