Hood shocks? MMD, Redline, MRT

01bluesnake

Established Member
**I decided to go with the Redline Elite's, pic posted at post #26**

lately i've been looking to get rid of the prop. I did a quick search and found a thread on the MMD, but didnt give much feedback on them. I personally like the MMD or MRT cause it looks to be out of the way unlike the Redline while trying to work on the car, but can leave that option open for info.

I'm wondering who has these and why you like the one you have?

Has anyone had issues with the shocks themselves not holding very well allowing the hood to come down?

Has anyone installed these with a aftermarket hood?

:beer:

Last edited:

01bluesnake

Established Member
Lol, thanks. Anyone have experience with Redline struts and aftermarket hoods, more specifically Cervini's? Definitely looking at getting one in the future, just curious about the setup for the aftermarket hood kit and the mounting. They say it could be a bolt in type, or rivet type install.

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
Lol, thanks. Anyone have experience with Redline struts and aftermarket hoods, more specifically Cervini's? Definitely looking at getting one in the future, just curious about the setup for the aftermarket hood kit and the mounting. They say it could be a bolt in type, or rivet type install.

You need to be careful with aftermarket hoods, especially if they are significantly lighter and more flimsy than stock. You hood will either FLY open or flex a lot when trying to close. I'd contact the manufacturer and ask them about use with the hood your looking at.

scotmach

Established Member
Redline here as well. One strut was able to hold up my stock hood before I got to the other side. Ten minute install at best with the bolt on type.

hand-filer

Established Member
Redline all the way. As far as the other systems go, just look at the design. Little high force struts mounted way back there. Not a very good design as far I'm concerned. The Redline system looks like oem and works like oem.

Sent from my iPad

KtownStang

Established Member
I used the Shelby no drill struts, which are the same basic design as all of the bolt-on style set ups. When I got my new Cervini's hood they wouldnt hold it up. The bolt on struts suffer from bad angles if the hood has weight to it. They did hold the stock hood good.

I switched to Redline rivet style & wouldnt go back for anything. They are just higher quality, better operating, & the angle just works better. They offer stronger version for the aftermarket hoods as well.

alex12gt

Established Member
I used the Shelby no drill struts, which are the same basic design as all of the bolt-on style set ups. When I got my new Cervini's hood they wouldnt hold it up. The bolt on struts suffer from bad angles if the hood has weight to it. They did hold the stock hood good.

I switched to Redline rivet style & wouldnt go back for anything. They are just higher quality, better operating, & the angle just works better. They offer stronger version for the aftermarket hoods as well.

good to know i knew id prolly need a stronger set for my cervinis hood and i broke my last set from am taking them off

RedfireV8

Established Member
Just installed the new bolt in hood struts
A few pics of the Redline no drill struts

Love mine! A lot easier then the previous design. Feels more firm too. :lol1::pepper:

2vw76mc.jpg

turka

not ᶠᶸᶜᵏᴵᴺᴳ bagged
Established Member
MRT here. Very straightforward install but you will need to move the stupid air tube going from the intake to the firewall out of the way.
You can see it in this pic (bottom, where the bolt looks loose) I just unbolted it then pushed it down and stuck the bolt back in it to keep it there:
428689_10150611090815944_508420943_11409489_89952969_n.jpg

Close-up pics of each side:
427992_10150611110565944_508420943_11409572_389398717_n.jpg

397069_10150611111825944_508420943_11409574_1527505825_n.jpg

One of my first mods and for under $25 shipped

01bluesnake

Established Member
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I finally placed an order for some redline elite's today. I'll have pics up shortly. Kind of funny how I put them as last option, but now have them :beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread