How big is the stock throttle body?

SVTcobra88

Hi i am brand new to the forums. I wanted to buy a bigger throttle body for my 2001 cobra, but first wanted to see if anyone knows the size of the stock throttle body. Also what brand of throttle body people prefer going with on their Cobra. The car is all stock except CAI and exhaust. THANKS:beer:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
A tb that flows more is a waste of money on a near stock, bolt on engine. There are many other mods that provide more hp per $$.

GreySVTSnake01

Established Member
+1 You're going to spend $200.00+ for maybe 1hp if you're lucky. Even with a blower a larger TB is only worth about 5hp. The fact is the stock TB already flows well and isn't a restriction. Stock cats on the other hand....

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
As said, stay stock.

HP gain is not enough to make it worth the $$ you spend and the idle issues most end up with.

zPipes

Established Member
How big is the stock throttle body?

My answer, sir, is BIG ENOUGH TO EAT YOUR FACE OFF.

ok no, seriously, thats just my rage problem.. and you left me an opening so thanks for being my release.

Anyhow I would agree with the fellas up above, not really a big deal for you yet. And btw, welcome!

bmnofear1

Established Member
Just installed a accufab TB....major let down. deff not worth the $$. now i have an idle issue to go along with it

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
I hear different opinions, they say it gives you better throttle response and other say it aint worth a S*hit. Its better off to stay with the stocker.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
The only real gain may be a little throttle response. The HP gain is minimal when N/A.

It is pretty much given the the little gain is not worth the $$ or the possible idle issues.

Bite Me

Established Member
Those idle issues are a problem. Seems like every car I get in with an aftermarket TB has them sticky on startup, sticky once heated, etc.

Leave it alone IMO.

GreySVTSnake01

Established Member
To go along with the idle issues. If you have a larger throttle body than you need you can also lose air intake charge speed and lose torque down low. NA Cobras don't have any low end torque to give up in the first place. Not worth 1-2 hp.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
To go along with the idle issues. If you have a larger throttle body than you need you can also lose air intake charge speed and lose torque down low. NA Cobras don't have any low end torque to give up in the first place. Not worth 1-2 hp.

Not true at all. The only place you want or need velocity in in the intake runners.

Carbed combos need velocity thru the venturis to make good power and tq, fuel injected cars can have a TB the size of a trash can and still make power and tq.

GreySVTSnake01

Established Member
Not true at all. The only place you want or need velocity in in the intake runners.

Carbed combos need velocity thru the venturis to make good power and tq, fuel injected cars can have a TB the size of a trash can and still make power and tq.

Well, ok. I guess I read that somewheres. I put a 75mm TB on my 2v GT and it really felt it lost something down low. That was a SOTP measurement, so I guess I could be wrong. I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread