holy Heat Exchanger brackets

nlterminator

Mello Yellow
Established Member
Noticed a little rust on my H/E brackets and pulled the bumper and hauled off the brackets tonight. What did ford paint these with? paint that rusts? My car has 25,000kms is a garage queen and these are starting to rust and rust bad! The rest of the car still has the paper tags and factory marks underneath.

Holding up the H/E after the brackets were off. They are empty so maybe thats why the job went a little slow LOL

004-9.jpg

Id hate so see what they look like on cars driven in the winter or even rain for that matter.

005-5.jpg

007-1.jpg

Even where the paint is fine, you sand it off and rust underneath. Im going to strip them down to bare metal.

010.jpg

Wondering if i should paint or powder coat.

Last edited:

greengt88

Established Member
I can't stand it when companies only make certain pieces of a system.....drives me bonkers. If ur gonna make headers why not make a catback? Ur gonna make a h/e...make a new bracket to mount it.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Mine were the same way when I bought my car with 12k miles, and was mainly a garage queen.:rollseyes I'm pretty sure that the steel brackets were already rusty prior to Ford painting them, as they had rust under the finish as you discovered. I sandblasted, primed, and painted mine silver to match my new H/E, and they came out awesome. My car never gets wet, so I will probably never have to touch them again, unless it's just to re-coat from sand pitting, and bugs.

Blk4V00GT

Established Member
I have my car up in the air and apart installing other powdercoated pieces and just noticed how aweful mine look. I wish I had time to get them powdercoated but it will have to wait.

I would recommend getting them media blasted and powdercoated and be done with them for good.

CscottsSS

got boost?
Established Member
Yeah, it would be awesome if someone made some fairly inexpensive aftermarket pre powdercoated brackets. I'm sure they would sell pretty well.

Users who are viewing this thread