Hood Mod

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
Does anyone have any extra tape for the hood mad. I really don't want to buy 30 ft of the stuff and only use 6 ft..

Thanks..

Eric

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
Originally posted by 04-MystiChrome
The tape does NOT work-Other threads will bear me out.
Use Paint or Flextrim around the edges. Tape will not hold.

What he said, trust us on this. I had to redo mine for this same reason. Just find the flex-trim. I got mine at a boat supply shop. Works great.

JymBart

Established Member
Taco Universal Flex Trim

This product is sold in many different thickness. Is the 1/4 " the one to use?

JymBart

redline

Established Member
i used insulation tape called ap/armaflex web site is armacell.com . the first time i used it it didnt stick so well so i tore it off and recut it and this time i used a blow dryer right after i put it on and no problems at all.:bowdown:

03CobraCCC

Wheaton Warbird!
Established Member
just ditch the whole thing....no biggie....saw a loss on the temp gauge....no paint wear at all....and its nice to get proper ventilation in there.

04-MystiChrome

One Fast Grand-PaPi
Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraCCC
just ditch the whole thing....no biggie....saw a loss on the temp gauge....no paint wear at all....and its nice to get proper ventilation in there.

My understanding is that the black cars have nice paint
under the blanket. I might have left mine off, but when I
saw that they " Ford Cheaped" the paint on the Mystic
under the blanket and the tape was still on sprayed like
crap as well, I just did the regular mod.

3GROC

Established Member
I for one done care if it aint painted under the blanket under my hood

now what do you do? just pull it off so tha the heat extractors are really working? now what if you have a pulley and the belt snaps and you have no pulley cover....can that damage the hood?

Secesh

Established Member
Originally posted by 3GROC
I for one done care if it aint painted under the blanket under my hood

now what do you do? just pull it off so tha the heat extractors are really working? now what if you have a pulley and the belt snaps and you have no pulley cover....can that damage the hood?

I've seen one picture of a blanket torn to shreds by a broken belt. I guess it helps protect the hood, although I don't know how much.

I'm thinking about leaving the blanket off my car. The hood isn't painted, but I'll live. My biggest concern is the comments people have made about paint fading. Not sure if it's under the hood or on top.

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
I like the blanket... So it stays.. Posban has not had an issue with the tape and I think it looks really clean. I have not seen any pics of people using the trim-loc so I can 't say anything about that.. Post some pics of the trim-loc stuff on the car.. The only stuff I have seen would not be wide enough..

Eric

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
Originally posted by SVTCobra2001
I like the blanket... So it stays.. Posban has not had an issue with the tape and I think it looks really clean. I have not seen any pics of people using the trim-loc so I can 't say anything about that.. Post some pics of the trim-loc stuff on the car.. The only stuff I have seen would not be wide enough..

Eric

After my rubatex tape peeled off I PM'd Postban & asked him about it. He told me his peeled off also. I had to re-trim my cutouts to get rid of the tape residue so none would be sticking out from under the flex-trim. I'll try to get a pic of it up soon.

Just a heads up.

Brad

Banned
Just pull the whole blanket off the car. I think it looks better without the thing. If you're one of the lucky guys like myself, SVT may have finished under the hood. Some are just primer under there, but a few of us have a nice clear coated finish. That being the case I think the hood looks awesome opened when the underside of the hood is all waxed up.

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
Does taking it off really help cool the car down. Did you actually notice a difference in the temp. guage?

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by Chonger
Does taking it off really help cool the car down. Did you actually notice a difference in the temp. guage?

It might help a little, but the stock gauge isn't going to tell you much. I just think it looks cooler with it off, I'm sure with the vents open you're cooling things down a bit, so atleast do that.

byevette

Momento Mori
Established Member
Originally posted by SVTCobra2001
Where did everyone get the flex-trim?

West Marine.

After doing the hood mod 15 months ago. I have no problems. The flex trim is just fine. When I was doing the install, I noticed the cheap quality on the underside and the leftover tape.

I decided that I am going to keep the blanket off all together, so I brought the car to the dealer and they are going to repaint it under warranty. So know I will have a nice finish under there for the upcoming car shows.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread