How do I deal with knock - datalogs showing masive knock

Angry50

Established Member
I don't think a standard funnel will work as it wont open the flap. I think it has to be the right size to push in the release pins

Kornilov

Established Member
I don't think a standard funnel will work as it wont open the flap. I think it has to be the right size to push in the release pins

Yup - just tried it with my regular long funnels and didnt work. So, Ill have to wait another 2 days to resume datalogs.

5PNTSLW

Back on the Saddle
Established Member
The one i posted is not a standard funnel, it is made just for the no caps. It is small, the picture may be deceiving

Kornilov

Established Member

Attachments

• 10719.jpg
    10719.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 645
Last edited:

Kornilov

Established Member
So, I think Im making some progress. Filled up a few gallons of fresh Exxon 93 and poured in a bottle of Lucas octane booster. This produced my first log with completely 0 knock:

test10.jpg

I did however have 3 additional logs showing 3+ knock at around 5200 rpm. However, this is down from 5+ from when it was just gas and no octane booster. I'll post those images below. If anyone wants to try to analyze this data, I would appreciate. Aside from knock & rpm, I dont know much about what Im looking at. The logs are below, the 0 knock one was the second of four.

5PNTSLW

Back on the Saddle
Established Member
You only had Negative(-) numbers in all of those logs(minus original of course), which means the car is adding timing, so crappy gas is your issue if you don't see positive numbers after adding the 104.

You are in VA, so i can attest to the crappy gas we get at least in the Richmond area.

blackcoyote13

Established Member
I run MS100 (5 gallons) mixed with 2 gallons of pump all the time now. High compression, high revving motor.. if you can afford it might as well protect it. My timing curve is almost perfectly flat, hitting 28 peak on the stock intake manifold and runs like a beast. Stock intake, stock cats, stock catback (GT500 muffler swap only). AEDAid in my mouth

Kornilov

Established Member
You only had Negative(-) numbers in all of those logs(minus original of course), which means the car is adding timing, so crappy gas is your issue if you don't see positive numbers after adding the 104.

You are in VA, so i can attest to the crappy gas we get at least in the Richmond area.

Yeah, definitely, the gas around here is crap this time of year, but on the last two logs I had some minor knock even with 104. In addition Shaun said he expected the ECU to add even MORE timing than it was and as such he couldnt rule out anything via remote datalogs so he wouldnt write a tune for my car. His potential concern was worn piston skirts causing piston slap.

So Im back to square one tuning wise. Im thinking the best way to get this adressed is to have Revauto physically lok at the car and dyno tune it but its a pain in the ass for me to get to Baltimore so Im putting it off for the moment.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Yeah, definitely, the gas around here is crap this time of year, but on the last two logs I had some minor knock even with 104. In addition Shaun said he expected the ECU to add even MORE timing than it was and as such he couldnt rule out anything via remote datalogs so he wouldnt write a tune for my car. His potential concern was worn piston skirts causing piston slap.

So Im back to square one tuning wise. Im thinking the best way to get this adressed is to have Revauto physically lok at the car and dyno tune it but its a pain in the ass for me to get to Baltimore so Im putting it off for the moment.
Why would you need a dyno tune? You just need to find good fuel somewhere or go e85.

A email remote tune will be just as good as a dyno tune.

Kornilov

Established Member
Why would you need a dyno tune? You just need to find good fuel somewhere or go e85.

A email remote tune will be just as good as a dyno tune.

Well, my concern is Shaun saying that I may have an 'injured motor'. I figure if I physically take the car to a reputable shop like RevAuto they can do a closer examination of the motor in person prior to tuning it and identify once and for all if A.) my issues are solely fuel related or if I have internal engine issues like piston slap.

Will a compression check show a worn piston skirt? Im not sure. Shaun implied that a worn piston skirt or turned up piston rings could still be sealing the chamber sufficiently but contributing to piston slap during high rpm operation. So at this point, I think it would be the best approach to rule out any internal engine concerns prior to proceeding.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Well, my concern is Shaun saying that I may have an 'injured motor'. I figure if I physically take the car to a reputable shop like RevAuto they can do a closer examination of the motor in person prior to tuning it and identify once and for all if A.) my issues are solely fuel related or if I have internal engine issues like piston slap.

Will a compression check show a worn piston skirt? Im not sure. Shaun implied that a worn piston skirt or turned up piston rings could still be sealing the chamber sufficiently but contributing to piston slap during high rpm operation. So at this point, I think it would be the best approach to rule out any internal engine concerns prior to proceeding.
Worn rings or piston skirt can show up on a manual compression test and a cylinder leak down test yes. If you had knock and added race gas/octane booster to your fuel then more then likely the gas in your area is crap. If you had engine damage or piston slap then you still would have had false knock.

Kornilov

Established Member
If you had engine damage or piston slap then you still would have had false knock.

Yeah, but at what rate? I ran 5 total logs with race gas. 3 showed no knock whatsoever and the last 2 each showed less than 1.0+. I just did a KAM reset and I'll run a few more tomorrow with the last of the race gas in the tank to see what shows up knockwise and go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread