holy crap if you don't have a 4lb pulley get it!!

46stang

Established Member
i ordered the lightning size pulley and belt from south florida pulley and WOW!! I ordered friday and it was at my door by noon on monday:) (Thanks Terry:) ) I got so anxious i had to install it after work today! the car pulls real hard! 1st gear even winds out real fast now! I'm not sure if I'm even going to get 410's now? It pulls that hard! it had to have added 40-50rwhp! best 200 bucks for a mod i have ever spent! I will try to get it dynoed this friday and post the results! the coolest thing is watching the boost guage get barried beyond the 10lb mark :beer:
Leon

92LX5.0

Established Member
no thanx, i dont feel like voiding my warranty or killing the motor too soon :beer:

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by 46stang
i ordered the lightning size pulley and belt from south florida pulley and WOW!! I ordered friday and it was at my door by noon on monday:) (Thanks Terry:) ) I got so anxious i had to install it after work today! the car pulls real hard! 1st gear even winds out real fast now! I'm not sure if I'm even going to get 410's now? It pulls that hard! it had to have added 40-50rwhp! best 200 bucks for a mod i have ever spent! I will try to get it dynoed this friday and post the results! the coolest thing is watching the boost guage get barried beyond the 10lb mark :beer:
Leon

My advice is GET A TUNE! I have the stock Lightning pulley and my air-fuel is a little too lean (not ideally safe). I've made about 12 passes on a dyno to verify this. if you want to see the graphs, go to: http://www.mafterburner.com/Modded_dyno.htm and check out the second graph on the page, green line (433rwhp, 426rwtq).

Mark

46stang

Established Member
warranty repairs won't be a problem for me! Thats all i'll say about that.
Yea, I'm going to try and get it dyno tuned this friday! Thanks for the graph. very impressive hp. Congrats! I'll just have to take it easy for 4 more days.
Leon

Snakebitten

5150 SVT Poster
Established Member
#1, I thought you needed a chip with the 4 lb or it didn't work right.? #2, How are you going to get around the tell tale glue on the pulley threads?(or wherever it's at)

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by Snakebitten
#1, I thought you needed a chip with the 4 lb or it didn't work right.? #2, How are you going to get around the tell tale glue on the pulley threads?(or wherever it's at)

1. It'll work but it'll run LEAN.

2. There is no glue and there are no threads.

Mark

Matt03

Established Member
Can you get me the part number of the lightning pulley that adds 4 lbs. of boost and the number of the belt as well. Is it the good year v-belt?

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by Matt03
Can you get me the part number of the lightning pulley that adds 4 lbs. of boost and the number of the belt as well. Is it the good year v-belt?

As far as I know, the pulley itself is not sold by Ford separate from the blower snout.

The Goodyear Gatorback Poly-V belt that you want with the L pulley is 4080745 (74.5" length).

Mark

NXCobra

Established Member
I think I am missing something, but I did not see a link or a phone number for South Florida Pulley. Please include this.

Thanks!

HAVEIGHT 13R

Established Member
Ah another satisfied soul with more boost! You got to enjoy that extra pull all around right? Isn't it great how it pulls you back in your seat. I would suggest getting a aftermarket boost guage now. Keep the power comiing, it just gets better from there right!:thumbsup:

Terminator03

banned
Thats sweet man, im debating right now what pully to get and what brand. Im thinking about the JDM interchangable. But correct me if im wrong i thought the L pully was 2 more pounds of boost and not 4? Keep us posted on the dynos.

SVTman74

stupid people make me mad
Established Member
let me get this straight

YOu bought a 4lb increase pulley...essentially moving your boost to 12lbs?? and it cost 200 dollars with a 40-50 rwhp increase.

Now I am not flaming in noway at all I have a 95 tbird SC and am curious, I spent 60 bucks for a 5% overdrive pulley ( meaning the pully is approx. 5% smaller in dia. than the stock pulley of a 89-93 SC..94-95 sc pulleys were a lil bigger than the earlier pulleys. We are running M-90 eatons. it gave me about 5 psi with a open exhaust ( nocats ,flowsmasters) I max out at 17 psi

Am I missing something? are you guys acually getting more than a pulley for 200bucks seems high and so do those HP numbers

c5hardtop

Established Member
Re: let me get this straight

Originally posted by SVTman74
YOu bought a 4lb increase pulley...essentially moving your boost to 12lbs?? and it cost 200 dollars with a 40-50 rwhp increase.

