Hood Vent Mod

big dad

Established Member
Here's my hood vent mod that I just finished, I thought about this 2 years ago but other things had priority.

Anyway, it took about 2 weeks and there was some trial and error, especially with the fitment, in fact I almost gave up on it, but I took a break and pressed on. It was labor intensive, but I think it turned out pretty good and I didn't have to modify the hood openings.

DSCF0261.jpg

DSCF0262.jpg

DSCF0264.jpg

DSCF0265.jpg

DSCF0266.jpg

DSCF0267.jpg

DSCF0268.jpg

DSCF0269.jpg

DSCF0270.jpg

DSCF0271.jpg

DSCF0272.jpg

big dad

Established Member
It's pretty sturdy for the application, in fact it gives the frame a lot of rigidity if it's used properly.

My first attempt at this wasn't very successful as I noted because I wasn't using it properly. Once I took a break from it and gave some more thought I got on the right track. The screen is 1/4 squares and galvanized for rust prevention although it could be painted.

Once I removed the original ribs the frame loses it sturdiness and can distort quite a bit thus fitment issues. I wanted it to snap in place so it wouldn't come off while driving. Believe me, it's in very tight but can be removed.

I'd like to add that originally I painted it semi-gloss black but changed it to flat black which comes closer to the stock vents in appearance.

Last edited:

big dad

Established Member
Where did you get that plastic border piece for the underside of the vent?

That's actually a strip that runs along the edge of a running board on a conversion van. It has a metal core so it can be bent and pinched in place. I got mine (about 6 feet), from a guy who worked at an RV store that I new.

I bet you could get some at a bone yard if you tried.

Users who are viewing this thread