Hitting Rumble Strips

iismet

Established Member
I have been pounding rumble strips with the stock wheels.

Is there need for concern with an RPF1?

x-cliff

Last edited:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
There is never a need for concern unless you find a crack. You do inspect your wheels for cracks, don't you? ;-)

iismet

Established Member
Have not run them yet.

Thanks for pointing out the cracking possibility - We check the brakes after every outing - will add wheel inspection.

chr

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Sounds like a good plan. Looking for cracks while cleaning the wheels kills two birds with one stone by keeping your equipment looking pretty too :)

racebronco2

Established Member
On my ccw's i hit the rumble strips all the time, they don't crack, they bend. I have one bent wheel, it's been like that for the past 3 years.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Depends on the rumble strip/curb. If the strip isn't too aggressive I'll use the strip as part of the track and track out wider/apex tighter. Too aggressive of curbing and the balance of the car will be upset.

If the rumble strip is missing paint and is bare concrete right there's the line for that corner. If its still painted then more than likely you don't want to put a tire that far off.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
some curbing is there to be used. some curbing is there to keep you on the track and off the off the curbing. be sure you know which is which.

racebronco2

Established Member
Curiosity - You are still running the bent wheel or you have only bent one in three years?

chr

One bent wheel and i'm still running it.

Depends on the rumble strip/curb. If the strip isn't too aggressive I'll use the strip as part of the track and track out wider/apex tighter. Too aggressive of curbing and the balance of the car will be upset.

If the rumble strip is missing paint and is bare concrete right there's the line for that corner. If its still painted then more than likely you don't want to put a tire that far off.

I would agrre if it's a small crb i run over it, if it looks like it migt bend a wheel i don't. I never ever run over a painted curb when there is a chance of it being damp/wet.

darreng505

Established Member
I see new curbing at vir that clearly are there as a warning. not an invitation.

That's exactly right. The cement rumble strips you can use but stay off the FIA curbing. Especially between turn 5 & 6 on the left side and down the hill on 10 ( south bend) on the right. See you Sunday Rob!

Last edited:

David Hester

Established Member
Depends. If you hit hard enough to bend something, there may be a better way around. Not sure pounding curbing is ever a good idea. Riding up on them is no big deal. Turn 3 Rd Atlanta, you can ride up 2 wheels, cut too much and there are speed bumps. not good, a real wheel bender. At Barber, I use the curbing at Turn 10 B to get car up on two wheels to rotate for back straight.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Here is the curbing on the quick right T2-T3 left turn at the Kansas Speedway road course. Me thinks I will not be too aggressive on these two corners when NASA gets to race there.

When cars got too far up on them, the gators would really toss the ass end of the car back towards the center of the track. It made for a very good place to watch the races from.

BFDDAD3B-8C69-4BCC-A8F2-7CC79ABB8A64-1743-0000016E341A8DFF_zps1d41767f.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread