Homemade Splitters

tonemaker

Established Member
So you are still directing the increased aero load to the flexible plastic facia? Can you post some pics of where you are mounting the upper ends of the turn buckles? If you really want to transmit the downforce I think you should be directing the load to something that is unable to be deflected.

You're probably right there. But it was facia with backing plates or into the bumper cover itself and that is not reversible so if it didn't work or look right I would end up with eight screw holes in my bumper. This way I can take it off and no one's the wiser. There are about 20 screws in the bottom of the splitter so they will absorb most of the down-force. But it is a splitter and not necessarily a wing. The car itself should be generating the downforce and not the splitter which has a zero degree angle of attack. At least that's my thoughts... Besides,,,it looks cool, no?

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
If your not interested in making/selling these on a larger scale, im sure people would buy a template from you at a fair price.

I know I would. HINT HINT, lol.

Nice work BTW!!

-Nick

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
You're probably right there. But it was facia with backing plates or into the bumper cover itself and that is not reversible so if it didn't work or look right I would end up with eight screw holes in my bumper. This way I can take it off and no one's the wiser. There are about 20 screws in the bottom of the splitter so they will absorb most of the down-force. But it is a splitter and not necessarily a wing. The car itself should be generating the downforce and not the splitter which has a zero degree angle of attack. At least that's my thoughts... Besides,,,it looks cool, no?

Looks pretty good yes. But, if it doesn't function then anybody that tells a guy with a civic with a big wing on the trunk that he is a ricer but likes this is a hypocrite. If you like it and aren't concerned about function that's fine. Thumbs up for going out and making something that wasn't available to your liking.

A splitter still generates downforce even with a zero degree angle of attack. You get the downforce from the air flow being stopped by the front bumper and continuing to flow underneath the car along the splitter, i.e high pressure up top and low beneath the car.

The LS splitter comes with this uppper mount in this picture below. I'm not sure how it actually mounts but I'm sure it's attached to the crash structure or or bumper beam. Something that is solid which does not really deflect, unlike the plastic bumper and facia.

769_large_image.jpg

tonemaker

Established Member
Looks pretty good yes. But, if it doesn't function then anybody that tells a guy with a civic with a big wing on the trunk that he is a ricer but likes this is a hypocrite. If you like it and aren't concerned about function that's fine. Thumbs up for going out and making something that wasn't available to your liking.

A splitter still generates downforce even with a zero degree angle of attack. You get the downforce from the air flow being stopped by the front bumper and continuing to flow underneath the car along the splitter, i.e high pressure up top and low beneath the car.

The LS splitter comes with this uppper mount in this picture below. I'm not sure how it actually mounts but I'm sure it's attached to the crash structure or or bumper beam. Something that is solid which does not really deflect, unlike the plastic bumper and facia.

769_large_image.jpg

Well clearly the Ford engineers have something on me. But I just went out to the car and with my thumb pushed in on the bumper cover where the Ford splitter mounts and pressed on the facia where I mounted mine and the bumper was by far more flexible. Keep in mind that I put 1/8" thick aluminum backing plates behind the facia where the turnbuckles mount. But I'll agree that perhaps the Ford splitter is better. That doesn't change the fact that I still don't have the $800 to buy it.

On the other hand,,,, On the surface anyway, these guys seem to have done the same thing as me, but probably better.
09-heins-motorsports-mustang-boss-302rs%20SMALL.jpg

WC-Mustang-1.jpg

silver50

Established Member
thanks bud for the picks and info. I have been thinking about doing the same thing to my car the past few weeks. If you have any more info on the front splitter, it would really help because I think I might really do this in the next month or so. Looks awesome man :thumbsup:

silver50

Established Member
Is there a way you can pm the parts# for the rod ends and connector you used. I really like the look of this splitter and want to try making one for myself very soon. Thank you

tonemaker

Established Member
Is there a way you can pm the parts# for the rod ends and connector you used. I really like the look of this splitter and want to try making one for myself very soon. Thank you

Here are the parts I used and modified for the turnbuckles. I had to turn down the connecting rod because they turned out too long. So I would consider using the 4" long connector #8420K15. Also, I cut the threads on the rod ends some because they were also too long for my taste. I think I'm going to replace the connectors I have because I want them anodized red instead of the red paint I used.

1 4749T111 2 Each Male Shank Clevis Rod End, 5/16"-24 Right-hand Thread Size, 1/4" Id, 2-1/4"l
2 4749T112 2 Each Male Shank Clevis Rod End, 5/16"-24 Left-hand Thread Size, 1/4" Id, 2-1/4"l
3 92735A220 1 Pack Grooved Clevis Pin With Retaining Ring, 18-8 Ss, 1/4" Dia, 3/4" Length, 5/8" Usable L
4 8419K62 2 Each Easy-adjust Threaded Connecting Rod, 6" Overall Length, 5/16"-24 Threaded Female Ends

Then some screws to screw the splitter onto the facia bottom. I used #12 x 1/2" flat-head phillips stainless screws with nylon insert nuts inside the facia. The nylock nuts will not vibrate off. Use the flat-head screws from the bottom up, into the facia that way the splitter is completely flat on the bottom with no protrusions.

Users who are viewing this thread