Hotwire fuel pump for more flow?

330racing

SVT Poster Boy
Established Member
Just wondering if this will work on our cars...I did this on my '91 Talon Turbo....

Add a larger gauge wire (8 or 10 gauge) from the battery, and run it to a relay mounted near the pump. Then cut the stock 12V wire leading to the pump, and splice the relay inline. You would use the stock supply wire as the "switch" to turn on the new relay.

This would allow full voltage to the pump as the stock supply wire is small and can cut voltage to the pump to 10v or less.....

at least this is the theory for DSMs....

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Your theory (and mine too, for that matter) would work if you used a solid state relay.

In our cars, the fuel pumps are modulated by a driver module that, for high fuel flow cars, runs out of amperage when high flow pumps are used. A mechanical relay would be too slow.

Also, if our pumps were left powered 100% of the time, I've heard that with our returnless system, they'd overheat.

MJchip's beefing up the driver module, but it's not really necessary for us under 500 at the tires folks.

330racing

SVT Poster Boy
Established Member
With my nitrous kit I should be at about 525-550rwhp and I didn't really want to buy a BAP when all that unit does is raise voltage.

mm49

Established Member
I have performed this mod on several Cobras. PM me for the details. It can add roughly 10-12% Pump Duty cycle over the stock wire.

Jon L

Users who are viewing this thread