Hood mod - Variation

2003snake

Established Member
I did the hood mod the first time and used some type of aluminum stuff that looked horrible when I was finished and after a couple of weeks started peeling loose..... I was extremely disapointed so I went searching for something better...

Let me also say that the first time I cut the hole large enough for me to be able to close the flaps when I felt like it. I also realized that there really was no need to ever close the flaps since water still runs into the engine bay when they are closed! Therefore I decided to just cut them off and this time cut a smaller hole.

My challenges where as follows:

1. Find a material that looks good - factory finish or better.
2. Find a material that is extremely adhesive or will stay in place in a different manner.

I found what I needed, this stuff is awesome, not only is it bendable but it looks great and is crimped in place and will not move!!!! (don't have to worry about that adhesive)

so next I ordered a new hood blanket from Ford and here's some pics....

PS. I used 3 feet of this stuff per hole and have 19 feet left in case someone is interested!!

J

2003snake

Established Member
First the original attempt that failed.
Horrible :gt: :gt: :gt: :gt:

Last edited:

2003snake

Established Member
Originally posted by agbulit
what is the "stuff" and where did you get it? thanks!
:-D

It's some type of trim that's bendable, flexible and crimpable.

I got it at a boat supply store and was kinda surprised how expensive it was?!?!?

I'm willing to get rid off what I have for $2 per foot shipped (the smallest amount that you can purchase it in the store is 25 feet)

J/

venams03

Established Member
That looks like Trim Lok which is what I used and you're right. This is the way to go. Looks professional, stock and holds up.

THANKS to SKSTANG!!!

2003snake

Established Member
I just went an looked in the garage and the stuff that I have is called "Flex Trim".....

Awesome stuff.....wish I knew this before I tried the first time!

J.

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by 2003snake
This Pic shows the complete blanket - both holes.

What would the hood blanket look like if you used fabric paint ? and painted the word COBRA the same color as the car??

kom

Established Member
That looks like the stuff "skstang" found to do the hood mod. Check this thread http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17577

He bought a role of like 250'. Sold it to guys on the list for $10.00 for 10 feet shipped to your house. I got mine from him on Monday and did the mod on Wednesday. Worked great. He may still have more.

I found a little trick when trying to decide how big to cut the holes. The hood vents pop right out of the hood. Take the left vent, flip it over, place it on the foil side of the right side opening and use it as a pattern. Line it up with the factory straight cut line. You only have to draw freehand about 1/2" on each side to blend in the curves due to the irregular contour of the blanket.. Then use the right side vent as a pattern on the left side. Use a narrow razor blade like the kind used for wallpaper. Cut the blanket from the foil side, only scoring the foil with the first pass. Then multiple light passes with the blade will yield a very clean cut. It works great and the cut out size is perfect with just the right amount of space around the vent....

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

2003snake

Established Member
Make sure to staple the blanket where you cut it to compress it!

I also used fiberglass resin to harden the edges to make the install easier....

J

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Thanks for the links, kom....that site I found only had the smaller size

kom

Established Member
My edge was cut so clean that I did not need any additional prep after I cut it. There was no fraying at all. The trimlok went on perfectly and did not role the edge back when applied.

Users who are viewing this thread