Hood vent mod "trim"

boostin'03

Established Member
I am looking for someone that has some left over trim that goes around the holes cut for the vent mod. Please let me know, i can do paypal or what ever you want. Thanks :beer:

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
Takes between around 6 feet. (Hunter is right...) Looks good. Do a search on 'hood blanket'. I don't think there is any hard data on benefit, but when you look at a modded hood it seems to make sense.
JW

Last edited:

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
Originally posted by jordanvraptor
What is this trim called and where do I get it?
It is called "Flextrim". You can buy it at www.westmarine.com . That's where I bought mine. It comes in Black or White, also different sizes (opening width). 25 feet to a roll. Or, you can call them at 800-boating. I still have 6' 3" left in my roll. I sold the rest, but decided to keep the remainder in case I ever buy a new hood liner and for some reason need more to do the mod again.

mosconiac

Established Member
I just took my hood blanket completely off, so my trim was never used.

If anyone wants it, just PM me. I think it was 10' for $10.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Hey hunter, did you have to use any type of glue to keep the flex trim on? I just can't get the trim I used to stay put on some of the corners.

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
Hey hunter, did you have to use any type of glue to keep the flex trim on? I just can't get the trim I used to stay put on some of the corners.
No, glue at all. I just used a pair of pliers to "crimp" the Flextrim. I actually crimped (sp.?) the entire piece of Flextrim around the entire opening so that it looked uniform. Mine has been on for about 3000 miles with no problems at all. Hope this helps.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
I cut mine, but decided to try something different. Since mine had not gotten wet, the cut edge was flat, so I used a small bead of clear silicone and simply worked it into the fiber and formed a slight "bead" on the outside. It should keep water out, and looks pretty close to the way it did before I cut it.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Originally posted by sid297
Does [hood vent mod] really work?

Water gets under the insulator, cutouts or otherwise. Appears that the only benefit is for providing outlets for the dissipation of heat.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by ox03
Water gets under the insulator, cutouts or otherwise. Appears that the only benefit is for providing outlets for the dissipation of heat.

I wonder how much heat they actually dissipate, and if it would be better to seal them off, rather than have water leaking in?

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
it really won't make a difference you can feel but I wouldn't seal them off, the water is not going to hurt anything. But its pretty cool when I am sitting at a traffic light and I can see the heat waves flowing out of the scoops.

Goldy

Established Member
What size did you order? I've seen it is available in:

5/32" opening x 35/64"H
1/4" opening x 1/2"H
3/8" opening x 5/8"H
1/2" opening x 19/32"H

Thx.

Howard

Users who are viewing this thread