high output alternator options

OKSnake08

Established Member
The alternator in my 08 GT500 died. I had it repaired at a local shop I have used many times with no issue. It has new owners and although it did charge properly I went out the next morning and the car was DEAD. I know the Shaker stereos have caused some battery drain so I assumed that was the problem especially since the head unit was cycling repeatedly trying to load CD's even though it was fully loaded. Pulled the stereo and recharged the battery overnight. Next morning car fires up no warning lights or messages and `~14.3 on the meter at idle. Next morning its the same thing completely dead. OK intermittent internal prob with battery was all I could come up with (batt was less than 2 years old and its my driver so it doesn't sit in storage) replaced the battery and once again everything is good. Dead again the next morning. Pulled the battery and bench charged for ~24 hours. Reinstalled the battery and disconnected the alternators connections. Next day all is well but I'm spooked. Repair shop wont do shit, I mean nothin'. Ordered an alternator from J2 Fab talked to them about shipping etc... on Friday and they would ship Monday. Apparently the owners wife has some new health issue and J2 went radio silent. Waited weeks but still nothing from them. Called mechman and left 2 messages in 2 days and no response. Lethal doesn't have anything in stock . I'm a little leery of PA as some people love em and some hate em. I havent dug in to the wiring changes that a Nations alt would require. Any thoughts or recommendations? Car is currently holding charge just fine and its been parked for weeks I'm confident the alt is the issue as the car maintains charge and I start it once a week just to check.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Does the truck alternator fit in these cars? They are usually higher output. I used to do that in the fbody cars, toss in a gm truck alternator, worked much better and you could just shoe-horn one in.

OKSnake08

Established Member
I'm not sure what would interchange but I'll look into it. I'm waving $100 bills around but I can't get an alternator. I'm still struggling with that o_O. I have a spare for my Super Duty so Ill start there. Thx

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I'm not sure what would interchange but I'll look into it. I'm waving $100 bills around but I can't get an alternator. I'm still struggling with that o_O. I have a spare for my Super Duty so Ill start there. Thx
Good luck, keep us posted. FWIW I haven’t needed to change an alternator in any of the S197 cars I have had (09 GT 500, 14 GT)… plenty of AC compressors though :ROFLMAO:, hate that stupid ****ing stretchy belt on the coyotes..

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I read it twice but might be missing something. It fires up fine and you read good voltage but the next morning the battery is dead. Why do you think it's the alt then?

Ok I see where you disconnected the alt then it was fine the next day. Crazy about Mechman, got my 370 from them. Mine went out and the fixed it and shipped it back within a week, great communication.

"Shorted positive diode will drain the battery with the key off and out."

"Bad voltage regulator in alt"

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
How to threads are for detailed how to threads, not help. Like how to add sprinkles to your ice cream. Moved.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
I got lucky and Lethal had a couple J2fab alternators in stock and I got the next day. I would hit up some car audio groups and go that rout. J&S, Singer, Brand X, US Alternators, ect

OKSnake08

Established Member
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum. I know it was long but wanted to skip the “did you” questions. I never would have thought to go down the higher end stereo angle. So I’ll dig around there. I’ve been concerned about the car in the long term since PCM’s are virtually unobtainable and this “can I not have a junky alternator “ isn’t helping.
I was hoping Lethal would have one in stock. They were,as always, helpful and even went and checked it was there. Tried to bill it and it said they didn’t have any. Turns out a crank support had been stocked in the wrong location but at least they double checked and avoided another problem.

Users who are viewing this thread