Home Theatre Help

Andrew03Mach

Established Member
I have a Sony home theater system and it was working perfectly up until yesterday. Tuesday night I was watching TV with full sound coming from the receiver/speakers. I shut everything off as usual and last night I turned it back on and now have no sound despite everything powering on as usual. I tried using the FM tuner built into the receiver to see if it was just a tv issue and have no sound with the tuner either. I can't imagine what would of happened since nothing was moved, no buttons pushed, or wires undone between uses. Anything that I can look into for a possible fix? System was bought new 4 years ago, 1000 watt with a 3d blu ray player as the receiver.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I guess the logical first question would be is the sound in Mute mode. Probably not, but worth checking.

Andrew03Mach

Established Member
I checked that first and it was not the issue. It is frustrating since nothing would have changed from when I used it the day before when it worked...

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
As Bob said check the normal stuff, check the speaker inputs and make sure you didn't press the wrong speaker button. If that doesn't work, read the owner's manual and see if there are any internal fuses. Finally, check your outlet and see if it has a breaker on it. If it still doesn't work, it may be DOA (burnt power supply).

DrumGuru

Established Member
Were there any storms in your area last night? Maybe a power surge of some sort? The only thing I can think of other than what is mentianed above is a problem that I commonly have with my Sony home theater system. I have my devices running to the receiver with optical audio cables. From time to time these cables seem to just drop the audio for some unknown reason. It always seems to come back on withing a few seconds though. Never have had it stop working completely.

Andrew03Mach

Established Member
No storms or surges that I am aware of. The system still powers on as normal and appears to operate as before just minus the sound. When I get home from work I will look for the book and look for any troubleshooting tricks as well as check all the cables again.

oldmodman

Established Member
Since almost all audio equipment is computer chip based now it's fair to assume that it might be a software loading glitch.

Unplug every component from the wall. With it unplugged press the "Power" button on each piece of equipment. Release the button and then plug it all back in. Turn everything on one at a time.

I have had several different people with a problem identical to yours solve it by this method. And it is going to get worse in years to come.

If it doesn't do any good all you have invested is a little time.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Mine did the same thing the other day. Pulled power, rebooted everything and nothing worked.

I went to pull it off the shelf to check wiring, and the little feet had stuck to the glass. As soon as it "popped" off the glass the sound came back on. I just left it there and it was worked ever since. I'm guessing a relay or something was stuck.

My old Onkyo had HDMI switching issues, but pulling its power usually fixed it. It eventually completely died though.

bglf83

Established Member
I fixed my onkyo with hdmi issues a few years ago with 4 or 5 capacitors from radio shack, was like 5 bucks.

Lots of videos on YouTube for that one because it was really common.

Andrew03Mach

Established Member
I had never set up a network connection on the system before but I did last night and did a software update and everything is back up and running as it should be. Seems odd that it just quit out of nowhere running the old software but the update took care of it. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I was wondering if maybe in the process of doing a software update it crashed. But it sounds like no network connection had been established. Well, at least you resolved the issue.

01svtL

Established Member
It's fate telling you there is much better sound to be had than a Sony HT system. Time to move up.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I fixed my onkyo with hdmi issues a few years ago with 4 or 5 capacitors from radio shack, was like 5 bucks.

Lots of videos on YouTube for that one because it was really common.

I might look into that so it at least functions. But it gave me a chance to buy the Denon I wanted in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread