Horrific drone-need thoughts

calispecial

Established Member
My prior 04 cobra had stock mid-pipe with borla stinger catback. The drone was not bad. I sold that baby and now have an 03 cobra (both convertibles) and wanted a different sound.

I went with an MRT catted H-pipe and the quiet borla catback (Steeda). The drone or buzz is horrible from about 1800 rpm to about 2400 rpm.

I talked with MRT and they said chambered mufflers, like the steedas, actually give you more drone than the straight thru, or S type mufflers.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this. I am strongly considering putting the stock mid-pipe back on. The other thought I have is going to an S type muffler.

I don't want to wake the neighbors but I want a deep muscular sound.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

IA Shelby

Established Member
I had mrt h with flow masters horrible drone. Switched to stock mod pipe and borla atak. Love the set up. Slight drone at 2k in 6th, but nothing even comparable to previous set up.

Tame when cruising barks hard when you stomp on it. Stingers would be great with a stock mid pipe as well.

keith89

Established Member
I had the MRT catted-H and magnaflows. No drone.

I ended up giving the MRT catted-H to my brother who has an 04 GT with dynomax mufflers. He has a slight drone. Different engine and muffler/back setup.

Last edited:

calispecial

Established Member
Thanks for the responses guys. Interesting about the magnaflows.

Thanks for the sound bite IA Shelby. Those do sound good.

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
+1 for what IA Shelby said. I've had several setups over the years and now that I have a stock H, I'll never go back. Plenty of growl coming out of the pipes out back, but not loud in the cabin. I have a MAC 2.5" catback by the way.

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
Steedas are straight through mufflers not chambers , I would add some bullit mufflers after the cats to clear it up some.

Quick Strike

Established Member
I had the Steeda catback with the stock H and it was great. Then I added a MRT H and had the same terrible drone. It was better with a FR-500 (M-58) catback and sound deadener (B-Quiet Ultimate), but it was still a little annoying. Now with headers, X pipe and FR-500 it is nice again.

Crimson2v

Established Member
I had the Steeda catback with the stock H and it was great. Then I added a MRT H and had the same terrible drone. It was better with a FR-500 (M-58) catback and sound deadener (B-Quiet Ultimate), but it was still a little annoying. Now with headers, X pipe and FR-500 it is nice again.

Do you have any videos of your car with the current set up. I have the FR-500 catback with an o/r h-pipe and would like to add some long tubes one day. I am curious what the difference in sound would be.

calispecial

Established Member
Guys,
thanks for all the input. I think I am going to try welding in some S type mufflers vs. the Steeda chambered design. My wife drove it for the first time a couple of days ago and her comment was "now I know why the TV is blaring all the time".

I will let everyone know what I do and how it works out.

Quick Strike

Established Member
Do you have any videos of your car with the current set up. I have the FR-500 catback with an o/r h-pipe and would like to add some long tubes one day. I am curious what the difference in sound would be.

I only have it idling after rebuilding the engine. I don't know if it will help with any decision, but it is here.

ctgreddy

Established Member
sounds like I have the combo you're looking for. I have an o/r midpipe and the magnaflow catback, not the magnapacks, the normal ones. there's "straight thru" but there's a curve in the middle and a lot more sound deadening, looks like a normal muffler from the outside. my car was quiet at idle and cruising, but still had a little rumble at idle. accelerating was perfect, loud but not loud enough to always get attention when you dont need it. and wot was very loud, throaty, and crisp. I doubt i'll ever be changing this setup. and the best part, no drone on the highway at 2200.

Users who are viewing this thread