How bad are Lightning on gas?

xenon

Established Member
I am thinking about buying one and I need to calculate how much I would cost in gas. This would be my daily driver and also used to pull my waverunner.

Does it need 91octane? How large is the fuel tank?

Gas prices in Canada are much different than the US.

91oct = $1.15/Liter or $4.34/Gallon
87oct = $1.05/Liter or $3.96/Gallon

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
91 octane minimum.

25 Gallon tank.

I get about 12 MPG, but that's very little high-way, stop and go traffic (my area has a lot of that), and racing it.

If you're worried about gas, then this may not be the truck for you, lol. You'll also have to factor in the heavy foot that comes along with the purchase of a Lightning. Your gas prices! Yikes! Although I already knew they were higher than ours, but still, dang! If you don't "hotrod" it (even though it's a hotrod pickup) you can get decent gas mileage (all things considered).

Last edited:

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
I average 11-12 mpg in all around driving. Not bad for a 5,000 pound, 600 hp vehicle IMO. It'll still get 15+ on highway trips too as long as I can stay out of da BOOOOOOOOOOOOST.

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
Lightmare said:
Now there's an exciting forum! With the threads we all love and cherish, like this gem...

"Seatbelt ding...it's driving me crazy!!"

and who could forget the infamous...

"Stuck CD"

:lol1:

OMG Lightmare that's hilarious. hahaha

I get anywhere from 9mpg - 13mpg, depends on how I drive.

203Cree

Established Member
I milked 20 out of it a coupl times. Used to avg 18 on the highway stock. Now it's about 10-12 no matter what, lol.

y0rascal

I admit to being a Newbie
Established Member
i drove pretty much all highway with this truck and raced a mustang a few times on the way and i have 260 miles on this tank and i still have 1/4 tank left... so im do for some good mileage but its was pretty much 90% highway...

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
11 in the city is my best..with alot of stop and go.

on a side note...if you are worried about gas a supercharged V8 pickup...is the wrong vehicle to be looking at

OldTimer

An Old Drag Racer
Established Member
Every time I see a thread with this question I have to chuckle. Are you serious? Do the math; Average modded L is 400-450+ RWHP and 5000 pounds... not to mention "spirited" driving on occassion :coolman: that many Lightning owners seem to enjoy. I'm afraid to even calculate the mileage!!! This is one of those "if you have to ask, then you shouldn't" types of questions.:bash:

Users who are viewing this thread