Now I am not flaming in noway at all I have a 95 tbird SC and am curious, I spent 60 bucks for a 5% overdrive pulley ( meaning the pully is approx. 5% smaller in dia. than the stock pulley of a 89-93 SC..94-95 sc pulleys were a lil bigger than the earlier pulleys. We are running M-90 eatons. it gave me about 5 psi with a open exhaust ( nocats ,flowsmasters) I max out at 17 psi

Am I missing something? are you guys acually getting more than a pulley for 200bucks seems high and so do those HP numbers

The one they are ordering is in stock lighnting sizes, 2.93, and actually is capable of more like 14-15 psi, more like a 6-7 psi boost acording to the manufactor. The price is supply vs demand, and there are much fewer 03 Cobras than are SC Tbirds, and people that are willing to pay $35k for a Mustang probably don't mind blowing $200 on a pully, its not much money.

:coolman: Tbird BTW

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Re: Re: let me get this straight

Originally posted by c5hardtop

The one they are ordering is in stock lighnting sizes, 2.93, and actually is capable of more like 14-15 psi, more like a 6-7 psi boost acording to the manufactor. The price is supply vs demand, and there are much fewer 03 Cobras than are SC Tbirds, and people that are willing to pay $35k for a Mustang probably don't mind blowing $200 on a pully, its not much money.

:coolman: Tbird BTW

Hey C5hardtop,

You continue to say that the lightning pulley "actually is capable of more like 14-15 psi, more like a 6-7 psi boost acording to the manufactor." I've read this from you in this forum and on other boards also. What facts do you have to back this up?

I've done some base calculations and based on theory and physics, it *appears* to me that the maximum boost obtainable from the stock Lightning pulley is around 12.5psi if you take into account the blower's non-ideal volumetric efficiency.

If you run the same calculations using 100% VE, then yes it appears like you'd get 15psi of boost BUT that will not happen in reality. If you have facts, please share them with us. Thanks.

Mark

SonicMike

Established Member
To clarify a little, for 195 shipped you get an interchangeable pulley system. Not just a pulley. I honestly don't know yet how much of an increase in boost it provides. I do know this- when you first wail on it it feels like it's worth way more than $200.
Also, I think JDM gets their interchangeable upper pulley systems from South Florida Pulley Headquarters. If this is wrong, I apologize.

Mike

46stang

Established Member
here is a link to the website:

http://www.southfloridapulleyhq.com/

I don't have a aftermarket boost guage so i don't know the exact amount of boost! there pulley's are interchangable so if i want even more boost i can put a 2.80 pulley on it, mine is 2.93 inch. i bought the correct size belt from them with the pullies! it's really a nice setup. excellent quality.

i think part of that 40-50rwhp increase is coming from a much leaner A/F ratio! in stock form it was pig rich! To me it feels like when i had my 96 gt and i did a headswap to PI heads! it made a night and day difference in the way the car performed! same feel as the extra boost gave me! (btw my 96 gained 50+rwhp from the swap)

It works fine without a chip but it's probably not the safest thing to do! A dyno tune will come soon!
Leon

c5hardtop

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: let me get this straight

Originally posted by mjchip

Hey C5hardtop,

You continue to say that the lightning pulley "actually is capable of more like 14-15 psi, more like a 6-7 psi boost acording to the manufactor." I've read this from you in this forum and on other boards also. What facts do you have to back this up?

I've done some base calculations and based on theory and physics, it *appears* to me that the maximum boost obtainable from the stock Lightning pulley is around 12.5psi if you take into account the blower's non-ideal volumetric efficiency.

Mark, just on SFP's website and info one of there reps gave here. I'd like to see real measured numbers too on one with just the basic bolt-ons, I believe SFP's claim is with Chip and Higher Octane gas. Your calculated figure is well thought out, but real is real. The "other posts" you refer to were before I spoke with SFP and when I was trying to figure out the differences between what some members were quoting (4-4.5), which probably came from your calculations and what SFP was reporting (7-8). You would think that most people that are running the 2.93 would end up with PCM/Chip mods at some time to.

"South Florida Pulley HQ is proud to introduce our NEW 2003 SC Cobra Mustang DUB 2.93 Unit , to replace the factory 3.65" stock Press-On SC Pulley. You can expect an additional 45 to 50 more Horsepower with this new setup, with Boost Levels producing 15 pounds of Boost at WOT, verses the stock 7 to 8 lb. Supercharger Pulley. WARNING! You must also have our Superchip Performance Chip or Performance Flip Chip , for this to work properly on your car. This new configuration produces 7 to 8 pounds more boost , under WOT, verses the stock supercharger pulley and Requires the USE of a Performance Chip , to obtain maximum performance!"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread