Horsepower and Timing

slowbra1

Established Member
OK, how much power is in a point of timing.

How much power do you gain going from 18 degrees of timing to 24 degrees of timing ?

Now lets assume you have the octane/fuel to support the added timing, you have a TVS with a 2.4 and 10% lower and supporting mods.

How much gain can be expected.

1320 Junkie

Established Member

How much power do you gain going from 18 degrees of timing to 24 degrees of timing ?

Now lets assume you have the octane/fuel to support the added timing, you have a TVS with a 2.4 and 10% lower and supporting mods.

On my own car ive seen 1* make 15hp and ive seen 3* make 30hp....can vary quite a bit so theres no definitive answer.

nxhappy

Established Member
1 point advanced timing = roughly 10 whp

with 93 you should only run up to 18^ of timing

anything above 18 and you should be running race fuel. Or run a meth kit. One wrong move and you will blow the motor.

MattR

Established Member
Pretty sure lund has mine at 21 degrees on 93. Maybe it's going to blow up. I'm no tuner, I sure hope he didn't set me up for disaster

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Pretty sure lund has mine at 21 degrees on 93. Maybe it's going to blow up. I'm no tuner, I sure hope he didn't set me up for disaster
Ecu can pull timing accordingly....the old school train of thought wasnt done with a car that has LEGIT wide bands built into it (2011+GT500's) you can get away with it because in conjunction with the Widebands the IATs and Knock sensors can pull timing as well....but 21* is alot on pump gas...19* is the max I would put in my own car on 93.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member

I am at 20 degrees on 93 octane, without knock sensors. Lund tuned mine in person on a Mustang Dyno. I am not worried about it.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
The car will pull timing if IAT's get high. The factory protection cuts 25% of timing for every 50* over 100* I believe. If your AFR is a little fat then you're fine to run a bit of timing in it.

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
Tuners have different ways of approaching timing. For example, some are lean and less timing. Some are rich and more timing. That said, it is not the same for everyone.

slowbra1

Established Member
Ecu can pull timing accordingly....the old school train of thought wasnt done with a car that has LEGIT wide bands built into it (2011+GT500's) you can get away with it because in conjunction with the Widebands the IATs and Knock sensors can pull timing as well....but 21* is alot on pump gas...19* is the max I would put in my own car on 93.

Now Jay when you had your TVS you used 24.5 degrees of timing at track correct ?

nxhappy

Established Member
I realize there are plenty of factors. However, all it takes is one bad batch of gas, and say bye bye to the motor. If you are running over 19^ advance timing, I would be using Torco or race fuel . Just for the added safety. Especially if you are running high boost.

slowbra1

Established Member
I realize there are plenty of factors. However, all it takes is one bad batch of gas, and say bye bye to the motor. If you are running over 19^ advance timing, I would be using Torco or race fuel . Just for the added safety. Especially if you are running high boost.

Proper fuel is used always, Im a stickler about that.

Im very interested in the effects of timing on power.

TVS VERT

Established Member
i run 18* timing and 17psi with 91 octane pump gas zero issues and tuner has 100% confidence in it, cylinder head temps are a better measurement then iat2's at which to pull timing.....but with that being said i picked up 30 rwhp on a 16 to 18* jump on a mustang dyno

Last edited:

BilletProShop

Established Member

expect noticeable gains, with the proper fuel of course, on our shop car we run a gizilion degrees of timing

nxhappy

Established Member
i run 18* timing and 17psi with 91 octane pump gas zero issues and tuner has 100% confidence in it, cylinder head temps are a better measurement then iat2's at which to pull timing.....but with that being said i picked up 30 rwhp on a 16 to 18* jump on a mustang dyno

you have balls my friend. one bad batch of gas and say bye bye to your motor. you better start using torco to prevent detonation. Or just pump 93 octane. Ask yourself, is it REALLY worth that extra 30 hp ?

Users who are viewing this thread