How do you avoid being keyed?

Smokinbago

MN Sports Fan!
Established Member
I have had my since April of 2001 and I have been keyed six times. I have not had problems in my neighborhood but every time I travel (FL, AL, WI, and MN) I get keyed. It is too the point now that I am waiting until they get unbearable before I have the whole car repainted. All of the keying has always been down to the metal so I cannot buff the scratches out.
Anyone have any advice on measures to avoid being keyed?

StangD281

Established Member
Jealous assholes don't let people have anything nice.....fact of life.

Don't drive your car to certain areas if you can avoid it.

thehyena

Resident DSMer
Established Member
here's what you do, park your car in an area that you have been keyed before, sit in some bushes with a brick. when someone attempts to key your car. hit them as hard as you can ni the face with a brick.

Fatty

Established Member
Originally posted by thehyena
here's what you do, park your car in an area that you have been keyed before, sit in some bushes with a brick. when someone attempts to key your car. hit them as hard as you can ni the face with a brick.

The good ole sittin in the bushes with a brick thing actually works for almost every situation. give it a try :)

Street Racer

Established Member
OMG, you must have the worst luck. Ever since I got my first car (9 years ago) I have never been keyed!! Knock on wood! But I have no idea how you can avoid being keyed. Its so easy to key a car...... it doesnt make a lot of noise, no one would notice them if the just did it while walking by. The only thing I can think of is to buy a really nice alarm that you can set the sesitivity, or one that has a proximity sensor so if anyone even gets close to your car that it goes off. Is it getting keyed in good or bad parts of town? If its not happening where you live but when you go out of town, I would drive a different car if possible. That just bugs me to death, I just dont believe in messing with another mans ride!!!!! :nonono:

Smokinbago

MN Sports Fan!
Established Member
Originally posted by thehyena

I like that idea, hopefully the judge will take it easy on me in court. The thing that really erks me is that there really is no way to stop it unless you have a 24/7 surveillence on your car where ever you go.

Smokinbago

MN Sports Fan!
Established Member
Originally posted by Street Racer
OMG, you must have the worst luck. Ever since I got my first car (9 years ago) I have never been keyed!! Knock on wood! But I have no idea how you can avoid being keyed. Its so easy to key a car...... it doesnt make a lot of noise, no one would notice them if the just did it while walking by. The only thing I can think of is to buy a really nice alarm that you can set the sesitivity, or one that has a proximity sensor so if anyone even gets close to your car that it goes off. Is it getting keyed in good or bad parts of town? If its not happening where you live but when you go out of town, I would drive a different car if possible. That just bugs me to death, I just dont believe in messing with another mans ride!!!!! :nonono:

I stay out of "bad" areas for the most part. The times that I have been keyed was at a tour of Miller in Milwaukee, and the rest were grocery stores.

I like the alarm suggestion but I don't want that thing going off when the wind blows.

The only good thing about it is that I have the touch up paint from Ford and you have to look be within 10ft of the car to notice the scars on the car.

zzzzzer

Livin' Life Roush-less :(
Established Member
Sorry to hear about your car, man. Some people are just jealous a//holes :fm:. I think you should try the following (if you haven't)...

(1) Always park near the entrance of a building. If you go to a mall don't go in through the main entrances b/c those parking spots are always taken. Instead go in through the entrance of JC Penny, Dillards, Sears, etc. They usually have GREAT spaces darn close to the door and windows. The people inside act as a deterrant (sp?) .

(2) If you're staying in a hotel when you're out of town ALWAYS park your car where you can see it from your room's window. No view of the pool -- get a view of the parking lot and and then park your car where you can see it.

(3) If you're going some place like the State Fair or to a club where you'll have to probably park waaaaay in the back and night you may want to leave your car somewhere safe (like home or the front parking space near the hotel's front entrance) and let a friend drive.

It sucks you actually have to think about this crap and may even have to change some habits b/c of jealous little pricks but those are just some ideas. Good luck, man...and don't worry b/c those b/stards are gonna run out of their cowardly luck one of these days and get caught in the act.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Go to an area where "keyers" are known to hang out and then shot one of them......just as an example to the rest of them. Ok...not really but hey that would probably work too.

thehyena

Resident DSMer
Established Member
Originally posted by Fatty
The good ole sittin in the bushes with a brick thing actually works for almost every situation. give it a try :)
it's a universal solution

Rearpl8tsinsite

QQQQ
Established Member
Get one of those alarms that talks. Program it to say "Warning do not key my car; I am in the bushes with a sniper rifle aimed at your head."

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Originally posted by Rearpl8tsinsite
Get one of those alarms that talks. Program it to say "Warning do not key my car; I am in the bushes with a sniper rifle aimed at your head."

:lol:

SVTHorsnake

Banned
DIEYou can't avoid it but you cna minimize it, sometimes proximity alarms just annoy people more so it happens more but they can also help, use your best judgement for the area, don't be too flashy and park in open, lit areas away from cars. I never park in parking stalls. Make sure you have nothing ricey etc. and don't piss people off on the road. I said some things and I'm not implying you do or don't do any of them. Good luck, it may just be the area you live in.

People that key cars - :bash: DIE!

:beer:

norcal_cobra

Brand-X Eater
Established Member
Well, definitely don't take up 2 spaces when you park, that's a sure way to get your car dented or keyed.

My old GT got keyed 8 years ago. It was parked next to a new at the time 300Z. Both my car and the Z were keyed.

-norcal_cobra

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
That is one advantage of having dark tinted windows. Most people won't attempt something like that if they cannot see in the car.

Lthl Venom 03

give me more boost!
Established Member
my cobra has ALREADY been keyed. happened at the movies in a supposedly VERY GOOD neighborhood.................. the brick idea sounds good to me.

Addicted to PSI

Established Member
Do you have anything on your car that would offend someone ? For example anti-Ricer stickers or something alike ....cuz that would make you a prime target :nono:

That is pretty bad luck either way! People that key others cars' low life's that can be man enough to take with owner of the car or just plain stupid!:bash:

take care

Users who are viewing this thread