Hood Mod with Hood Shocks

SVT_SNK

C.C.P.D.
Established Member
I just had to post these pics, as I am real happy with the way the paint color matched Cobra Redfire SO WELL!!!:-D.

Since I had the Hood blanket off for the Hood Shock install, I decided to do the hood mod too. Whoever said to make a template in another thread....That was the best advice to follow. I made a cardboard template, then cut the hood blanket, reversing the template from right to left.

The spraypaint was a BITCH!.... I painted and painted....it absorbed and absorbed. Finally I decided to try some primer. It worked, so I added a second primer coat. then I bought some rustoleum glossy enamel paint, which seemed to match the Redfire color. I sanded the primer with 2000 grit, very gently. I thing painted it three times with the Red color.

BTW, I masked off the letters by hand with masking tape. It took two hours of cutting curves in the tape, but I think the results are well worth it.

What do you all think?

hood1.jpg

hood2.jpg

SVT_SNK

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice job! Even the Cobra letters look pretty good. :beer:

Did you do the Steeda mod yet? If not and you're not familiar with the rubbing issue, check to see if the black bracket plate closest to the MAF is rubbing your A/C line. They tend to be very close and will rub when the engine torques.

Intimidator

El Spanko!
Established Member
Nice.

If you can, let me know what you needed to do the Hood Shock mod. I've been thinking of doing that mod myself. Is it a pain in the butt to close the hood with that mod by the way? Because on mine I have to slam the damn thing in order for it to close.

Thanks
D

hardhit99

Established Member
Originally posted by Intimidator
Nice.

If you can, let me know what you needed to do the Hood Shock mod. I've been thinking of doing that mod myself. Is it a pain in the butt to close the hood with that mod by the way? Because on mine I have to slam the damn thing in order for it to close.

Thanks
D

You mean a hood shock kit? Check out www.redlinetuning.com They sell their kits on ebay for about $10 less than they sell them on the site.

hardhit99

Established Member
Originally posted by SVT_SNK
I just had to post these pics, as I am real happy with the way the paint color matched Cobra Redfire SO WELL!!!:-D.

Since I had the Hood blanket off for the Hood Shock install, I decided to do the hood mod too. Whoever said to make a template in another thread....That was the best advice to follow. I made a cardboard template, then cut the hood blanket, reversing the template from right to left.

The spraypaint was a BITCH!.... I painted and painted....it absorbed and absorbed. Finally I decided to try some primer. It worked, so I added a second primer coat. then I bought some rustoleum glossy enamel paint, which seemed to match the Redfire color. I sanded the primer with 2000 grit, very gently. I thing painted it three times with the Red color.

BTW, I masked off the letters by hand with masking tape. It took two hours of cutting curves in the tape, but I think the results are well worth it.

What do you all think?

SVT_SNK

Looks great! What did you use to seal up the area where you cut out the liner for the hood mod?

SVT_SNK

C.C.P.D.
Established Member
Re: Re: Hood Mod with Hood Shocks

Originally posted by hardhit99
Looks great! What did you use to seal up the area where you cut out the liner for the hood mod?

Someone else suggested using the metal tape that is used HVAC installs. I bought a roll of it. It was kinda wide so I used my dremel while it was still in a roll and zipped in in half. I am not too sure it will hold yet. I think I may replace it with the trim from a marine store. If I do, I plan to cut the corner bends so it gives it a more square look than rounded. I like hard lines.

SVT_SNK

SVT_SNK

C.C.P.D.
Established Member
Originally posted by Intimidator
Nice.

Thanks
D

I actually posted some up close pics of the Hood shocks in the sticky on this forum for group purchase of hood shocks.

The hood closes exactly as it did before for me. No binding, nice and snug. The group purchase shocks came with the needed hardware as well as the drill bits referenced in the directions. You will need to cut a small pilot hole in the fiberglass. I used a dremel and a round cylinder grinding wheel.

I think the riveted brakets are easier to install, but I think that over a long period of time they may fail due to fatigue around the fiberglass. It is only my opinion and I have no evidence to support that.

The pilot holes are already rounded out and plugged with a rubber stopper, it now looks factory again.

SVT_SNK

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Yea, I'm kind of iffy on the mounting setup on the redlinetuning kit where it mounts to the hood.

I'll post some pics of mine from IST this weekend. I just painted the hood brackets black.

Users who are viewing this thread