Horrid belt squeal.

31BCobra

#60 04' Cobra - Torch Red
Established Member
Ever since I bought this car there has been horrible belt squeal. It would scream on startup, and then go away as it warmed up. When I was doing all the fuel system work and lower pulley work I noticed that the bearing on my tensioner let go, replaced that thinking the wobble was the source of the issue. No such luck.

I have tried so many different things that I found in the search thread, checking alignment, making sure all the bearings were good, buying a new belt, so far nothing has worked.

Any other things that I could try to get rid of this? It is super annoying to drive somewhere if I have it sitting more than 15 minutes as the embarrassing squeal returns.

EDIT:Issue solved by switching over to a Continental Elite "Gatorback" belt. See post #24 in this thread.

Last edited:

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
What brand of belt are you running?

Are you sure the belt is the right length?

Make sure its not the A/C belt....

31BCobra

Established Member
It is the Gates Micro V K080xxx series of belts. I have tried about 5 different ones of varying lengths all the way down to where myself and 2 other people could not get it on. They all squeal.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Make sure its not the A/C belt....
Easy enough to check. Remove the outer belt and start the car. If it still squeals, then it's the inner belt.

Just remember that you won't have an alternator so only need to start and run for a minute or so you don't run down the battery.

31BCobra

Established Member
Easy enough to check. Remove the outer belt and start the car. If it still squeals, then it's the inner belt.

Just remember that you won't have an alternator so only need to start and run for a minute or so you don't run down the battery.

Yea, already done that. It is definitely the blower belt.

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
Have you spun all the pulleys with the belt off to insure that you don't have a pulley with a bad bearing?

What blower and pulley are your running? Do you have a snub idler ?

I like running gatorback belts personally

edit: hows the tension on your belt tensioner?

Last edited:

31BCobra

Established Member
Have you spun all the pulleys with the belt off to insure that you don't have a pulley with a bad bearing?

What blower and pulley are your running? Do you have a snub idler ?

I like running gatorback belts personally

edit: hows the tension on your belt tensioner?

Yes, all the pulleys spin freely with no grind or squeak. They looked fine as well when I removed all of them to clean the surfaces.

Blower pulley is a Reichard Racing 2.900 with a 100mm snub idler.

Belt tension is tight. I have the RR manual + spring assisted tensioner. Got the belt that fits the tightest with the tensioner completely loose and then tightened it further from there.

At this point I am thinking maybe it is the manual tensioner, but then I personally know 3 other people with it and they have no issues. *shrug

Edit: I also tried sanding and cleaning the surface of the belt with some 150 grit sandpaper. No help there either. Maybe I will have to give the gatorback belts a try.

Last edited:

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
This is pretty odd, have you recently changed anything?

Can you post a pic of your setup?

Any problems with belt slip while in boost?

I'm not a real fan of manual tensioners, I ran the stock one till I switched blowers, and then went to the Thump.

I really like the Gatorback, I also ran a gates black and gates green belt both belts didn't last long.

31BCobra

Established Member
I changed my fuel system and switched to a 6lb lower recently. Before it was a aftermarket lower setup that was at stock diameter. But this issue has been going on since I bought the car almost 2 years ago, I just had been doing so much work to it, that it never really bothered me that much.

I will try to get a picture tomorrow for you to see.

No slip in boost, even at 25psi.

Planning on going to the thump one for christmas lol.

Gatorback on order.

Rambro

Established Member
I had a gatorback on my car for years and it never chirped. Switched to a dayco and metco idlers and if it's even remotely cool outside it will chirp like crazy for about the first ten minutes then stops. I'd like to go back to a gatorback. It also seems the blower whine was louder with the gatorback at all times where as with the dayco it's real quiet untill you go wot.

cj428mach

Established Member
I had a gates on my car and it was quiet for months then one day on start up it just started screeching and would do that until warm.

I swapped it with a gatorback and no noise ever again. I only run gatorbacks now.

juskol18

Established Member
I have a gates green belt and it does the same thing. Seems like if the motor is under a load it goes away but as soon as your cruising or idling it's there!

matthayn

COBRO TO 5.BRO
Established Member
I had embarrassing belt squeal, replaced all my idlers bearings for good measure but the squeal was in the belt. I tried multiple Gates belts, all perfect tension, nothing fixed it until I threw a Gatorback on and haven't had a hint of squeal since.

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
I changed my fuel system and switched to a 6lb lower recently. Before it was a aftermarket lower setup that was at stock diameter. But this issue has been going on since I bought the car almost 2 years ago, I just had been doing so much work to it, that it never really bothered me that much.

I will try to get a picture tomorrow for you to see.

No slip in boost, even at 25psi.

Planning on going to the thump one for christmas lol.

Gatorback on order.

That may just fix it, let us know how it turns out....

31BCobra

Established Member
Thanks for the advice guys. I have the Gatorback on order, only thing that worries me is that I am going to have belt slip, especially running 25psi on a 6lb lower. I guess we will find out.

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
Thanks for the advice guys. I have the Gatorback on order, only thing that worries me is that I am going to have belt slip, especially running 25psi on a 6lb lower. I guess we will find out.

I have no slip at 28 psi best belt I've run so far

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
How did you check alignment? If GY GB belt still makes noise, try moving blower pulley in or out on shaft. I ended up having to move pulley out 1/8" from flush, but never got gates belt to be quiet , have to run GY GB which has 50% of ribs/grip missing...

MG0h3

Established Member
have you guys found any local parts stores (Napa, autozone, etc) selling gator back or just gates?

MG0h3

Established Member
Cool thanks Givens

I just have the squeal when cold. Started once the temps got into the 40s here.

Headers, E85, and a smaller pulley are about a month out so I'll have to live with it until then.

Users who are viewing this thread