High mileage oil

king nothing

Established Member
My 17 year old went to get his oil changed yesterday and they hit him for an extra $21 for high mileage oil. Im sure they told him he "needed" it and he just said "OK" not knowing any better. Im debating on calling the manager. I feel like they took advantage of him by selling him something he didnt need or ask for because he didnt know any better

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
The cost is only a few cents more per quart over the regular oil by the same brand.

The high-mileage oils have added seal conditioners to help prevent leaks on older engines in which the gaskets may be starting to deteriorate. The also have some added components to assist in reducing wear based on the assumption that the clearances in an older engine are not what they were when new.

Bottom line is... don't waste your money.

U.M.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
The cost is only a few cents more per quart over the regular oil by the same brand.

The high-mileage oils have added seal conditioners to help prevent leaks on older engines in which the gaskets may be starting to deteriorate. The also have some added components to assist in reducing wear based on the assumption that the clearances in an older engine are not what they were when new.

U.M.

That's actually a good description. Many of the high mileage oils on the market today are semi-synthetic, which is why they cost more that regular conventional. However, $21 more is excessive. It shouldn't be more than a $10 surcharge.

ElCoyote

Lord SVT Contributor
Established Member
I wouldn't pay more than a few dollars more for the High Mileage Synthetic. Like Uncle Meat stated; it has some added seal conditioners but its nothing that'll give you an extra 5,000 miles.

Just keep dumping in your preferred Synthetic (RP, Mobile 1, Castrol, etc) in regular intervals and you'll be just fine.

My DOS centavos:rolling:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member

U.M.

Winning post in this thread. Meat is correct. If your engine isn't leaking, you do not need high mileage lubricants. If it is leaking, consider replacing the faulty seal or gasket first. If the vehicle isn't worth the repair, use HM lubricants to get you by until you sell it, or trade up for a better vehicle.

Last edited:

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
About 2-3 years ago, I transitioned four of our vehicles (3 Fords/1 Jeep) from Motorcraft Synthetic Blend to Mobil 1 Synthetic. Two of the vehicles had over 110 miles on them, so I used the Mobil 1 High Mileage for the first couple oil changes for the reasons Uncle Meat stated. Since then, I've switched back to regular Mobil 1 Synthetic. I have not have any leaks or issues with any of the vehicles. Knock on wood.

I've also used Motorcraft Oil Filters in all of them religiously. Last year I found out that the Motorcraft FL400S fits a 3.7L Jeep - nice!

(NOTE: I have always changed oil in all of them 2,000-3,500 miles, so they were clean to begin with)

kbmag1

Established Member
$21 for Valv HM and a MC filter at Wally...not seeing it as a waste. Vehicle has 220K, no engine / oil issues w/ 5K change intervals.

03dsgdreams

Established Member
My 17 year old went to get his oil changed yesterday and they hit him for an extra $21 for high mileage oil. Im sure they told him he "needed" it and he just said "OK" not knowing any better. Im debating on calling the manager. I feel like they took advantage of him by selling him something he didnt need or ask for because he didnt know any better

I am a manager of a Quick lube and over the years i have worked for a few different companies. None of the company's i have worked for ever encouraged me to lie or scam customers. I know there are places out there that do but i would say majority of these guys are explaining the benefits of the different types of oils to the customers and then letting the customer make there decision based on that information.

mp23

Established Member
This is from a personal standpoint and its anecdotal evidence but I switched it over in the family van that would go though quite a bit of oil, always had. The oil consumption has dropped noticeably.

Beast does Amsoil have a 'high mileage' oil, technically speaking?

I have an 02 Ford Escape with a slight leak. Its either coming from the oil pan or crank shaft seal. Its so slight I haven't bothered with a die.

