How do I prep my drag radials?

GrayMonster03

Established Member
Hey guys, Im new at this so bear with me. Recently got my 03 Cobra up to 500 hp and the biggest issue I have, as you may have guessed it is ...TRACTION!!! I ported the blower and steeped the gears to 4.10s (3.90s on a 6 speed Cobra). Could not hook with my stock 275 nittos so I upgraded to 315/35/17 Toyo Proxes TQ's. They hook great on a second gear roll. But on a dig they break loose.

Last weekend I raced and lost against a fairly stock 04 cobra with only intake bolt ons and a tune running 315/35/17 street sumitomos in the rear (if you know these tires you know they run extremely narrow). I spun all throughout 1st gear and by the time we were both on second gear he was about 3 car lengths ahead of me. I burned out for about 4 seconds, and stopped once i noticed smoke. Launched at 2500 and dumped the clutch. Still spun.

MY QUESTION IS, did I spin out because I dumped the clutch and did not feather it out, or did I do so because of my tire pressure? I heard youre supposed to run DRs at around 14-17 psi when you run them. Idiot me had them at 33psi. Im under the impression that they were too hard and broke loose this way. What do you guys think? Whats they best way to prep drag radials? Any launch tips would be appreciated!:rolling:

DarkMach1

Established Member
Start at 20psi, 2nd gear burnout until you see smoke then let it roll up to the line.

b_dike

Established Member
You can't just dump the clutch at any rpm in 1st. Your guaranteed to spin like that. Try quickly slipping the clutch out of the hole with part throttle until you feel like it's going to hook. Then you can go wot... Also you might not be able go wot in 1st at all. If that's the case, just feather it out and short shift into 2nd so that you can put the power down sooner.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Lower tire pressure down to the lower 20s and try slipping the clutch from 3500 or so. On the street I normally go 1/2 to 3/4 until my foot is completely off the clutch then I lay into it. Never dump the clutch unless you want to have a smoke fest.

Coxy

Established Member
It's not the tires, or the torque, it's the driver. No real nice way to sugar coat it, so I apologize. Like darkmach said, try 20psi or so, put some heat in them, and work on clutch/throttle control.

Jmurrz

Established Member
With the 4.10's it will be tougher but you just have to moderate throttle. I had a few HP's shy of you but I absolutely loved my TQ's. I had no issues hooking first as long I was already moving. I found my best results from a dig was doing a small burnout and slipping the clutch. Practice and you will see results. Good luck!

ticopowell

Newish to SVT
Established Member
Various places... CA, UT, OK, been in TX and CO a
I agree that the driver mod should be your next thing, mine too.
Also wider tires don't help traction in drag races, traction is related to contact patch. Wider tires make a shorter patch, and skinnier tires make the patch taller. The way to increase the contact patch is more weight, or lower psi. In your case lowering the psi is what will work best to increase traction.

GrayMonster03

Established Member
Lower tire pressure down to the lower 20s and try slipping the clutch from 3500 or so. On the street I normally go 1/2 to 3/4 until my foot is completely off the clutch then I lay into it. Never dump the clutch unless you want to have a smoke fest.

Great tips. This is exactly what I wanted someone to explain to me, thanks man.

Ralo

Established Member
I guess this is on the street? Others already mentioned lower pressure but you can also try VHT and removing the front sway bar for a little more weight transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread