How 2 get to the 12's???

H8IMPORTS

Established Member
I have 4.10's, Steeda underdrive pulleys, C&L cold air, X-pipe and Magnaflow exhaust. I have a 125 shot Zex kit but I want to get mid 12's alll motor. I know I will probably need Long tubes and a short runner intake. Is there anything else I could do. I really can't afford cams. I was wanting to know everyones opinions on what else I should do. Should I change gears and go lower?

Thanks
Chris

95PGTTech

Established Member
what do you run on motor now? I'd imagine all you'd need is a good set of slicks (it's your call, but we won't run slicks on anything less than a built rear, we can't afford to blow one up).

What I consider a "built" rear. 31 spline diff, 31 spline axles (no c-clip elims on street car), welded tubes with braces, stud kit and girdle, upper and lower control arms and torque box reinforcements. if you're running street tires and no suspension now, you're 60' is probably in the 2.2 range. with a rear and slicks on 4.10s, you should be able to click off consistent 1.7s or lower pretty easily. a .5 reduction in 60' translates to 1 second in the quarter.

Rocsfinest97

Domestics > Imports
Established Member
slicks, subframes, control arms FTW.

Also a short throw, you'd be suprised at the difference it can make in your driving.

351inside

Established Member
i did a 12.88 with ZERO suspension mods, and bfg DR's in the back, and 3.73's not a built rear end!

95PGTTech

Established Member
I was trying to recommend what he could do with the power levels he has now that would not limit his options in the future, or require him to change his gear or ditch weight aka make the car suck to drive. I've seen too many a DR even twist a Mustang axle and snap it halfway in the tube to suggest trying to get away with it. Some people report that they've run them for two years with no problems, other people like my friend Bob really goose it out of the hole with a decent suspension setup and 1.7x 60' on DRs and on 315 BFG's he lasted 12 passes before his driver side axle went kaboom and took out a lot of expensive stuff along the way.

He has a shifter. Forgot about subframes though, they are a good idea.

H8IMPORTS

Established Member
Sorry but I do have subframes and a short throw shifter. I have the complete Kenny brown Matrix kit on the car.

I have some Lakewood upper's and lower's I was going to put on the car. The lowers are like these in the picture.

bars.gif

On street tires it ran a 13.77. My friend has a 2001 Cobra that ran a 13.50 at the track and I pulled him pretty good on the street. My car also ran a 12.98 on the spray with street tires. The run was also before the pulleys.

I want mid 12's out of the car because I miss my old coupe. It ran 12.50 (all motor) in the 1/4 and I drove it everyday. So I just want my Cobra to do the same but of course I would like it faster.

So I'm going to put the uppers and lowers on this weekend and go the the track and try it.

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Mid 12's with 4.10s is gonna be hard to get but not impossible.
- LTs,
- Short runner
- Weight removal
- 15" DRs
- Aggressive Tune

H8IMPORTS

Established Member
Mid 12's with 4.10s is gonna be hard to get but not impossible.
- LTs,
- Short runner
- Weight removal
- 15" DRs
- Aggressive Tune

Where can I take weight out and not really hurt anything? I have a 17 month old that I have to carry back and forth to daycare. Will 15's fit. I didn't think anything but 16 or bigger will fit. I have some 26x11.50x17's I'm going to run.

What gears should I run?

What are your 60ft times?

Don't remember. I know they weren't good. I also think my clutch was slipping a little when I was changeing gears. If I remember I think it was about a 2.2-2.3???

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
To get 12's out of your car on motor you're going to need either a whole lot of parts to make more power or you're going to need drastic weight reduction with tons of hook through suspension parts, ballsy tires, and 4.56+ rear gears.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread