Hit a Curb!!

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
:fm:

Sorry I haven't been around guys, been real busy with school/military schedule...I have an update but obviously it's not a good one :(

Was making a left hand turn, roads were a little wet...guess I hit the gas a little too hard (was taking it easy too) and completely spun out....did about a 180 and that was with fighting it to keep it from going farther, unfortunately as I got it down in speed the passenger side rear tired slammed into a curb. Jacked the rim up pretty hard, piece of it fell off. I meant to take a picture, but I didn't.

Cobra was/is making an awful squeaking noise which seams to sound like it's in rotation with the tire. My guess is the rim is bent or possibly the axle, I probably hit it at about 10 mph so I'm not sure of the extent of damage.

Car is at the dealership tonight, should be getting a call tomorrow. I just don't have the time to take everything apart and wait on parts and all that...wish me luck!

1997cobrasvt

Established Member
that sucks!!! drive sloww in the rain!!i dont drive my car in the rain thanks to a dd....but i have driven it a few times and its so easy to loose control...sorry to hear hope it all works out nice and cheap.

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
I'm just glad I have a $500 deductible...those of you who don't you're crazy...our damn cars can get so expensive to repair

qkslvr221

Established Member
Weather really has been crap around here lately! I ended up getting a set of expensive BFG KDW NT's over some Nittos just for the wet weather traction, maybe you should look into them.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
With any luck it with just be a bent wheel and not your axle. Let us know what the final results are.

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
been at the dealership for ~ 19.5 hours and haven't heard anything yet, just called the guy and he wasn't at his desk...hoping to hear something soon...I cannot stand not knowing what's going on.

I really wish I had the time to do this myself

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
I did the same exact thing and bent the axle. The squeaking noise happened with mine too. When the car is moving the bent part of the axle or high spot forces the rotor into the caliper bracket and slowly grinds away at it thats why you have that high pitched squeal. I also bent the caliper bracket mounting plate that bolts the the end of the axle tubes which is most likely what happend in your case too.

You'll be suprised how slow you go in the rain from now on once you see the bill. When i had it fixed i put gears, a new posi and 31 spline mosers which was cheaper than replacing it with factory parts.

My94GT

Established Member
sounds like a bent axle, the squeaking would come from the barrings. but i could be wrong. i hit a cub hard when driving on some icey road. i hit it at about 20mph but ended up with just a bent rim.

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
good call folks, bent axle. New wheel, new axle, and new differential/lubrication it's gonna be ~$1200 out the door.

Coulda been worse!

Wish I could get ahold of him to tell him to start the work :(

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
32V FICobra said:
Gonna replace everything stock or upgrade with aftermarket parts?

stock for now since it's at a dealership...I do plan to upgrade in the rear end at some point, money is a little tight for a few more months though.

I will, however, be glad to accept donations

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
NinetySixSVT said:
stock for now since it's at a dealership...I do plan to upgrade in the rear end at some point, money is a little tight for a few more months though.

How about "Best wishes only":D

SVT Lurch

Good times
Established Member
NinetySixSVT said:
stock for now since it's at a dealership..
:nono:

That means it's time for 31 spline axles and diff. :thumbsup: Find the money.:coolman:

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
i did the same thing with my car only i was going about 40ish. no body work was done to it and no frame damage thankfully. but beware, the ford dealership took 2 1/2 months to complete mine:nonono: it should be a two week job at the most

Last edited:

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
it cost me 1200 for 31 spline mosers, eaton diff , 4.10s and everything else i need to install the gears plus new wheels bearings on both sides and seals

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
HandoZiZle said:
i did the same thing with my car only i was going about 40ish. no body work was done to it and no frame damage thankfully. but beware, the ford dealership took 2 1/2 months to complete mine:nonono: it should be a two week job at the most

??

Mine will be ready Thursday? No body or frame damage on mine either (thankfully)

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
1996MysticSnake said:
it cost me 1200 for 31 spline mosers, eaton diff , 4.10s and everything else i need to install the gears plus new wheels bearings on both sides and seals

I don't have $1200 right now...I'm only paying $500 out of pocket...I really don't have the extra $700 right now...I do plan on doing basically the same thing you did in about the spring though.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
2 weeks? all that work can be done in 2 hours... guess the dealers in your areas arent to excited about makin money...lol..

CobraBen98

GO SPURS GO!
Established Member

Dude! Let the dealer do it! They're gonna be in there replacing everything anyway. They're going to be ordering parts anyway. Let them do it! Trust me, I had a dealership use a ton of aftermarket parts that I wanted, they just have to order it. I don't think they'll have a problem with it, just ask them.

Users who are viewing this thread