hood graphic; re-paint it, don't, repaint fenders....what to do?

wht93gted

Established Member
From the info I could find on 98's, the graphics are from the GT sport package.

GT Sport Package
* 17" aluminum wheels, leather-wrapped shift knob, hood stripe, fender stripes, engine oil cooler.

I just picked up a Cervini's 3.5" cowl and can't decide what to do about the graphics. If I should have it re-painted onto the hood and how it'll look with the bigger cowl.

Should I just have the hood painted body color and leave the fender stripes? I know they aren't the standard fender stripes people put on, but I think they could work just being there alone.

Or should I re-paint the fenders along with the hood?

Here're a few pics for reference:
mustang1.jpg

mustang2.jpg

mustang3.jpg

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
So you're asking if:

A: You should just paint the hood solid and leave the fender stripes? No, that'll look like ass. You could take an eraser wheel and paint the hood body color and zip the stripes off the fenders and buff 'em back. But then you'd be stripeless

B: Paint the stripes onto the cowl hood and paint the fenders too.

If you take your car to a quality shop to replace the hood, they're going to want to blend the fenders anyway. Is your body color E9? The three stage red that Ford has? I wouldn't spray it without blending the fenders. It'd be one thing if the fenders turned straight down, but they have that 6-8 inch flat spot up top. Too much, need to blend, even if its not E9. It'll look better.

Also, I think the stripes tie your black Saleen wing in with the rest of the car. JMO

Last edited:

wht93gted

Established Member
So you're asking if:

A: You should just paint the hood solid and leave the fender stripes? No, that'll look like ass. You could take an eraser wheel and paint the hood body color and zip the stripes off the fenders and buff 'em back. But then you'd be stripeless

B: Paint the stripes onto the cowl hood and paint the fenders too.

If you take your car to a quality shop to replace the hood, they're going to want to blend the fenders anyway. Is your body color E9? The three stage red that Ford has? I wouldn't spray it without blending the fenders. It'd be one thing if the fenders turned straight down, but they have that 6-8 inch flat spot up top. Too much, need to blend, even if its not E9. It'll look better.

Also, I think the stripes tie your black Saleen wing in with the rest of the car. JMO

Yeah its the factory laser red/E9 color. The entire front end was re-painted prior to me owning it and, I dunno why, maybe they couldn't get the same decals, but the graphic was painted on and its under the clear.

Yeah the Saleen wing was painted black because the stripes were there first and it was done to tie it all together. I also felt the wing would be kind of "orphaned" if I removed the stripes.

I guess I was kind of worried about how the graphic would look on a 3.5" cowl. If it would look weird or not.

I was also tossing around painting just the sides of the cowl and pulling it down into the fenders...I need to play around with PS, or if any PS experts want to weigh in.

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
that sounds like a great idea if it was an option :bash:

OP I'd say put the stripes on the cowl, but what has already been said, you are going to have to blend.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
that sounds like a great idea if it was an option :bash:

OP I'd say put the stripes on the cowl, but what has already been said, you are going to have to blend.

why not>?:shrug:

he could do sn-97 cobra for not much more.....I'd be selling the HD truck I have and buying another one if i wasn't trying to buy a house right now....:beer:

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Have you looked at the cowl Hood that retains the factory scoops? That may suit you better. But I don't think the stripes would look bad. I painted a dudes cowl Hood; it was a six inch cowl but I painted the cowl itself black and the outside edges white. It looked fine. That may be a better option to paint the entire cowl black and not just a skinny stripe.

E9 fades pretty bad I'd definitely blend. There is also a 2 stage formula that you can use and they may have used that.
Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

wht93gted

Established Member
OP reason for the new cowl or is it a appearance thing?

I've got a vortech v1 strim with powerpipe and the pipe hits the hood. So on the passenger side the hood sits up about a 1/4". I've talked to a few other people and seen similar issues. I suppose that's why the stock vortech intake pipe is kind of oval in shape.

Yeah and I have no idea what they painted it with previously but I know the entire front was redone and blended into the doors.

It seems like the consensus from most people is to just reprint the graphic. Looks like I'm going to have to speak with a painter and get some prices.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
I have a custom power pipe and they just notched the bracing under my Hood. Fits fine no biggie. Just put some grease in the pipe and close the hoods and see where you need to notch.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've got a vortech v1 strim with powerpipe and the pipe hits the hood. So on the passenger side the hood sits up about a 1/4". I've talked to a few other people and seen similar issues. I suppose that's why the stock vortech intake pipe is kind of oval in shape.

Yeah and I have no idea what they painted it with previously but I know the entire front was redone and blended into the doors.

It seems like the consensus from most people is to just reprint the graphic. Looks like I'm going to have to speak with a painter and get some prices.
That's what I would do. I like what you did with the hood you have, and I think doing the same on the cowl hood will be just as nice. Post a before and after photo when the work is completed.

Sneaky01Snake

Established Member
I like your car, looks good. The graphics tie to the black wing and rims, so it doesnt look like an after thought. To me, removing the strips would give the opposite impression

wht93gted

Established Member
I have a custom power pipe and they just notched the bracing under my Hood. Fits fine no biggie. Just put some grease in the pipe and close the hoods and see where you need to notch.

The power pipe was already modified so it's not as bad, but still there. I already have the new hood sitting in my garage; I got a killer deal from the Cervini's truck @ the e-town swap meet.

It seems like the "keep the graphics" have it, so time to find a painter.

Thanks guys for the input; I was wracking my brain trying to figure out which direction to go.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Cool! I think you'll be okay with the stripe. Can't wait to see it!

RedFord96

Established Member
The power pipe was already modified so it's not as bad, but still there. I already have the new hood sitting in my garage; I got a killer deal from the Cervini's truck @ the e-town swap meet.

It seems like the "keep the graphics" have it, so time to find a painter.

Thanks guys for the input; I was wracking my brain trying to figure out which direction to go.

Good choice. That's a clean GT you got there, best color too.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Why not vinyl the graphic on the hood to see how it looks first? Might be 50$ well spent if you dont like the look and then just de-stripe the fenders.

wht93gted

Established Member
Finally made a decision, I think. The car is going in to be painted in a week or so; I'm just waiting for a little insurance thing to clear up first.

I talked with the painter and told him to re-do the graphic on the new cowl. He pretty much said I was screwed if I didn't want to keep it, and screwed if I did (regarding price).

Since it's painted, not vinyl, if I didn't want it he'd have to sand/media blast the entire fenders then re-paint and blend into doors & a-pillar. Oh the front bumper is being replace too; forgot to mention that. So I'd essentially have the entire front end re-painted.

If I kept the graphic, he would only have to blend into the tops of the fenders and not repaint them all the way or blend into doors. But painting the graphic itself would add time & money. So I'm keeping it.

I'll post up pics when it's done. I'm also having to get the rear bumper re-painted because of that previously mentioned insurance thing.

I'm a little nervous about my car looking like a patch-work of colors. But it's been garaged almost since new so it shouldn't be too faded. We'll see...

oldmodman

Established Member
Sounds like that will be the way to go.

Don't forget to have the underside of the new hood painted and cleared too.
Maybe even have a stripe applied to the underside as long as it is getting painted. See if it looks good by just taping on a piece of black paper first. I've never seen the stripe carried under the hood but you might be starting a trend.

Users who are viewing this thread