Hog Hunting with AR-15 Question

Fourcam330

Established Member
Ok, I know wrong gun to hunt with right, I know I know. However it's the only rifle I have and damnit I want to use it on something other than paper targets or watermelons.

So here are my choices 16" 5.56 upper, 20" 5.56 upper, or 18" 7.62x39mm upper. It's 100% Colt.

Location will be a ranch in Texas (not sure how big they get down there).

I was initially thinking the AK upper but then thought the 20" may be a better choice for higher velocity?

I've never been hog hunting before so any tips are appreciated. Including what kind of ammo to use.

Also need a reco for a scope, I guess something that works at night?

So LEOs and gun freaks take me to school. :beer:

Please don't say get a .308 because my next purchase will be a Barret 50 and while I would love to see what it would do to a hog, I don't feel like dropping the coin on one yet. ;-)

YoungJim

Established Member
Don't be surprised if people with experience suggest something bigger than even 7.62x39. That said I'd take a semi-auto over a bolt-action for the sake of quicker follow-up shots on something like that.

Jim

Fourcam330

Established Member
Don't be surprised if people with experience suggest something bigger than even 7.62x39. That said I'd take a semi-auto over a bolt-action for the sake of quicker follow-up shots on something like that.

Jim

What range do you usually hunt hogs from? I would think a 7.62x39 would hit harder (with less mass I get it) than a .45 revolver no? Sorry relative gun novice.

Thanks

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
16" .223 will suffice. a colt 16.1 heavy barrel with 1 in 9" twist is effective to 600m. How long you lookin to punch out on a hog?

Ammo should be cheaper too. If you're a good shot you shouldn't need anything more at decent ranges.

btw i assume Jim is talking about semi-auto gas powered rifle as opposed to single bolt action rifle.

Fourcam330

Established Member
16" .223 will suffice. a colt 16.1 heavy barrel with 1 in 9" twist is effective to 600m. How long you lookin to punch out on a hog?

Ammo should be cheaper too. If you're a good shot you shouldn't need anything more at decent ranges.

btw i assume Jim is talking about semi-auto gas powered rifle as opposed to single bolt action rifle.

Thanks for your post.

That's good because my 16" is sighted in, now what do you recommend for a good scope? ACOG? Are those nightvision?

I've never been hog hunting so I have no idea on the range at which we'll be engaging sorry.

Again I apologize for the novice questions and all help is appreciated.

Was going to run up to fin feather and fur to grab some funky ammo but what would you reocmmend as far as quality .223/5.56? And also what would be the most overkill ammo I could get my hands on for shits and giggles (.223 or 7.62x39? :)

Thanks!

YoungJim

Established Member

You got it regarding choice of action. I'd get out of the way of a man who is willing to take on hogs with a pistol!

Jim

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
if the place your going is anything like the place my dad went, you should end up close to close-mid range. apparently you spend the majority of the time running around chasing the damn things down, then once you get them cornered you gotta shootem' before they charge at you. definitely no sniper action going down, lol.

side note: the bacon from wild hog is straight up amazing!

Jim
what??? my dad went hog hunting and even the M1 carbine he took was more than enough. one of his friends took a 30-06(IIRC) and every cracked jokes about him going elephant hunting:lol1:

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Thanks for your post.

That's good because my 16" is sighted in, now what do you recommend for a good scope? ACOG? Are those nightvision?

I've never been hog hunting so I have no idea on the range at which we'll be engaging sorry.

Again I apologize for the novice questions and all help is appreciated.

Was going to run up to fin feather and fur to grab some funky ammo but what would you reocmmend as far as quality .223/5.56? And also what would be the most overkill ammo I could get my hands on for shits and giggles (.223 or 7.62x39? :)

Thanks!

I'm diggin the Aimpoint brand for sighting systems. Most of the aimpoints are good for low level light. Just up to you really what u need and what you're willing to pay.

Any quality brand ammo would suffice. If you go to an outdoor shop they will provide you with quality ammo.

maybe I don't understand the overkill question. :shrug:

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
How about a 6.8 SPC upper? I have a stag arms 6.8 and I love it.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
How about a 6.8 SPC upper? I have a stag arms 6.8 and I love it.

6.8 is a sweet cartridge!!!

OP check out a Remmy R-15 chambered in 450 bushmaster!

the .223 or 5.56 will do the job but it leaves little room for error however , Like i always tell people "shot placement is everything"

Last edited:

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
The last time I hunted feral hogs, I used a single shot Encore in .30-06 with 15-inch barrel and muzzle break. Carry a S&W .44 magnum as backup. They have tough hides and you can't always get a clear heart shot. If I were to use an AR in .223, I'd use 62grain steel core penetrator rounds (don't use these at your local range; they go right through the backstop).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
Thanks guys you rule!

Sorry what's a 6.8, total novice?

Gotcha on the steel core penetrator ammo.

.50 Beowulf upper, I can put a .50 upper on my AR15??? Seriously?

Thanks!

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Thanks guys you rule!

Sorry what's a 6.8, total novice?

Gotcha on the steel core penetrator ammo.

.50 Beowulf upper, I can put a .50 upper on my AR15??? Seriously?

Thanks!

Yup:

Impact Guns - Alexander Arms .50 Beowulf Entry 16" Upper

alex_beo_entry_upper.jpg

cRY-6lIEZEgjjlOGgXqOqgS9prkerd35el9sizb1xomCtQlybPnafmWWIjA5k2mzWBp4R9oNlk5YOwFZMF4fwe6FY1ZJoZJjnPB1fd11-cRBTXWHz-bB0kw2kiFs1P50w5GLDbV7bMtbYL6KE615-ZphTmCJ1Qoq5z_n-7f5okRUpW7bH3FL8UxPLj3urtYahA

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Some of the Texas feral hogs are pretty large depending on where you go.
Are you going with a knowledgeable local guy down here?
If so I would also check with him as to the size of the local animals.

This is some pretty good reading, if you have not been through it yet, it would be a very good idea.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_0195.pdf

"What is a hog shield that I hear about?
Feral hogs are equipped with a tough shoulder hide, which is made of a
tough scar tissue. This is formed through continuous fighting and it
hardens as the animal ages and survives more fights."

"How do I hunt feral hogs?
Although feral hogs are not classified as game animals, a hunting license
is required to hunt them. Feral hogs are very intelligent and considered
to be challenging quarry. Many hunters consider the long tusks and
mean appearance a genuine trophy, in addition to the quality of meat.
They also provide a great off-season challenge and opportunities to
hone hunting skills and spend time in the field.
There are many hunting techniques used, including stand hunting
over a baited area, quite often incidental to white-tailed deer hunting.
Stalking or still hunting over baited areas and areas indicating recent
hog activity, such as wallows, are commonly used techniques. Corn or
milo, often soaked in water and allowed to sour and then buried underground is good bait.
Night hunting with a spotlight is often used; however, the local
game warden must be notified beforehand. (There are certain laws
which prohibit using artificial light where deer are known to range.)
Hunting with well-trained dogs is another hunting method utilized and
can be very exciting. Because the feral hog has such a tough hide the
best rifle calibers to use should be a .243 or greater to prevent wounding and loss of the animal.
Bowhunting, muzzleloading, and handguns
are also popular among sportsmen to hunt feral hog"

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
I prefer a short barrel in close, brushy country; it's more maneuverable. And with a muzzle break, my 15-inch .30-06 has less recoil than my 15-inch .45-70 barrel (no muzzle break) on the Encore.

Last

Established Member
you could just use a shotgun and a helicopter!

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZeuaxEJnDE&feature=related"]YouTube - Helicopter Hog Hunt- Ganado,Tx[/nomedia]

An aimpoint would be best in my opinion for low light. as far as caliber goes I'd agree with the .223 penetrating round. a 62 grain .223 round carries almost as much kinetic force as the larger 6.8. But you'll be able to get through the hogs hide with the steel round.

Users who are viewing this thread