Hopping on the correction train soon

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
When I was cleaning my car yesterday and today I got pissed at the amount of swirls that it has. Being black, everything just shows even more.

Here is a bad Note 3 pic of it yesterday:

So the products I will be using are these:

Porter Cable 7424 XP
Meg 105 / 7.5" (ORANGE SELF CENTER PAD)-Cutting Pad
Meg 205 / 7.5" (RED SELF CENTER PAD)-Finishing Pad
Meg 205 / 7.5" (WHITE SELF CENTER PAD)-Polishing Pad
Would this be good to buy? It comes with everything http://www.chemicalguys.com/Porter_Cable_Dual_Action_Random_Orbit_Polisher_p/buf_201.htm
Jet Seal 109 / what pad should I use for this?
Pete's 53 / which applicator?

I am going to do the compounds and the sealant in one day, hopefully, then let it sit for 24 hours, then apply the Pete's 53 by hand. Another thing, I don't really have any good washing supplies so I usually just go to the car wash and spray it off, soap, rinse, soap and then rinse again. Then I will drive around and get most of the water off then use my quick detailer to dry it off.

What are your guys' opinions on that? Or should I go ahead and order a lambswool mit, two buckets, grit guard, and some quality soap to use?

Thanks all, I'm ready to get my car to looking as good as it needs to be.

Last edited:

LDC2335

Established Member
I'm no pro, I just did my first one as well. It sounds like your wash method is your scratch swirl maker. If you're using the brush at the car wash then definitely. Otherwise you're probably still making swirls with the driving home and then quick detail.

For the jet seal, I would apply by hand. Or, I bought a chemical guys pink pad that is super soft and made for applying wax/sealant.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android.

SNmustang95

Established Member
Microfibers, microfibers, microfibers. No, QUALITY microfibers. I can't emphasize that enough. It sounds like your wash AND drying process are causing your swirling and hazing. 2 reasons, improper equipment, and technique (which is EXTREMELY okay do not worry about it it's a learning curve).

Microfibers are good to pick up from autoality, or chemical guys website, dedicated wash buckets are a good thing to have as well, but you could do that from home depot to save some money, there's no reason to dish out high prices on those. Another thing is, the metrovac sidekick, seriously, incredible, you can't dry an entire car, but it will save you from getting water spots.

Another thing, make sure the soap you are using is PH balanced, reason being is because if it's not it will burn into the paint or etch your windows. (this is also where a quality microfiber drying towel comes into play)

As for the correction process, it looks good, it also depends on your end results. Seeing as though your an amateur, that may be your best combo to use (polish wise) because it's going to be a little more...forgiving. Where as compounding will haze the paint, and if not polished properly, will show horrible swirls and buffer trails.

Personally, use Megs microfiber pads, you'll get way better results, especially with the cobras clear. I've found the MF pads, to be a very easy to use process rather than foam pads, but everyone has their personal preference.

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
Red pads are usually for wax/sealant not finishing (in my experience). Grey/black are usually for finishing glazes. You may want to double check your pads. You have the white and orange right. Unless your swirls are downright terrible, I think you are adding an extra unnecessary step, the white. Orange is more of an all-around pad and should get the job done (yellow is the cutting pad actually) with a quality swirl remover. Move to the grey/black for finishing polish/glaze and then to your red for sealant. I like to hand wax the final stage as wax is so easy to apply and I prefer the more complete coverage of hand waxing.

I normally don't recommend any OTC products but the Turtle Wax Ice car wash and Mother's Cali Gold are both very good.

You will love the 7424, excellent starter product! Since it's a tad slower than say a Flex or Rupes, the most important thing is go slow and take your time. Autogeek.net has a really good video showing the proper techniques for using the PC, I recommend watching it to learn the back forth/up down technique. It paid off on my first effort big time. Patience is the key.

I'm in W KY...if you are close you are always welcome to drop by and talk cars!

Last edited:

hoamskilet

Established Member
Getting good wash supplies is a no brainer. You're just going to end up right back where you are now if you don't

POPPAJ

Established Member
Dude, 7.5" pads are way too big for a PC. Get 5.5" flat pads and the correct backing plate for them. You may also want to try Optimum for polishes and sealants. Chemical Guys have some good products, but it's hard to cut through all the hype. Entertaining though.:-D

Last edited:

hoamskilet

Established Member
I missed the 7.5" pads. Completely agree on going smaller. Also if you stick with M105, make sure you do some research. While incredibly effective, it can me a little more tricky to use than other products. Works great with MF pads

Last edited:

SON1C

Established Member
do you already have a pc? don't buy a pc..

buy the harbor freight da if you want a PC, same thing for 50 bucks

Or buy the best bang for buck buffer in my opinion which is the relabel of griots garage 6"

there are many better options than jetseal, blackfire paint sealant is a much better option than jetseal, hd poxy is getting raving reviews and of course SON1C Wax waxes are always viable ;)

use flat foam pads or microfiber pads

mainly megs MF or buff n shine 5" pads, for your paint orange and green should do the trick orange compound green polishing and perhaps blue for some further refinement

hd cut is nice, v32 is okay, megs d300 wolfgang uber then for polish m205 and if you want to refine further menz sf4500

RC-5.0

Established Member
I use the PC with the large pads all the time and they do just fine. However, my car is newer with silver paint..not black paint. I have kept up with it since day one so I have very little to no swirl marks.

My Advice is IF you already have those supplies, go ahead and try them. If you still have yet to purchase, go with Sonic's recommendations. He knows is stuff. I like a lot of stuff by Adams, but I REALLy like their double soft MF towels and waffle drying towel, which I use after getting most of the water off with the leaf blower.

RC

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
I'm no pro, I just did my first one as well. It sounds like your wash method is your scratch swirl maker. If you're using the brush at the car wash then definitely. Otherwise you're probably still making swirls with the driving home and then quick detail.

For the jet seal, I would apply by hand. Or, I bought a chemical guys pink pad that is super soft and made for applying wax/sealant.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android.

I would never have a brush from a car wash touch my car. I use the soap from the gun.

Microfibers, microfibers, microfibers. No, QUALITY microfibers. I can't emphasize that enough. It sounds like your wash AND drying process are causing your swirling and hazing. 2 reasons, improper equipment, and technique (which is EXTREMELY okay do not worry about it it's a learning curve).

Microfibers are good to pick up from autoality, or chemical guys website, dedicated wash buckets are a good thing to have as well, but you could do that from home depot to save some money, there's no reason to dish out high prices on those. Another thing is, the metrovac sidekick, seriously, incredible, you can't dry an entire car, but it will save you from getting water spots.

Another thing, make sure the soap you are using is PH balanced, reason being is because if it's not it will burn into the paint or etch your windows. (this is also where a quality microfiber drying towel comes into play)

As for the correction process, it looks good, it also depends on your end results. Seeing as though your an amateur, that may be your best combo to use (polish wise) because it's going to be a little more...forgiving. Where as compounding will haze the paint, and if not polished properly, will show horrible swirls and buffer trails.

Personally, use Megs microfiber pads, you'll get way better results, especially with the cobras clear. I've found the MF pads, to be a very easy to use process rather than foam pads, but everyone has their personal preference.

Oh hai Konner

Drew, this is Treyson I'll probably send you a text this weekend about this.

But for the 7.5 pads I just said that because that is what was included in the package deal like I linked.

Last edited:

SNmustang95

Established Member
I would never have a brush from a car wash touch my car. I use the soap from the gun.

Oh hai Konner

Drew, this is Treyson I'll probably send you a text this weekend about this.

But for the 7.5 pads I just said that because that is what was included in the package deal like I linked.

Oh hey man. Didn't know this was you. Learn something new every day.

SNmustang95

Established Member

Or buy the best bang for buck buffer in my opinion which is the relabel of griots garage 6"

there are many better options than jetseal, blackfire paint sealant is a much better option than jetseal, hd poxy is getting raving reviews and of course SON1C Wax waxes are always viable ;)

mainly megs MF or buff n shine 5" pads, for your paint orange and green should do the trick orange compound green polishing and perhaps blue for some further refinement

hd cut is nice, v32 is okay, megs d300 wolfgang uber then for polish m205 and if you want to refine further menz sf4500

SPNS is another option. I don't see much talk about it here but it's a fantastic product. BSD is another good one, especially for being just a QD.

Adower

Established Member

Jeatseal is really good stuff. There is a guy over on autogeek that did a test with like 32 sealers on a big RV. Jetseal actually finished in the top 10 I believe in longevity.

deremer71

Established Member
Step 1: Go to YouTube
Step 2: Type in Junkman
Step 3: Watch all his detailing videos
This is how I started since every thread I have read on this subject suggested him. But I'm glad I did because that man knows his **it. He has taught me a lot and I'm sure I'm not the only one by far. But good luck, its very time consuming but WELL worth it in the end

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member

I would want to see proof it's the same. Most of Harbor Freight products are built cheaply thus the price. A PC is what $130 shipped? You get what you pay for and in this case saving $50 or so is not worth it. That PC will last for many years whereas the HF uhhh.

Have you torn apart a HF and it said Porter Cable inside? There is a reason it's $50 and I have to disagree it's the same as a PC. I have been wrong before though.

Last edited:

RC-5.0

Established Member
I would want to see proof it's the same. Most of Harbor Freight products are built cheaply thus the price. A PC is what $130 shipped? You get what you pay for and in this case saving $50 or so is not worth it. That PC will last for many years whereas the HF uhhh.

Have you torn apart a HF and it said Porter Cable inside? There is a reason it's $50 and I have to disagree it's the same as a PC. I have been wrong before though.

LOL...why did you edit you original post? I liked it better:shrug::banana:

Yeah, I would def. NOT buy a Harb. Fr. unit to save money..But having said that, I would want to try the Griot's if I were starting over, but Ive been using the PC for over a year now and like it a lot.

RC

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
LOL...why did you edit you original post? I liked it better:shrug::banana:

Yeah, I would def. NOT buy a Harb. Fr. unit to save money..But having said that, I would want to try the Griot's if I were starting over, but Ive been using the PC for over a year now and like it a lot.

RC

Lol I didn't want it to be taken wrong and it probably would have been. No reason to rub anyone wrong if you can avoid it. For the record I use a Flex but started with a PC.

Last edited:

AWDLS2

Established Member
I'd do what Sonic said, 7.5" pad is way too big for a PC they are a severely underpowered machine let alone with a 7.5" pad. I'd get a griots, HD polisher, etc these have much more power than a PC. Then use 5.5" MF pads for cutting and 5.5" foam pads for polishing/finishing.

If your willing to spend the money a Rupes 21 rapes all DA polishers, I absolutely love mine

JZNYCRealEstate

Established Member
The reviews on that Harbor Freight polisher are actually quite astounding. I do wonder however about the ease of switch out backing plates on that product and how easy it is to find other backing plates that fit so you can use systems like the Meguiars Microfiber Correction System with a 5" plate instead of a 6". They do offer a 6" kit, naturally, I'm just wondering about this unit. Might have to pick one up after having read all those reviews.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-v...olisher-69924.html#pr-header-back-to-top-link

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
The reviews on that Harbor Freight polisher are actually quite astounding. I do wonder however about the ease of switch out backing plates on that product and how easy it is to find other backing plates that fit so you can use systems like the Meguiars Microfiber Correction System with a 5" plate instead of a 6". They do offer a 6" kit, naturally, I'm just wondering about this unit. Might have to pick one up after having read all those reviews.

6 in. Variable Speed Dual Action Polisher

Hell fire, it's actually $65 but I see those 20% off coupons you can use on it all the time. There is a reason it's $50 I'm telling you :)

If your willing to spend the money a Rupes 21 rapes all DA polishers, I absolutely love mine

That's personal opinion only. It's damn good yes but "rapes" the rest?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread