Hopslam ale.............

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
What an outstanding beer this is. I liken it to a supercharged Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Sierra Nevada is probably one of my top 5 favorite beers. The Hopslam is excellent. Switching gears, the Great Lakes Brewing Co. Edmund Fitzgerald Porter is probably one of the best porters I've tasted to date. Postban, JPJR, MidlifeC, Fresh03, and others should come over to my pad to celebrate the different styles of beers that are in my fridge. Who in the hell is going to drink 24 Hell hath no Fury ales....................................:beer:

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
MidLifeC said:
So my advice was worthwhile?

I have some of both.
Did you try the Founders Breakfast Stout yet?
No, haven't tried that yet.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
plan b said:
...snip.. Who in the hell is going to drink 24 Hell hath no Fury ales....................................:beer:

:)

It may take more than one trip tho........

texaswrx

Established Member
Is that a local only beer? I also enjoy Sierra, as well as anything from New Belgium. I just finished a couple of NB Wheats. In the words of Homer, Mmmmmmmmm , beer.

Jpjr

Established Member
You guys and your fancy beers. I could drop $14.99 for a case of Keystone Light and a funnel at Meijer and be just as happy :beer:

But I'll definitely come over and try them....

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
texaswrx said:
Is that a local only beer? I also enjoy Sierra, as well as anything from New Belgium. I just finished a couple of NB Wheats. In the words of Homer, Mmmmmmmmm , beer.

Bell's is a made in MI beer but you should be able to find it somewhere around you're area. Most good beer stores have Bell's. The hopslam is seasonal though so you can't get it all the time.

Jpjr

Established Member
plan b said:
Bell's is a made in MI beer but you should be able to find it somewhere around you're area. Most good beer stores have Bell's. The hopslam is seasonal though so you can't get it all the time.

Bells is getting wider distribution as the years go by.. it really is great beer overall and very unique IMO.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Sounds good and will have to keep an eye out for it. I am a big Sierra Fan as well. Not sure if it is out there but look for a beer called Hop Wallop. It's made by Victory Brewing Co. and very hoppy. Alc. content is 8.25%

Awesome stuff if you are into the Hops!

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
Bell's does not distribute to Texas or Maryland. Yet.

Hopslam, it's not just the quantity of hops, but the combination and full flavor - especially when it reaches about 55 degrees.

BTW, Founders makes a 'Triple' IPA called Devil Dancer.

Jpjr

Established Member
MidLife:

Just out of curiosity, what are your all time favorite beers:

1. Everyday (MVP)
2. Domestic
3. Foreign
4. By Type (Ale, Lager, etc.)
5. Seasonal/Specialty

Anyone else?

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
Jpjr,

To answer your question, I like a lot of different beers. My 'gateway' beer was Sam Adams, then the leap into being a 'beer snob' as my daughter calls it was cemented by Oberon.

1. I have no particular favorite, I will choose a beer depending upon mood, time of day, or food pairing. I currently have about 25 distinct beers to choose from in the cellar. Some beers (stouts, strong ales) need to be aged.
2. I prefer to drink a Michigan beer first if given a choice, Bells or Founders. Stone and Rouge are consistently good and available. I hope to soon acquire some Three Floyds.
3. I am concentrating on Domestic crafts first, with an occasional English, German or Belgian Ale when available or when I travel. Guiness is a 'fallback' beer for me when I can't get one of the other brands.
5. My preference is to match the beer 'heaviness' by the season. Hence, Oberon is a perfect summer time beer. Octoberfests (Marzens) are great during the fall. Porters and Stouts are great for the cooler weather. I drink IPA's and Strong Ale's throughout the year.
4. Favorites:
Bells: Hopslam, Two Hearted, Oberon, Amber, some of the stouts.
Founders: so far, Breakfast Stout
Stone: RIS, Ruination, IPA, Smoked Porter, Arrogant Bastard
Rogue: The Stouts, DeadGuy
Some odds and ends Great Divide, NorthCoast, Great Lakes
There's a few more brands I'd like to try.
IMHO, Many beers of one variety are both good and different and worthy of drinking. For example Stone Ruination, Dogfish Head 90 minute, and Bell's Hopslam are all great DIPA's.

FreSh03Gt

Established Member
plan b said:
What an outstanding beer this is. I liken it to a supercharged Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Sierra Nevada is probably one of my top 5 favorite beers. The Hopslam is excellent. Switching gears, the Great Lakes Brewing Co. Edmund Fitzgerald Porter is probably one of the best porters I've tasted to date. Postban, JPJR, MidlifeC, Fresh03, and others should come over to my pad to celebrate the different styles of beers that are in my fridge. Who in the hell is going to drink 24 Hell hath no Fury ales....................................:beer:

I'm off after Friday what day you want to do this?

Jpjr

Established Member
MidLifeC said:
Jpjr,

To answer your question, I like a lot of different beers. My 'gateway' beer was Sam Adams, then the leap into being a 'beer snob' as my daughter calls it was cemented by Oberon.

1. I have no particular favorite, I will choose a beer depending upon mood, time of day, or food pairing. I currently have about 25 distinct beers to choose from in the cellar. Some beers (stouts, strong ales) need to be aged.
2. I prefer to drink a Michigan beer first if given a choice, Bells or Founders. Stone and Rouge are consistently good and available. I hope to soon acquire some Three Floyds.
3. I am concentrating on Domestic crafts first, with an occasional English, German or Belgian Ale when available or when I travel. Guiness is a 'fallback' beer for me when I can't get one of the other brands.
5. My preference is to match the beer 'heaviness' by the season. Hence, Oberon is a perfect summer time beer. Octoberfests (Marzens) are great during the fall. Porters and Stouts are great for the cooler weather. I drink IPA's and Strong Ale's throughout the year.
4. Favorites:
Bells: Hopslam, Two Hearted, Oberon, Amber, some of the stouts.
Founders: so far, Breakfast Stout
Stone: RIS, Ruination, IPA, Smoked Porter, Arrogant Bastard
Rogue: The Stouts, DeadGuy
Some odds and ends Great Divide, NorthCoast, Great Lakes
There's a few more brands I'd like to try.
IMHO, Many beers of one variety are both good and different and worthy of drinking. For example Stone Ruination, Dogfish Head 90 minute, and Bell's Hopslam are all great DIPA's.

Thanks, it's pretty cool that some guys here know thier beers like many people know their wines.

Interestingly enough, I sit next to a guy from Ireland at work (work visa) who swears the most preferred beer in Ireland is Budweiser (regular). He says that is all he drinks when he goes back home.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Sampling the hopslam right now, warmed up with a Guiness ES. I can say it is more complex and flavorful than the Two-hearted Ale, the fruit of the hops really comes through. More full than an SNPA. I really like it. It was $16.49 for a single sixpack though. The store had one more left after this one.

See the funny thing is JP is laughing his ass off at that price and how bitter this stuff is. I love it though. I am an IPA guy, bitter=better to me and this stuff is as Gary described. An utterly perfect ale.

I also have some Mich Ultra for my Toledo friends should they drop by, lol.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
It was $16.49 for a single sixpack though.

$42 for the case and 14.99 per 6 pack at Merchant's Warehouse

Agreed, JP prolly thinks we're all goofy but that's ok, he lives in Ohio! J/K JP:p

Last edited:

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
For those that love the taste of Hopslam...

Since it is a limited production, the supply will soon dry up. But there is some hope. I sampled some Three Floyds Dreadnaught IPA tonight. Very similar hoppy, citrusy flavor.

Unfortunately, you can't get it in Michigan. But it is available in Ohio.

Users who are viewing this thread