Home Security Cameras

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
Closing on the house in a couple of weeks and looking to put in some outdoor cameras to monitor the property.

Any particular brands, or sets that you guys recommend? Was looking at the ZModo set of 12 for $299 on Amazon....which seems like a smoking deal. Reviews claim that if you're savvy enough, you can hack into the wifi link and view the cameras, but I think the risk of that is really really low.

What kind of setups are you guys running and would you recommend them?

Appreciate it!

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Have an Arlo wireless system currently, video quality is great and no wires = minutes to get them setup. I paid $340 for the 3 camera set. I'm happy with it.

This wasn't my first choice which is the Samsung 8 camera system for $600, given I won't be holding onto this house long, wasn't motivated to run wires everywhere for a year or two.

Mountie

Established Member
I have both Arlo Pro and Zmodo POE. Both systems work well, but for ease of install I would recommend Arlo.

Ill_W1N

Established Member
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/swann-8...ce-system-white-black/4518113.p?skuId=4518113

There's a cheaper setup with only 4 camera's too. But I do recommend the 1080 option.

I bought these for my house. Great reviews and the install was easy. Also they have excellent customer service and answer right away when you call if you need help. I like the fact that I can store up to 120 something days of recorded video before it starts erasing itself. Also, you can set them to turn on my motion. Even if one motions and turns on, then they will all turn on. Or just have it set to record 24/7 like I do. The nightvision is pretty darn good too. I can see my work truck perfectly parked in the street at night. It has an app you can download too and check on all of your camera's whenever you want which is good and I'll use from time to time.

phillycobra99

Established Member
I love my Nest. Super easy install (just a power cable) and runs off of wifi. You can also talk through it, and it can send alerts when it detects motion and/or a person.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/swann-8...ce-system-white-black/4518113.p?skuId=4518113

There's a cheaper setup with only 4 camera's too. But I do recommend the 1080 option.

I bought these for my house. Great reviews and the install was easy. Also they have excellent customer service and answer right away when you call if you need help. I like the fact that I can store up to 120 something days of recorded video before it starts erasing itself. Also, you can set them to turn on my motion. Even if one motions and turns on, then they will all turn on. Or just have it set to record 24/7 like I do. The nightvision is pretty darn good too. I can see my work truck perfectly parked in the street at night. It has an app you can download too and check on all of your camera's whenever you want which is good and I'll use from time to time.

that is really cool, i'm gonna have to look into getting these things. i never knew they had gotten this sophisticated. i don't mind running cable in my house, but i do have wifi too.

gaspasr

Established Member
I bought some inexpensive wired analog cameras from Ezviz. They look pretty good. Although I have to admit that the motion sensor gets triggered at night by any bug flying close by. I will be investing in a nicer setup where you can adjust the sensitivity better.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
luxcctv, just put in an GEN3 8 channel HD DVR for my folks with 4 cameras. 1080P dome cameras. I chose analog/coax because its cheaper and easier to push thru insulation, down walls etc. Think the DVR was 399, cameras were 89 a piece. They also sell NVRs (network/poe recorder/poe cameras) The NVR is about 100 bucks more and the cameras around 260 each.

http://www.luxcctv.com/product-category/cctv-cameras/hd-tvi-cameras/hd-tvi-dome-cameras/

Intervention302

Established Member
I had my IT guy install this setup for me. There are more cameras, but don't want to give out the secret locations haha

2.5k/1440P/4MP cameras. Hikvision with a LCS Network Video Recorder with a 1TB HD.

Cost me $1000 installed. I can view anytime on my Cell and it stores footage for at least a month

Home cameras by Intervention302, on Flickr

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
For the interior and garage I have 5 1080p Dropcam Pro cameras that record to the cloud 24/7.
For the exterior I just purchased an 8-channel NVR with 2TB HDD, and 4 HD 4MP 1440P POE dome cameras.

nxhappy

Established Member
I've been thinking about that cheapy set up on ebay lol

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Does anybody know if it's possible to view these on a television, in real time?

Yes, if you have an NVR hooked up to TV via HDMI you can watch all cameras in real-time.
For my Dropcam Pro's, I have an Android TV box with the Dropcam app installed, and I can also watch those in real-time on TV screen.

Biff-Mach1

Established Member
I have the night owl. Has night vision, motion etc. The app and notification is free. If I would do it again I would get one that uses ethernet cable.

Users who are viewing this thread