Btw, Amsoil 10W-30 SS on my 03 COBRA IS SOMETHING SPECIAL. WHEN I USE THEIR 0w-30 ss I HAVE THE THREADS ON MY SPARK PLUGS, LITERALLY SOAKED WITH OIL. TO THE POINT I PANIC AND THINK I NEED TO CHANGE THE VALVE COVER GASKETS.

Pulled plugs 2day @ 118, 600k and on all (8) plugs had the first 3 threads on the plugs dry. Just 3 weeks removed running 10W-30 Amsoil SS. Those are stats.

mustang john

Established Member
I have a very high mileage 03 Lexus GX470, it currently has 375k and still rolling strong. I never used anything but 5w30 conventional oil, but in the cold of winter i started noticing that it would smoke more and more on cold starts. I am a Lexus tech for a living and have rebuilt my fair share of heads and knew it was the valve stem seals that were hardened from age and miles. I wasnt ready to tear into it and redo the seals so i gave the valvoline high mileage a shot. I was impressed, within two oil changes my full minute of smoke on cold starts was reduced to a few light puffs on start up. Maybe now i can make it to 450k before i am forced to tear into it lol.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
This is from a personal standpoint and its anecdotal evidence but I switched it over in the family van that would go though quite a bit of oil, always had. The oil consumption has dropped noticeably.

If there is a seal or gasket leaking which creates more oil consumption, a high mileage oil will "swell" those seals to reduce consumption. This is a good business case for a high mileage lubricant.

Beast does Amsoil have a 'high mileage' oil, technically speaking?

I have an 02 Ford Escape with a slight leak. Its either coming from the oil pan or crank shaft seal. Its so slight I haven't bothered with a die.

Btw, Amsoil 10W-30 SS on my 03 COBRA IS SOMETHING SPECIAL. WHEN I USE THEIR 0w-30 ss I HAVE THE THREADS ON MY SPARK PLUGS, LITERALLY SOAKED WITH OIL. TO THE POINT I PANIC AND THINK I NEED TO CHANGE THE VALVE COVER GASKETS.

Pulled plugs 2day @ 118, 600k and on all (8) plugs had the first 3 threads on the plugs dry. Just 3 weeks removed running 10W-30 Amsoil SS. Those are stats.

Negative, Amsoil doesn't formulate a high mileage lubricant. In this case, I suggest using something like Valvoline Max Life to get the remaining life from your engine.

I have a very high mileage 03 Lexus GX470, it currently has 375k and still rolling strong. I never used anything but 5w30 conventional oil, but in the cold of winter i started noticing that it would smoke more and more on cold starts. I am a Lexus tech for a living and have rebuilt my fair share of heads and knew it was the valve stem seals that were hardened from age and miles. I wasnt ready to tear into it and redo the seals so i gave the valvoline high mileage a shot. I was impressed, within two oil changes my full minute of smoke on cold starts was reduced to a few light puffs on start up. Maybe now i can make it to 450k before i am forced to tear into it lol.

Yet another good business case for the use of high mileage lubricants.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I am a manager of a Quick lube and over the years i have worked for a few different companies. None of the company's i have worked for ever encouraged me to lie or scam customers. I know there are places out there that do but i would say majority of these guys are explaining the benefits of the different types of oils to the customers and then letting the customer make there decision based on that information.

Can you say the same about "Just Brakes'? don't think so, they are known scammers. A few years ago I brought my Cobra to one for the hell of it just to see how much more their special $99 for both front and rear brake job service would cost after they diagnosed my ride. I'm sitting in the waiting room, the service manager comes in and says "We found some troubling stuff" You need new or at least rebuilt calipers,rotors are too thin and need to be replaced, etc.. etc.. to the tune of $1200. I laughed and said "those are powerslot slotted rotors with less than 15K miles,the calipers are fine and those are Russell stainless steel brake lines you say I need to change out,the Carbotech ceramic pads have been on for about 5K miles and you say those are gone too?" I told him I've been affiliated with a Ford High Performance speed shop for decades and the rumors are true about your company ...scammers... bye bye...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread