How Do I Clean This?

46-062

Established Member
Was the paint always like that? I had my Mach 1 detailed by Mike Phillips of Autogeek.net when it was brand new (he was with Meguiar's back then). My car had overspray on top of the clearcoat on the trunk lid near the bottom of the rear window. We both thought it was missing clearcoat. Fortunately, when Mike rubbed some compound (Meguiar's M80) on the area, it revealed clearcoat underneath.

How Dark Shadow Gray overspray got on top the clearcoat, we couldn't figure out.

Rub some mild abrasive (polishing compound) over the edge of your panel. If you get paint on your towel and the area you rubbed looks the same, you've got clearcoat failure.

Last edited:

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
Was the paint always like that? I had my Mach 1 detailed by Mike Phillips of Autogeek.net when it was brand new (he was with Meguiar's back then). My car had overspray on top of the clearcoat on the trunk lid near the bottom of the rear window. We both thought it was missing clearcoat. Fortunately, when Mike rubbed some compound (Meguiar's M80) on the area, it revealed clearcoat underneath.

How Dark Shadow Gray overspray got on top the clearcoat, we couldn't figure out.

Rub some mild abrasive (polishing compound) over the edge of your panel. If you get paint on your towel and the area you rubbed looks the same, you've got clearcoat failure.

Well I didn't buy it new so I have no idea. i have a sneaky suspicion the car spent LOTS of time outside (1st owner). The same crap is on the glass and I could really only get it off with a scraper; not something I am willing to do on the paint.
Ill give that a shot.. Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread