Horrid belt squeal.

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
Cool thanks Givens

I just have the squeal when cold. Started once the temps got into the 40s here.

Headers, E85, and a smaller pulley are about a month out so I'll have to live with it until then.

Sorry I didn't see you said Gates also, but any Orileys you can get the black or green hd Gates belt. I've gotten lucky in the past and they've had them in stock.

86gt5liter

Established Member
I had the same issue and ordered a gatorback and squeal went away and hasn't come back. I ordered mine on Rockauto under the continental part # but received gatorbacks still.

MG0h3

Established Member
Sorry I didn't see you said Gates also, but any Orileys you can get the black or green hd Gates belt. I've gotten lucky in the past and they've had them in stock.

Nah just looking to try the Gatorback. Oreilleys does good getting the Gates in real quick. I had them get 3 sizes; ordered in AM and they were there in the afternoon.

I just realized Im running the same belt with the 3.5 pulley that the car came with on the 3.75 pulley. I replaced the tensioner at the same time; guess they had the stop knocked off because Ive got the shortest belt I can on there.

Only squeals when cold though; not WOT.

31BCobra

#60 04' Cobra - Torch Red
Established Member
Just an update for you guys.
Swapping over to the gatorback belt worked good. No more squeal, even in cold weather / cold starts. The nightmare is finally over.

It ended up taking longer than I had liked because I accidentally ordered the 6 rib version from Amazon. Nobody local carries these belts. Napa, pep boys, oreillys, autozone, etc etc. None of them had / could order it. The good news is all these belts are prime eligible on Amazon.

For anyone else in the future looking to order one of these they are now called "Continental Elite" belts. The 8 rib versions are under the part #4080XXX - 40 is the type of belt, 80 is the rib type and xxx is for the different lengths.

Here is the belt I bought to get you started - Continental Elite "Gatorback"
You can find belt sizes and part #s HERE
The 8 rib #s start about 3/4 of the way down the list.

I will update the thread if I have any other than normal wear or issues with the belt.

Thanks for the help everyone. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread