Hood Corrosion Fix

ricardoa1

Established Member
Ford is going to fix my corrosion for the second time, first time no charge under warranty, now out of the 3/36 they will pay for some of the cost and the dealership that fixed it the first time will use some of their good will funds. I service my car there and bought a Fusion from them.

The question is, has anybody had the issue disappear by replacing the hood with a new Ford hood or will it inevitably happen on a replacement. There are also aftermarket aluminum collision parts, $600, does anybody think that new will simply be buying more time but it will inevitably happen again? Is there anybody that doesn't have this problem with a Ford hood or Collision aftermarket hood?

Galvanic reaction is said to be from the stamping procedure (press metals) and/or failure to insulate the outer aluminum sheet from the steel supporting frame from

Fiberglass is not an option I like the smoothness and straightness of stamped sheet metal, my car is black.

Bouttime09

Oh, it's not 5.0?
Established Member
Fiberglass can be prepped and look just as good.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

GHOST99

Established Member
I was 20 days outside my warranty when I went for my initial fix a few weeks ago. Ford offered to pay half to get it fixed. I decided to wait and see if it pops thru and let my rust and corrosion warranty fix it. I didnt want to pay and have it to come back even with them offering a 2 year warranty on the fix. I did a lot of searching and some have issues with it coming back and some dont. I am really thinking about a Cobra R hood from Cervini. I had second thoughts too about a fiberglass hood til I saw this. Look at the black pic

http://www.stangmods.com/Cervinis-Cobra-R-Hood-13-14-Mustang-GT-V6-p/3881.htm

Bouttime09

Oh, it's not 5.0?
Established Member
I'll let you know how my stalker 2 turns out in a couple weeks. My car is black too.

ricardoa1

Established Member
Ghost that looks good but i want the original factor and the gt hood vents. I have a gt/cs and i have stripes too. The only hood i can see that uses the factory vents are the Mongoose style hood and the trufiber.

Sent from my SM-G920T using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
I was 20 days outside my warranty when I went for my initial fix a few weeks ago. Ford offered to pay half to get it fixed. I decided to wait and see if it pops thru and let my rust and corrosion warranty fix it. I didnt want to pay and have it to come back even with them offering a 2 year warranty on the fix. I did a lot of searching and some have issues with it coming back and some dont. I am really thinking about a Cobra R hood from Cervini. I had second thoughts too about a fiberglass hood til I saw this. Look at the black pic

http://www.stangmods.com/Cervinis-Cobra-R-Hood-13-14-Mustang-GT-V6-p/3881.htm

Careful, the 5 year corrosion warranty does not cover the hood. It only covers parts that develop a rust hole i.e. corroded steel body parts. My car started to corrode so I contacted my dealer, they said it wasn't covered and instructed me to call Ford customer service about the issue, so I did. CS also said it wasn't covered because there needs to be a hole. I informed them that an aluminum hood is not going to develop a hole like steel would since the two metals corrode differently and all they could say is "I understand what you're saying, but the warranty only covers the part if it corrodes all the way through and develops a hole". It was very frustrating trying to explain aluminum vs steel corrosion but the reps can't really do anything so I wasn't going to get too far into it with them. However, I'm going to try a different dealer and if they decline, I will have to get a quote at a local shop.

The issue is the prep of the aluminum from the factory and/or the type of primer used. If the hood is completely stripped, cleaned and prepped properly, that should solve the issue with the factory aluminum hood.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hope another dealer will take care of you. At least if you with a local shop, you know how the aluminum hood should be prepped/prepared, so you can be sure the shop is on the same page.

ricardoa1

Established Member
Here is the Mongoose hood but I feel its too busy, and again not sure about surface quality.

ford-mustang-supercharger-mongoose-hood-gt-v6-2013-2014-13.jpg

Here is the TrueFiber,
Ford-Mustang-Convertible-2-640x394.jpg

Problem is my car visuals are stock GT/CS and getting scoops on hoods make it too busy. But these are the only two hoods that have the original size GT extractors. There is company selling stock fiberglass ones on ebay but they want close to 1000 and who knows about the quality of the surface. Prepping a fiberglass hood to look like a sheetmetal is big dollars and tons of hours.

Bouttime09

Oh, it's not 5.0?
Established Member
Here is the Mongoose hood but I feel its too busy, and again not sure about surface quality.

ford-mustang-supercharger-mongoose-hood-gt-v6-2013-2014-13.jpg

Here is the TrueFiber,
Ford-Mustang-Convertible-2-640x394.jpg

Problem is my car visuals are stock GT/CS and getting scoops on hoods make it too busy. But these are the only two hoods that have the original size GT extractors. There is company selling stock fiberglass ones on ebay but they want close to 1000 and who knows about the quality of the surface. Prepping a fiberglass hood to look like a sheetmetal is big dollars and tons of hours.
Gotta start somewhere

Users who are viewing this thread