HOOD FLUTTER

mdamron

Established Member
So I have real bad hood flutter above 80 mph, everything is solid, the hinges, the latch the bump stops, anyone know why the hood does this? Also I had alignment on the car and everything is perfect any help would be cool

PC03GT

Established Member
Check the plastic splash shield under the car, if anything is loose air will get in there and make the hood shake

noldevin

Established Member
This is almost always due to the splash tray underneath the car being loose or missing. Check that your splash tray and oil service cover are in place and secure.

basspro302

Established Member
My splash tray has been gone since I bought the car. My hood is rock solid even in triple digit speeds. Just saying

noldevin

Established Member
My splash tray has been gone since I bought the car. My hood is rock solid even in triple digit speeds. Just saying
You would be an unusual exception to the rule then. Hood flutter is almost always due to the air deflector on the bottom of the car.

basspro302

Established Member
Mine has been gone for awhile I would like to have it for radiator protection but now it's procharged now so I would have to buy it and cut it up.

I agree it obviously directs airflow and can cause that issue.

I would say that if the latch or striker is tight and the hood bumps are adjusted right the hood shouldn't move at 80mph.

I'm not trying to argue, I would start with the splash guard if everything else appears ok.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Hood flutter from removing splash shields underneath the car? What about all the other cars produced in the last 100 years WITHOUT them?

noldevin

Established Member
Hood flutter from removing splash shields underneath the car? What about all the other cars produced in the last 100 years WITHOUT them?
They used other methods to prevent pressure buildup under the hood. The mustang isn't exactly an engineering marvel as far as aerodynamics go. The undertray is Ford's solution in this case, and if you remove it, pressure builds up and the hood flutters.

PC03GT

Established Member
The problem comes in when it is broken. Air gets trapped in there and the hood bounces all around. If it's completely removed you probably wouldn't feel shit....

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
I hit a pretty big body of water (roads flooded badly) several months ago on a 1000 mile round trip and didn't notice anything when I got out to check the car out but eventually noticed my hood fluttering bad at 70mph and up. And I heard about the deflector so I got under the car and saw it was completely ripped in two. I finally just removed it a couple days ago and now 120mph+ pulls and no more hood fluttering.

Users who are viewing this thread